Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Broadway obstructed view seating charts? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/broadway-obstructed-view-seating-charts-596113/)

BarryK Mar 3rd, 2006 02:56 PM

Broadway obstructed view seating charts?

I've searched the web, but am unable to find a site that shows seating charts indicating obstructed views, where appropriate. Has anyone found such a site?

happytrailstoyou Mar 3rd, 2006 04:07 PM

Few seats on Broadway have an obstructed view, and I've never heard of a Broadway theater selling a ticket with an obstructed view and not notifying the buyer of it.

J62 Mar 3rd, 2006 04:21 PM

Some theaters do have seats with a "partial view". These are usually side orchestra seats, and you will not see the back side of the stage nearest you.

I've seen a 'partial view' listing on some broker sites for specific tickets - but don't know of any seating charts that list them.

seetheworld Mar 3rd, 2006 04:23 PM

The seating chart at Radio City indicates obstructed views -- usually seats behind the sound boards. But I haven't come across a site for Broadway.

BarryK Mar 4th, 2006 02:51 AM

A few weeks ago, we were on the TKTS line and wanted seats for Mamma Mia (Winter Garden Theatre). The agent said only thing left were obstructed view, so we passed. I went to broadwaybox.com to find discount tix for tomorrow and there's a bunch available - just want to make sure they are decent seats. I wound up buying Row A in the mezzanine, so I presume I'm safe...

grantop Mar 4th, 2006 09:41 AM

<Few seats on Broadway have an obstructed view, and I've never heard of a Broadway theater selling a ticket with an obstructed view>

Well, I have been in the front row center of an upper mezz and had the rail right in my line of sight (and I'm not short). I didn't want to lean forward as that would hinder the view of those behind me. There was no indication when I purchased the tickets that the rail was in your site line. I would be very interested if someone had a source for Obstructed View Seating Charts.

Neopolitan Mar 4th, 2006 10:21 AM

The worst seat I ever had for a Broadway show was a clearly marked and discounted "obstructed view" seat for Mame at The Winter Garden -- does that give you a clue how long ago this was?
Sadly, it was in Row A of the mezzanine, Barry K. It was way around the side and I could only see across the front of the stage. I presume there was scenery behind the actors.

Have you looked at the seating chart to see which seat you're in? I hope your seat number in Row A has three digits which would mean it is one of the center sections. If it is 1-23 or 2-46, it's on the side more. The higher the two digit number, the poorer the view.

BarryK Mar 4th, 2006 01:44 PM

Neopolitan - thanks for the warning. Yes, we're in the 100 block, in the center, not far from the aisle. I figured if there was a pole nearby, they'd probably put it by the aisle.

HowardR Mar 4th, 2006 02:09 PM

One "technical" correction on Neopolitan's response. If they are seats 1-23 on one side, the corresponding seats on the other side would be 2-24 (not 46). (The actual numbers would be 1-3-5-7-9-11-13-15-17-19-21-23 on one side and 2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-20-22-24).
I point that out because if someone got, say, seat B24, he/she might think it's better than it actually ism which would be on the extreme side!

J62 Mar 4th, 2006 05:51 PM

It isn't poles that obstruct views - I've never seen a theater with a pole at all and can't believe there is one at all.

It's the far sides of the audience that can't always see the whole stage. (and yes, there usually is scenery behind the actors.)

grantop Mar 4th, 2006 05:56 PM

And the problem that I had was a railing that ran along the top of the short "wall" in front of me, we were front row center of an upper mezz (but it was not the Winter garden)

Neopolitan Mar 4th, 2006 10:10 PM

Howard, you need to look at an actual seating chart for the Winter Garden, the two sides of the mezzanine are NOT equal. The numbers I gave are correct.

HowardR Mar 5th, 2006 05:12 AM

My profound apologies, Neopolitan. You are indeed correct. I've can't recall ever seeing a theater layout that was so "non-symmetrical"!
After looking at the floor plan of the theater, I'd recommend checking any Winter Garden mezzanine seat before buying!

enjoylife Mar 5th, 2006 12:16 PM

I bought a ticket to see Ring of Fire a few weeks ago from TKTS. I wish I'd known that I would barely be able to see 1/2 the stage. I was in the second row, last seat over (I think it was row A, seat 9). It was a waste of time going because I couldn't see most of what was going on.

HowardR Mar 5th, 2006 01:39 PM

enjoylife, chalk your bad experience up to a valuable lesson learned: If offered seats in the first few rows, make damned sure they are not too far over!

grantop Mar 5th, 2006 01:54 PM

what kills me is they will sell seats like the ones enjoylife bought and don't offer a reduced rate, or at least share the info that you won't be able to see the stage! I realize that this is not true for all venues as some seats are blatantly labeled "obstructed view" but maybe these others should be sold as "sucky view" at a reduced price?

Good advice Howard, to know exactly where the seats are and if you are purchasing in person or via phone, ASK about the view if you're not sure.

Kris629 Mar 7th, 2006 05:47 AM

I saw Movin' Out on Broadway and had an obstructed view. I couldn't see the top half of the stage where the piano player was seated. I bought the tickets at the TKTS booth and was not told they were obstructed.