Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Breckenridge vs. Telluride (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/breckenridge-vs-telluride-476321/)

beachjaunt Sep 24th, 2004 08:03 AM

Breckenridge vs. Telluride

I thought I chose Telluride for my Colorado trip but if I go when I want to, many things are still closed. Breckenridge opens Nov. 12 (weather dependent) and the trip was originally planned Nov. 11-14 and I found a pretty cheap condo that would save me money. Any suggestions and comparisons to Breckenridge vs. Telluride?

Thanks, and sorry for the million questions!

JackOneill Sep 24th, 2004 08:13 AM

Do you want to ski? Is that essential to the trip?

Although I like Breckenridge, it doesn't hold a candle to Telluride as far as being a great little town. Breckenridge is a little to "Disney-fied."

beachjaunt Sep 24th, 2004 08:40 AM

I've never been skiing but would like to try. Mostly I want to go for the scenery, mabye snowmobiling and a sleigh ride (which I hear Telluride is good for). I've never been to Colorado and really just want to go for the scenes and to experience snow because we I'm at, it never snows.

Austin Sep 24th, 2004 09:10 AM

We were in Telluride in the summer 2 years ago. It's a very cool town, so picturesque. It must be absolutely gorgeous in the winter.

JackOneill Sep 24th, 2004 10:25 AM

I think November is a little chancey as to the snow thing. It'll definately be up in the mountains, but whether it'll be any lower to go snowmobiling or sleigh riding is iffy.

I have a friend who lives in Aspen and he tells me they just had their first snow last week. Of course, it didn't stick around.

November is just an unpredictable month as to snow. But Colorado is still a wonderfull place to visit.

antmaril Sep 24th, 2004 10:32 AM

We were in Breckinridge for the day in July and thought it was a lovely town. Have never been to Telluride, so I can't comment.

LOVED Colorado!!!!

MaureenB Sep 24th, 2004 03:23 PM

Breckenridge may plan to open Nov. 12, but it's iffy what conditions they'll have that early, if any. It and Telluride are two completely different towns, two different locations entirely. Breckenridge sits on a loop of developed sites in Summit County-- Keystone, Copper, A-Basin, Frisco--relatively close to Denver, with Vail over the hill. Telluride is more on its own, and is a long enough drive from Denver. But it's a spectacular place, and personally my favorite of the two. Could you fly into and out of Telluride? If so, I'd go there hands down.

Lexma90 Sep 24th, 2004 05:30 PM

At either place, I think it's very unlikely that there would be enough snow for snowmobiling or sleigh rides. Do a search in each town for activites like that, call the companies, and see when they usually open.

Early season skiing, even in good years, tends to be one or two runs open with lots of man-made snow. Enough to say you've done it, but that's about it.

I'm not sure what in Breck will be open in mid-Nov. either. To be honest, we have a condo in Breck, and rarely go up in Nov., unless they have good snow over Thanksgiving weekend, and then only for the day.

Breck is a nice town, but has a bit less of Telluride's charm, as it's much closer to Denver, so lots more people can get there easily. Like Telluride, however, it's a former mining town, with some real history and some of the original buildings from that era. It's easy to get around in without a car.

If you're going to experience snow, you SHOULD be able to experience at least some, though you never know. There are plenty of areas around Breck where you could go for a walk or possibly a hike where you'd see some snow and enjoy the scenary. The indoor ice rink will be open. There's a good local theater. Other than that, I don't know what would be going on at that time of year.

eduardo Sep 30th, 2004 01:19 PM

Telluride is where you want to go. Breck. doesn't compare. I went there last Thanksgiving. It had not snowed yet there but on Thanksgiving eve and day it snowed almost 3 feet. Beautiful!

disneynan Sep 30th, 2004 02:35 PM

BreckenRidge and all of Summit County is some of the most gorgeous landscape in the country...as is Telluride, but Summit is just so much easier to get to! Unless you have alot of time and want to spend it driving, my vote would be Breck or Keystone (which we love better than Breck)The area is not as isolated or expensive as Telluride, and is a little more than an hour drive from the airport! 4 major ski-area's, can't go wrong...LOVE SUMMIT COUNTY...

lenleigh Oct 1st, 2004 12:05 AM

I may be wrong but I thought Beachjaunt might be driving (from Texas??) and if so, I believe Telluride is closer. If they fly, they can fly into Telluride and altogether skip the 1-2 hour drive to Summit county. I definitly like summit county but agree that Breck doesn't compare at all to Telluride. I love how the town of Breck looks but it's gotten really crowded on the mountain and you just really have to watch out for people. I think Breck or Keystone would still be enjoyable but just not the same experience as Telluride. I think the biggest benefit to Summit county is how close other towns/resorts are to each other in case you want to try something else.