Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Breakfast at LAX (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/breakfast-at-lax-469692/)

here_today_gone2Maui Aug 24th, 2004 03:08 PM

Breakfast at LAX

As an eastsider I never had much need for breakfast near LAX, but I will be arriving on a redeye on Thursday morning and am looking for a goood restaurant suggestion, maybe someplace at the marina. She has to head down to LAX to pick up someone else later the same day, so she thought we may as well go to breakfast to kill some time. The only place I can think of is Jerry?s Deli, but I think we rather have more of bistro, maybe where we can eat outside, with easy parking. We are not really interested in heading into Santa Monica and points north. After flying all night I don?t think I?ll be any shape for that much traffic and commotion. We are vegetarian and like lots of fruit and veggie options. Any westsiders have any thoughts?

TIA, and aloha!

here_today_gone2Maui Aug 24th, 2004 03:21 PM

OK, that post makes no sense. I think I deleted part of the middle!

What I was trying to say is: I arrive Thurs am. My daughter has to be at LAX to pick up someone arriving that same afternoon, so she though she may was well come down early that morning and meet me for breakfast. Any suggestions, maybe in MDR?

Does that make more sense now?

Surfergirl Aug 24th, 2004 03:43 PM

Well, as you said, there is Jerry's deli, in MDR. There's also the Cheesecake Factory in MDR, right on the beach with outdoor tables and free parking.

Other than that, all I can think of is heading a few blocks north into Venice and go, perhaps to the Rose Cafe on Rose Ave. or the Brickhouse on Hampton Dr.

here_today_gone2Maui Aug 24th, 2004 03:58 PM

Thanks, Surfergirl. While I love that Cheesecake Factory, I don't think will be open that early. I'd like to try to stay out of Venice/Santa Monica during morning drive times. Maybe someone has some suggestions in Playa del Rey, or towards Manhattan Beach or Redondo?

joesorce Aug 24th, 2004 04:07 PM

I enjoy the little Beachside Cafe inside the Jamaica Bay Inn. In the back they have some outdoor seating by the water.

bluefan Aug 24th, 2004 04:10 PM

In Manhattan Beach, you'll find a lot of breakfast joints at or near the corner of Manhattan Beach Blvd and Highland--The Kettle, Uncle Bill's Pancake House and I think Good Stuff has breakfast items.

here_today_gone2Maui Aug 24th, 2004 08:58 PM

Bluefan, are these just "breakfast joints," and would you recommend one over the rest? I am looking for someplace nice to have a lingering mother-daughter breakfast. We don't eat meat, not big on pancakes, etc. We're looking for someplace where we can get egg white omelettes with lots of veggies, fresh fruit, maybe fresh baked whole grain breads and muffins, smoked fish. I know there must be some little bistro that serves breakfast out there.

Gardyloo Aug 25th, 2004 05:52 AM

Try Martha's 22nd St Grill, on 22nd St half a block from the Strand in Hermosa Beach. Excellent food (meat on the menu but lots of non-meat things too), very casual place, then walk it off on the beach about 100 feet away. Lots of outdoor seating, the real deal. Meter parking on 22nd and on Hermosa Ave. feet from the cafe.

bluefan Aug 25th, 2004 10:13 AM

The Kettle is open 24hrs but is more of a family restaurant type than a bistro.

For an upscale option, there's Jer-ne at the MDR Ritz Carlton, which has an open deck overlooking the marina. Here's their website:
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/hotels/ma.../jerne_marina/

here_today_gone2Maui Aug 25th, 2004 10:57 AM

Wow! Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just have to pick one. Decisions, decisions...

lvk Aug 25th, 2004 11:05 AM

For the veggie breakfast you describe, I recommend any of the "Good Stuff" locations - on Highland in MB (closest to LAX), on the Strand in Hermosa Beach (the original and best, imho) or on PCH/elena in Redondo Beach.

The Cassidy's Garden omelette is all veggie and you can request it with egg whites or egg substitute. It comes with either breakfast potatoes or fruit, which is alway fresh and excellent. (Can you tell that I order it alot?) You can see their menus at www.eatgoodstuff.com. They even have a webcam.

The Local Yolk on Highland in MB is also good, as is Martha's in Hermosa Beach.

here_today_gone2Maui Aug 25th, 2004 11:35 AM

Ooooh, I think this one is the winner! The Island Breakfast with the white fish and eggs and rice sounds perfect for me! Call me silly, but I really love fish for breakfast.

Thanks to everyone! Now I have something to look forward to while crammed into my economy seat on the red eye.