Search

Bridge Phobia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2022, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridge Phobia

We are heading to Langhorne PA in the Fall and I am petrified of tall bridges. Is there anyone out there that knows of a route from Haverhill Massachusetts Rte 93 or Rte 495 or even Boston to Sesame Place in Langhorne PA without going through the city or major bridges. Nervous of the height and waters. Are there any back roads. Thank you.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 12:08 AM

There is a way that involves city streets. In Connecticut take the Taconic and Hutchinson River Parkway to the Cross County Parkway to the Sawmill River Parkway. Take the Sawmill River Parkway south and exit on Riverdale Ave. Take that street down to 230th St. and turn left on 230th to go to Broadway. Take a right on Broadway and go south to Dyckman street (you will have to use a low bridge to cross the Harlem River at 225th st.). Keep on going on Broadway to Dyckman and make a right on Dyckman street to take the West Side Highway to the Lincoln Tunnel or Holland Tunnel which will take you to New Jersey where you can rejoin I95 south.

Someone else will have to guide you over the Delaware River, as I am not familiar with that area.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A couple of ideas.

Are you the only driver, or can someone else take over crossing the bridges?

As mentioned in the ancient thread you resurrected, the lower level of the GW is more like a highway than a bridge. Stay in the left lane and you'll scarcely know you're on a bridge.

The Mario Cuomo Bridge over the Hudson (replaced the Tappan Zee) is mostly a low causeway, with a rise at the shipping channel to allow ships to pass. Might not be too scary.

There are some low bridges in the Albany area -- way out of your way.

How about taking a train to Philadelphia or close by and renting a car to get to Sesame Place?
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 06:41 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in the Langhorne area and just in my small corner, there are 4 bridges and no way around crossing one to get to Langhorne from NJ. Even if you go further North or South there are only bridges. If you don’t like big bridges, medium and small ones probably freak you out too. You might be able to avoid them if you don’t go through NJ.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you I would then need a route to avoid New Jersey. What about avoided New York. I am skeptical about trains.

Originally Posted by sassy27
I live in the Langhorne area and just in my small corner, there are 4 bridges and no way around crossing one to get to Langhorne from NJ. Even if you go further North or South there are only bridges. If you don’t like big bridges, medium and small ones probably freak you out too. You might be able to avoid them if you don’t go through NJ.
thank you.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 04:56 PM

You can find a route that avoids NJ altogether. That would avoid the wider part of the Delaware River. You are still going to have to cross the Hudson River.
List of crossings of the Hudson River - Wikipedia
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 12:34 PM

It depends how bad this fear is, I'm sure someone has to cross a small bridge somehow no matter where you live.

It's a longer route on paper, but given I hate I95, it's not that bad. I was just going to suggest going over to Waterbury and then take I84 across to PA and then come down 87/287 or something. That bridge across the Hudson isn't tha tbad to me (Newburgh), but if that's still to much, just go west across Vermont over through Bennington, crossing the Hudson near Albany/Troy is almost nothing. The Green Island Bridge for route 7 from Bennington across is a really low and short bridge.

this is it