Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Breckenridge, Steamboat, Keystone, Purgatory or Crested Butte?

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Debbie

Looking for a nice easy "crusing" mountain, with lots of greens and blues, in a place with a nice "ski village" atmosphere.

Also looking for a place with either great in-village places to stay or great ski-on/ski-off condos at moderate prices, that are not run-down because they're so ancient. Not intereted in anything on the price scale of Vail or Aspen.

We like down-home, friendly, not chic when we ski. Sleigh rides, casual restaurants, shopping, etc.

These areas have been recommended to us - would appreciate comments from anyone who has been there are to the skiing, village atmosphere, and price.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:56 PM
bm

I think you'd like Breckenridge. The ski area is right in town-lots of good restaurants/bars to peruse after a day on the slopes. Breck has good beginner/intermediate terrain-lots of it actually! Keystone is just up the road a few miles, so you could visit there for some variety. Also a good beginner/intermediate mountain.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:32 PM
r

I agree with Breckenridge. Crested Butte is charming but a very small town. If you like small that's the place. I think you'll find more happening in Breck., however.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Paige

For what you are looking for I would eliminate Keystone. There really is no "town" there. The other three would all meet your requirements. I've only skied Steamboat once and Breckenridge a few times. Crested Butte is our choice year after year. Three things that attract us are: 1) It is a real down-to-earth mountain town and ski resort, 2) Kids pay their age for lift tickets, 3) Easy for us to drive to. That being said, if you are flying to Denver and renting a car, Breckenridge is certainly the easier drive. As I recall, Steamboat is four hours from Denver, maybe more. I'd fly into Colorado Springs if I was going to Crested Butte.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:47 AM
x

You can fly directly into Steamboat.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Lexma90

I've never been to Crested Butte, but between the other 3, Breckenridge & Steamboat would both fit the bill (there is no town to Keystone). Steamboat, being further from Denver, gets fewer day-skiers, so it tends to be less crowded, gets a bit more snow in general, and probably the lodging is a little more moderate (though I can't say that for sure). Yes, you can fly into Steamboat, but depending on how that might increase your airfare and your willingness to fly into smaller airports, you may choose to fly into Denver & drive from there.

I don't know that there are many ski-in/sky-out places to stay in Steamboat, though there are many in Breckenridge. Many of the places in Steamboat have free shuttles (that run frequently) to the base of the mountain.

Breckenridge, in the middle of Summit County, is close to Keystone, Copper Mtn, Vail & Arapahoe Basin, so you could ski at those places if you wanted; Steamboat is pretty much off by itself. Both Steamboat & Breck have sleigh rides, and horseback rides, snowmobiling, etc., casual restaurants and shopping. At Breck, it's possibly to stay at a place that's ski-in/ski-out or on the ski resort shuttle bus routes AND be withint walking distance of downtown. At Steamboat, there are restaurants in the ski resort area, that are probably not really walking distance of most of the condos (though again, you could take the shuttles), and the town is actually several miles from the mountain (though the shuttles will take you into town too). Steamboat has a bit more of an "old-west" feel to it.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:14 AM
bly

Debbie:

I second Steamboat or Breck.

There are several ski-in/out places in Steamboat Village. The Village is the "resort" some restaurants and nightlife, but the majority of other activities are in the town, a couple miles away. Great bus system.

Breck is a great town - generally walking distance to slopes, restaurants and nightlife.

Be advised that in ski resort lingo - ski-in/ski-out means that you can literally walk out the door and put on your skis. If you have to walk 20 yards across a plaza or down a path, it is not ski-in/out, its "walking distance." This could mean the difference in several hundred dollars over the course of a few days. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. The closer to the slopes, the more expensive the rate. Additionally, unless you're staying at a time share condo complex, the condos are individually owned and decorated. So for the same rate, you might get a unit that was redecorated in 70s olive green or remodeled last year. Always check and ask that the reservationist make a note for a nicer unit if available. b

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:23 PM
coskier

"a place with either great in-village places to stay or great ski-on/ski-off condos at moderate prices, that are not run-down because they're so ancient."

You will need to define moderate. Any ski-In location will cost more. Steamboat is having a rough time this year there maybe bargains there. Breck is the MOST popular ski area in North America, not the best just the most popular. If your not so interested in the skiing Breck is a fun town. Just not a great ski mtn.

Also its been warm here you might look at the resorts web pages for base depth snow reports and decide. Again only if you are coming for a SKI vacation.

Copper also is running some deals through skigolfvacations.com, its not a town but the village is ok. A friend got a brand new 1 bedroom at the village for 125.00 a night. You did not say when your coming, if its March all bets are off. that is HIGH season.

Another thing to think about is Frisco, if you have a car its central to all summit resorts and costs much less. A cute little town.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:29 PM
sister

Dont' do Purgatory..although I like the town of Durango, the mountain is 20 miles away. Crested Butte is OK--but the town is 2 miles from the mountain. Breckenridge or STeamboat get my vote!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:17 PM
depends

Debbie,

Breckenridge will be more crowded and less 'blue' friendly for that reason. Snowboarders are everywhere and that's not conducive to beginning skiiers. Steamboat would be my choice for that reason. The Sheraton is a great place to stay plus there are dozens of true "ski-in, ski-out" condos for rent. The village is nice and very down to earth. In my opinion (the very reason why I don't sign my real name--fear of flame) Breckenridge has become too "Colorado"--impressed with its name, commercial and overrun with tourists. Steamboat is true old west and tons of fun. We love it winter and summer--have fun where ever you go.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Fred

My vote would be for Steamboat. Better snow ( a lot more of it then the Summit area) better mountain, fewer people.

Breckenridge the MOST favorite ski area in NA? Get out. I've lived here for all of my 42 years (been skiing for that last 39) and never heard that, even as a joke.

Fred

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 10:22 PM
xxx

Just returned from a three day weekend at Copper Mtn, and unless they receive some major snowfall in February and March, it's going to be a short season there. Runs were extremely icy and we spent our days trying to avoid exposed rock and grass, even on the blue runs. The one compliment I can give Copper is that they have a very friendly and professional staff.

IMO, Copper is trying too hard to compete with Vail, what with all the brand new lodging on the previously free parking areas, and the shuttle buses that drop you off nowhere near the lift lines. It's such a joy to hike a mile in your ski boots! They want $57/lift pass (full price, w/o discounts) to ski there, and it is NOT worth it; it's not Vail, just a Vail wannabe. As someone said, they are busily trying to attract wealthy out-of-towners rather than catering to their primary customers -- Colorado residents. If you want a no-frills, good old fashioned ski resort that caters to skiiers rather than tourists, try Ski Cooper near the Divide. It's affordable, family friendly, down home, non-glitzy, not a condo in site, no cheesy apres-ski crap, just good skiing.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:48 AM
coskier

Hey Fred I SAID that it is the most POPULAR, Not the best. Breck for some reason gets the most skier visits in NA. This has been reported in numerous ski mags as well as in the Summit Daily News. Lighten up will ya. Jeez.

I far prefer Steamboat for skiing.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:51 AM
coskier

"Ski Cooper near the Divide. It's affordable, family friendly, down home, non-glitzy, not a condo in site, no cheesy apres-ski crap, just good skiing."

excellent suggestion here! They also have 2-1 coupons on skicoupons.com

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:58 AM
A.M.

Actually, the most popular AND the best ski area in North America is, of course, Whistler/Blackcomb, B.C. Over 2 million visitors last year and so much ski terain that you don't even notice. Great ski/in ski/out and great village. Hey, y'all brought up the North America bit, so I bit!!!
A.M.