Bright Angel Lodge and Grand Canyon

Aug 29th, 2000, 07:28 AM
Patty T

Bright Angel Lodge and Grand Canyon

Will be driving from Las Vegas to GC and staying at the Bright Angel 1 nite. Not a very long trip to do much but a few walks. any sugesstions? Are there tram trips to various lookouts or can we just drive? Should we stop at the Imax before we hit the park? When we get to our Lodge will there be info on various Ranger campfire talks etc. Thanx for any information...Patty

Aug 29th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Neal Sanders

Patty, you'll find information on ranger talks and organized hikes in the information you get at the park entrance, and you'll find it repeated and updated in the lobby of Bright Angel Lodge.

As to walks, the Bright Angel Trail down into the canyon starts a few hundred feet from the lodge; you can walk as much or as little of it as you care to. The rim trails run east and west for 20+ miles. The West Road is closed to autos except during the winter months, but a tram will take you out to Hermit's Rest (about seven miles) and you can walk all or part of the way back; there are half a dozen tram stops between Hermit's Rest and Bright Angel. The East Road is open to auto traffic; you may want to just drive to several of the overlooks and enjoy the panorama.

As to the Imax show, I haven't seen it, but I can't imagine how it could compare to the real thing, which is just seven miles away.

Aug 29th, 2000, 10:11 AM
Dave

Patty,

The IMAX is not a bad way to kill an extra hour or two, but you're not going to have an extra hour. I think your time would be better spent at the Canyon itself.

Dave

Aug 29th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Bob Brown

I suggest that you check the open/closed areas to private vehicles when you get there. This summer some of the view points, like Yavapai Point, to the east of the main complex were closed to private vehicles. So the shuttle bus was the only way to get there other than a long walk.
The West Rim Drive is a great place from which to view the inner recesses of the canyon. It is closed as indicated above. I boarded the shuttle tram close to Bright Angel Lodge and rode it to the first overlook. Then, I walked to the next ones. I found that by getting away from the overlooks, I had a private view so to speak in that there were very few people around. The tram going out to Hermits Rest stops at every viewpoint.
Coming back it bypasses all but two or three of them. So I would do my jumping on and off going out and figure on an express trip coming back. The various Canyon bus routes interlock with several interchange points.

Aug 30th, 2000, 05:39 AM
Lynne

Do take the time to during your one night to drive to the canyon rim away from the park hotels, turn off the car and lights and check out the stars. They are so vivid out there and you may want to sit a while and watch for shooting stars.

Aug 30th, 2000, 07:15 AM
Don Smith

The Bright Angel trail will be practically right out your door. As Neal says you can make a hike down Bright Angel as long or short as you would like. A good rule of thumb is it will take about twice as long to hike up as it does to hike down so budget your time accordingly.

I stayed in the dorm type rooms at Bright Angel Lodge and will never do so again. The walls were pretty thin and some people came in late at night after drinking and were loud. Some people got up before sunrise to start their hikes and were loud. If I was staying at Bight Angel again I would stay in one of the cabin units.

I would skip the IMAX and do all the other suggested activities posted. Have fun, the GCNP is my favorite place on earth.

Aug 31st, 2000, 06:40 AM
topper

Sep 5th, 2000, 10:56 AM
lisa

Hi Patty. I just got back from the Grand Canyon and stayed at Bright Angel in a cabin for 2 nights. You got good advice & info from others above. Just wanted to say that in my opinion I would not bother with the IMAX. I did see it and parts of it are wonderful and parts of it are embarrassingly bad. Overall I would not recommend spending your time or money that way when you will be at the Canyon only one night -- maximize your time there. One piece of advice: if you are in decent enough physical shape to walk down a short distance into the canyon, I would recommend it (as long as you can manage the walk back out) -- or ask at the transportation desk about the half-day mule rides. You will get a totally different perspective on the canyon from inside it, even if you don't go all the way.

Search this Thread