Brimfield,MA antique show-places to stay

May 20th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Brimfield,MA antique show-places to stay

We are flying into Boston in Sept. and going down to Hartford, CT for a wedding on Sat. Sept.10th. Just noticed that the famous Brimfield, MA Antiques Fair will be going on Sept.6-10th. They say rooms in a 15 mile radius of the fair are usually booked far in advance. Would it be best to stay in the Hartford, CT hotel (where we are staying for the wedding), and backtrack the 45 miles to Brimfield if we want to go to the fair a second day, or what other closer towns would be recommended?
May 20th, 2011, 07:22 PM

You can try Springfield, but you won't find anything very close and what you might find are generally overpriced dumps.
May 20th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Worcester, MA, might be another possibility. It is about the same distance as Springfield, but the opposite direction. I think I would try Springfield first, though.
May 21st, 2011, 12:20 AM

I would just stay in Hartford and drive.

You already have the hotel.
May 21st, 2011, 12:21 PM

Sturbridge MA has lots of hotels/motels and is about 10 miles east on rt 20 from Brimfield. It is about 45 minutes from Hartford.
May 21st, 2011, 06:29 PM

Honestly, you'll be fine commuting from Hartford. You'll take 84 East out of Hartford and you'll be there in a jiffy. We make this a day trip from central CT every year, several times a year but I always love the September show the most because the weather's usually great.

You can GoogleMap it for approximate times but if you leave after 9:00 a.m. you won't get caught in the morning commute during the week. Hartford has some excellent restaurants too.

Good luck in Brimfield; maybe you'll find a treasure!
May 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM

Because I am curious I googled some information:

It's 54 minutes from Htfd. to Brimfield

It's 1 hour and 12 minutes from Hartford to Worcester and 35 minutes from Worcester to Brimfield

It's 35 minutes from Hartford to Springfield and 35 minutes from Springfield to Brimfield.

Staying in Hartford and going to Brimfield from there is a practical choice.
May 22nd, 2011, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who weighed in on this; Hartford it will be!
Jun 16th, 2011, 10:05 AM

This topic is still new so I'll add my question here. We are looking for a place to go for a girl's trip for 4 or 5 nights beginning July 9th. We are two moms and two teens (16 & 17) and live in south Texas and are in the middle of a drought and heat wave so we would like to go somewhere greener and cooler.

We've kind of been thinking of someplace in CA because it's cool but we've also considered Asheville because it sounds like a fun town with the galleries, shopping etc. Last night somewhere on the East coast was mentioned but we don't have any idea where and it's probably late to be planning a summer trip there.

Today Brimfield popped in my mind. I know we would want to go to Brimfield a day or two but have no idea what else there is to do in that area.

Any suggestions of what else there is to do in the general vicinity of Brimfield?

Thanks for the info already posted to this thread.
Jun 16th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Well, there isn't anything right there except antiquing and then only during the fairs. It is in the middle of nowhere. It was also hit by tornados earlier this month, and I would enquire before coming to make sure the next round of the fairs will go on.

The nearest tourist attreaction in Sturbridge Village, but assuming you want to do this trip reasonably soon, you will need to look at Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire to find what you want. Or in southern New England, Mystic, CT; the Berkshires or Cape Cod in Massachusetts (hills or beaches); or maybe Newport, RI.
Jun 16th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Sundownder, as Ackislander said,Sturbridge Village is about 8 miles east of Brimfield, just off route 20 and the town of Sturbridge is where there are motels and hotels that most of the "fleas" stay at. There are some weeks coming up fairly soon I think in July for the antiques.

With the girls, I would probably go to Maine. Go to Freeport on rainy days and shop, to any of the beaches (York, Wells, Ogunquit, Kennybunkport, Old Orchard) when it is nice and sunny.