Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Breakfast in San Francisco (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/breakfast-in-san-francisco-477406/)

Frank Sep 29th, 2004 07:53 AM

Breakfast in San Francisco

Any favorite breakfast places in San Francisco? We loved Sears, but unfortunately it's closed, any other suggestions would be appreciated. Not interested in brunch, and looking for reasonably priced places. Thanks.

og719 Sep 29th, 2004 08:36 AM

Though it's known primarily as a bar, the Buena Vista has excellent breakfasts, or at least it did a few years ago. Great Eggs Benedict!

sunshine Sep 29th, 2004 08:43 AM

Dottie's Tru Blue Cafe on Jones St. I had chocolate chip french toast. YUM!!!! Now I'm back on the Southbeach Diet. lol.

stellaluna Sep 29th, 2004 11:42 AM

Savor on 24th Street in Noe Valley: try the ginger pancakes!

Enya Sep 29th, 2004 01:40 PM

Second for Dottie's True Blue.

Patrick Sep 29th, 2004 02:05 PM

Way more upscale than Sears, but really good and still reasonably priced is Kuleto's, also in the Union Square area.

I know some great places out in the Marina or Cow Hollow area, although I was sad to see Doidge's close. There's a really good place that's separate but in the Cow Hollow Motor Inn called First 'somethingorother'. It used to be First Watch but they changed their name when they sold.

There are a number of Il Fornaio's scattered about the city and they are great for breakfast.

And there's my favorite, Ella's, out on Presidio at California, but you'll probably have to stand in line to eat there.

sequess Sep 29th, 2004 04:42 PM

The best pancakes I've ever had are at a tiny place called Chloe's on Church St. in Noe Valley.

LoveItaly Sep 29th, 2004 07:17 PM

Kuleto's has a wonderful breakfast menu. If you are staying around Union Square I would encourage you to eat there one morning.

cher_cher Sep 29th, 2004 09:14 PM

Without a doubt, Dottie's :D

mikemo Sep 30th, 2004 03:01 AM

The Lemon Souffle Pancakes with fresh Raspberries and Rapberry Sauce @ the Hot. Stanford Court are world class!
M

Frank Sep 30th, 2004 05:12 AM

mikemo: We'll be staying at the Stanford Court, how much does breakfast at the hotel run?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

cher_cher Sep 30th, 2004 06:43 AM

I keep forgetting to get those lemon pancakes. One of these days...

Kal Sep 30th, 2004 08:06 AM

Ditto BV and Kuleto's.

Also Grand Cafe at the Hotel Monaco.

Perry's Union Square next to the Galleria Park Hotel.
Max's Opera Cafe. Big breakfasts.

Fave "dive" b'fast, Lefty O'Doul's.

I gotta put Dottie's on my list!

Ready4AVoyage Oct 2nd, 2004 07:31 PM

I recommend Mama's in North Beach which is reasonably priced. My aunt said her omelette was very good and my cinnamon french toast dipped in apple yogurt was wonderful and semi-healthy too. The place is small so get there early and expect to wait.

When I visited this past summer I took Mikemo's suggestion and got the Lemon Souffle Pancakes. They were yummy! I don't remember how much I paid but the serving was enough to feed two.

aroundtown Dec 16th, 2004 11:40 PM

Rose's Cafe on Union Street! Scrummy breakfast pizzas (I'm getting hungry). Save enough room for even more scrummy chocolates at Goldleaf Chocolates just down the street.

CaliNurse Dec 17th, 2004 06:53 AM

OK, this is a bit off topic (not SF) but If you head out to Marin one morning, try half-Day Cafe in Kentfield, across from the College of Marin.
Love their omelettes.

acwsf Dec 17th, 2004 08:28 AM

I can't believe no one has mentioned Ella's on the Corner of California and Presidio Streets. The chicken hash is my favorite!
www.ellassanfrancisco.com

acwsf Dec 17th, 2004 08:29 AM

Oops! It was mentioned already. Well, I second that recommendation.

johnthedorf Dec 17th, 2004 03:00 PM

I'd second the Buena Vista. Best Irish Coffee. Reasonable. Great crowd of locals. I like a Ramos with breakfast and they make one as good as Brennan's in New Orleans.

LoveItaly Dec 17th, 2004 03:04 PM

Well I will be having breakfast at Kuleto's next Wednesday morning, oh yum can hardly wait. Will be thinking of you Kal! :-p