Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bright Angel Lodge or Maswik in the Grand Canyon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bright-angel-lodge-or-maswik-in-the-grand-canyon-379619/)

diffy Nov 30th, 2003 01:34 PM

Bright Angel Lodge or Maswik in the Grand Canyon

My husband and I are able to get a room at Bright Angel that has a bathroom and a "shared shower". We are debating between this room, one at Maswik, Yavapi or a hotel outside the park enterance. Any thoughts or suggestions about these lodges would be very helpful! Thanks!

dixon Nov 30th, 2003 02:08 PM

I would stay away from the shared shower bit unless the cost differential is critical to your planning. I think you get more for your money outside the park, but then you have a short drive to make to reach the view points.

I stayed at the Maswick lodge once in the Summer. It was hot at the time, and we needed to leave the door open for cross ventilation. This time of year, that will be the least of your worries!

We had a large room, with more than adequate space because we were mostly outside of the room during the day.

One thing about the Maswick Lodge, it is close to the Bright Angel Lodge and therefore not far from the rim of the canyon.

We stayed at the Bright Angel lodge in a cabin type of room with a private bath. It was right beside the trailhead that led down into the canyon, so the rim was very near.
During the day there was considerable foot traffic in the area, but at night things were quiet. At the time the bed was not the world's best.

MaryZ Nov 30th, 2003 02:58 PM

Because Bright Angel is on the rim, and Maswick and Yavapai are not, I'd reserve the Bright Angel room. Then, I'd call frequently to see if a room had opened up at El Tovar, Thunderbird, or Kachina. (You wouldn't be sharing showers at any of them.)

desertduds Nov 30th, 2003 06:03 PM

Definitely try for Kachina or Thunderbird(they are identical and next to each other), rim front...second floor...they are the best location for everything at the canyon and even views from your room are great.

Paul Nov 30th, 2003 06:13 PM

For future reference, would you consider El Tovar better than Thunderbird, Bright Angel, or Kachina? The park website makes it look nicer/more interesting.

diffy Nov 30th, 2003 06:18 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. However, we are finding it challenging to get a reservation at one of the lodges on the rim. Any thoughts about Maswick vs. Yavapai??

gail Dec 1st, 2003 03:54 AM

People have posted here that they have had positive results if they keep calling the reservation number for cancellations.

A shared shower would not do it for me either, but Maswik is a walk from the rim - across several streets, railroad tracks, through a wooded area. I disagree with poster who described hotels outside the park as a short drive. We stayed at Bright Angel this summer and on the drive out of the park we all remarked on who far the hotels outside the park seemed and how we would not have wanted to stay there. It would have negatively impacted the experience of being at the Grand Canyon - they were mostly chains along a nondescript roadway - you could have been anywhere in the country.

I would book Maswik and keep calling for a cancellation.

desertduds Dec 1st, 2003 05:25 AM

For Paul.....El Tovar is, by far, more interesting and historic. Kachina and Thunderbird Lodges are located exactly between Bright Angel and El Tovar...Kachina/T-bird are motel-like rooms, large, two beds(as far as I know) and have large picture windows overlooking the canyon. As I understand, some of the El Tovar rooms vary in size and location, so I choose the known and always stay at Kachina/T-bird and eat at Bright Angel steakhouse and El Tovar...they are all within steps of each other.

Kay5 Dec 1st, 2003 06:00 AM

How far out are you trying to reserve for? I started about 6 months in advance and was able to "move up" as the date drew nearer. Originally I booked Maswik, then kept calling & watching the Internet site and switched to a Thunderbird canyon-side 2nd floor room when it came available (from a cancellation?).... kept trying for a Bright Angel cabin, but that never happened.
The Thunderbird room was OK. A bit "tired", but the location was wonderful so close to the rim and bus stop. Contrary to what I had been told, there was a TV and phone in the room and an ice machine in the building.
Be careful if you plan to arrive at the park after dark. Nothing is clearly marked and there is very little lighting. We drove in circles until finally finding the check-in, then were told that there are 15 parking spaces for the entire Thunderbird Lodge! Quite a challenge in the dark finding parking and dragging luggage to the room.

FainaAgain Dec 1st, 2003 02:24 PM

Maswik is so close to the Bright Angel that I wouldn't even consider a shared shower! It's a very short walk, and the sidewalk is paved.

diffy Dec 1st, 2003 06:41 PM

I have completely given up on the shared shower. Kay, We are going in early April. I'll take your advice and keep calling and see what happens. Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Paul Dec 2nd, 2003 03:09 AM

Thanks for your observations and opinions, desertduds. Much appreciated!

Paul