Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

British couple buys p lane tickets on the internet and winds up in wrong contintent

Search

British couple buys p lane tickets on the internet and winds up in wrong contintent

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Dick

Did you hear about the young British couple booked their tickets on the internet. Instead of arriving in Sydney Australia....they wound up in Sydney , Nova Scotia.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/World...20805_216.html

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:02 AM
sandy

LOL, thanks for the laugh this morning!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:07 AM
brit

aww bless them, they will remember to CHECK details next time, I'd say!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:14 AM
idiots

What a couple of idiots! Did they not think to look at their tickets or iteniary before going to the airport. The got exactly what they deserved.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:26 AM
sad

You know they saw a cheap price and said "sold!" without looking at which Sydney. Funniest line of the article is that they really thought they landed in Sydney Australia. Goes to show, we ALL must be careful when booking on the internet.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:54 AM
xxx

Wow how stupid can you be?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Bob

Their first hint should have been when they got on an Air Canada flight in London.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Polly

My news reported that they were two 19 year old young men and they first realized that something was amiss when they we directed to a prop-jet at their Canadian landing site (dont rem where in Nova Scotia they landed originally). They are staying and making it an adventure.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Jen

Polly, have you READ the article quoted in the very first post on this thread? It says the same thing about the prop plane in Halifax, and furthermore of course it gives the travelers' names, one of which was Emma.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Alexis

What I find really stupid is that even after they landed in Halifax, they didn't realize their mistake. I mean Enland to Australia via Candada?! Have these people ever actually LOOKED at a MAP. If you were issued a ticket from New York to Tokyo with a connection in Paris, wouldn't you know something was up?!
<THUD>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Alexis

I meant to say England and Canada. Sorry, it's the first day with the new hands.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:09 AM
lisa

Reminds me of the time I booked a flight to Daytona beach...Got to the airport to pick up my ticket, and it was to Dayton, OH.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:21 AM
sheesh

People that stupid shouldn't be allowed to travel.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:23 AM
chelsea boy

What a couple of whankers!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Polly

Jen, excuse me for ruffling your feathers. I am just one of the stupid people who populate this sight. 'Fraid you will have to put up with us!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:56 AM
spelling please

chelsea boy, if you are going to swear, then please spell it correctly...WANKERS!!!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Bob Brown

Has the fact been definitely established that the two kids booked the flight themselves? I am wondering if some know-it-all parent got into the act.

Several years ago a friend of mine who was a UGA student in Athens went to New York City to visit family during her Christmas vacation. She took the train from Atlanta, which is a long and tiring trip. Her mother, who is not an American, is an authoratative, take charge, boss the children around type.
(I once met her. She is a very nice lady, but she and herding dogs have many traits in common.)

Mother decided that daughter should fly back to school when the holiday was over. So, Mom picked up the telephone and called the only airline she knew much about: British Airways.
When daughter got to JFK she began to wonder about things when the ticket agent asked for her passport. What really got her attention was the 2 hour layover at Heathrow.

Yep, Mom had booked through to Athens alright -- Athens, Greece.

Daugher got back to school a day late, not that it mattered.
At least she did not cross the Atlantic!!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:45 AM
eh

Eh, you folks should see what the Canada forum says about this.