Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   breakfast around penn station (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/breakfast-around-penn-station-913587/)

Rxist1235 Nov 30th, 2011 06:23 AM

breakfast around penn station

looking for good diner type spots around penn station

ekscrunchy Nov 30th, 2011 06:26 AM

I imagine that your idea of the Breslin would be more appealing than anything in the immediate area of Penn Station. Just a few blocks away.

starrs Nov 30th, 2011 06:28 AM

Rxist, are you pretty comfortable with the subway? If so, you can be at a good breakfast/lunch/dinner spot within minutes of whereever you happen to be. My personal preference is to eat dinner near the theatre when I've spent a lot of $$$ on Broadway show tickets, but other than that the city is your oyster re dining.

starrs Nov 30th, 2011 06:32 AM

Here's a top 10 list for breakfast places in the city -

http://www.nyc10best.com/restaurants...ants-in-nyc/2/

I've stayed near Penn Station but took advantage of the hotel's free breakfast.

starrs Nov 30th, 2011 06:38 AM

http://www.ticktockdinerny.com/Tick_...iner_N.Y..html

Here's one option. No, I've never eaten there. The reviews online are decent.

mclaurie Nov 30th, 2011 06:45 AM

If you just want a diner and very close to Penn station, the Skylight Diner at 34th & 9th or the Tick Tock Diner at 34th & 8th fit the bill. 38th st. Coffee Shop on 38th b/w 5th & 6th is better but not as close. Niles, inside the Affinia Manhattan which is directly across from the station on 7th ave. is another option. http://www.nilesnyc.com/images/NEW-Breakfast-july.pdf

doug_stallings Nov 30th, 2011 06:58 AM

There's an Andrews Coffee Shop on the corner of 7th Avenue/35th St., just across from Macy's.

But also consider some non-diner options: Pret a Manger (which has really good oatmeal and pastries and some hot breakfast sandwiches); coffee is excellent but expensive. Also all Dunkin Donuts have decent breakfast sandwiches and good coffee, and many have seats. Starbucks also has good oatmeal and not bad breakfast sandwiches, and they are ubiquitous. If you are going a bit later, Macy's actually has a good Cucina & Co. cafe in the basement with plenty of seating.

I probably would just not bother with a sit-down place in that area, which is totally mobbed with foot traffic every morning---at least not every day. Not only does this double your cost for breakfast ($9 or $10 as opposed to $5 or $6 if you grab and go), but it's time-consuming. I'd get out and eat a bit further away if it were me, or grab something quick to take back to the room. There are myriad fast-food options in Penn Station, though it's also mobbed every morning.

DebitNM Nov 30th, 2011 07:02 AM

Eat like a native NYer. Go to a deli, get an egg on a roll with bacon, cheese and/or sausage on a hard roll and a cup of coffee. Either eat it standing or to go. Under $5 most likely and mm, mmm,good eats.

china_cat Nov 30th, 2011 09:48 AM

We stayed at the New Yorker hotel a few weeks ago, which is one block from Penn Station. We had breakfast at the Tick Tock diner at 34th, which is attached to the hotel. It was actually quite good, particularly the banana pancakes.

bachslunch Dec 1st, 2011 05:49 AM

I'm not a fan of Dunkin' Donuts -- I find their coffee dully generic, their breakfast sandwiches as bad or worse than those at McDonald's (anything with "mystery meat" in it is the worst), and their donuts assembly-line awful. The only things they do reasonably well in my experience are cookies and muffins.

If one wants to go that route for breakfast, I've consistently had better luck at Starbuck's for most of this stuff, and there's also a Krispy Kreme in Penn Station (their donuts run rings around Dunkin's).

It's been a few years now since I went to the Tick Tock Diner, but I've enjoyed what I've had there in the past.

starrs Dec 1st, 2011 06:01 AM

bachslunch, what is the "mystery meat" in DD's breakfast sandwiches?

Lots of people like their coffee and edeevee and her team found their breakfast sandwiches a good option on their recent trip.

I will agree that KK's donuts are much better than DD's, but in NYC I prefer the Doughnut Plant.

Aduchamp1 Dec 1st, 2011 06:05 AM

There is Donut PLant now in the Chelsea Hotel.

bachslunch Dec 1st, 2011 07:52 AM

starrs said: "bachslunch, what is the "mystery meat" in DD's breakfast sandwiches?"

An referring to the sausage patty ones. I don't at all like their patty sausage, either the flavor or texture -- really gross stuff. The ham in the ham-based ones I've found to be tough and chewy, akin to the lousy quality Canadian bacon in McMuffins. The bacon-based ones are the best option, if one must. Am also not a fan of the egg patties they use -- tried a smokehouse sausage sandwich recently, and the egg patty was rubbery, had a texture I didn't like, and looked almost fake (the sausage, a split link instead of a ground patty, was actually the best part of the sandwich here). The egg white flatbread I tried once was terrible, dry and flavorless.

+++++++++++++++++

starrs said: "Lots of people like their coffee and edeevee and her team found their breakfast sandwiches a good option on their recent trip."

Lots of people like watching "Jersey Shore," listening to music by Lady Gaga, and reading "People Magazine," too. To each their own. I like doing my own research and coming to my own conclusions. And I don't mind sharing my opinions, either -- something we all here seem to have in common. Sorry, but I find DD's coffee generic and insipid, and I think one can do a lot better.

++++++++++++++++++++++

starrs said: "I will agree that KK's donuts are much better than DD's, but in NYC I prefer the Doughnut Plant."

Haven't tried anything at Doughnut Plant, so I can't weigh in on them. Online reports suggest they're good, though. The reason I suggested KK's doughnuts is that you don't have to leave Penn Station at all to get them. Google Maps suggests the closest DP is about 10 blocks away from Penn Station, on West 23rd.

starrs Dec 1st, 2011 09:05 AM

Well alrighty then! ;)

starrs Dec 1st, 2011 09:10 AM

Here's the recent trip report with comments about grabbing a quick breakfast from Dunkin Donuts -
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-on-fodors.cfm

I have no idea if edeevee (or Doug_Stallings for that matter) are Lady Gaga fans or read People magazine. Never knew that was connected to DD coffee. Ya learn somethin' new every day on this board :-)

DebitNM Dec 1st, 2011 09:49 AM

"one man's trash is another man's treasure." or perhaps more aptly:
"that is why there is chocolate and vanilla"
and perhaps, MOST importantly:

"You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em;
<u>Know when to walk away</u>"

Good words of advice.

ekscrunchy Dec 1st, 2011 10:03 AM

One would hope that the OP will receive more discerning advice here than he would by stopping random passersby outside Penn Station.

From The Breslin to Dunkin Donuts?

PEOPLE magazine, indeed!

starrs Dec 1st, 2011 10:13 AM

<i>" ekscrunchy on Dec 1, 11 at 2:03pm One would hope that the OP will receive more discerning advice here than he would by stopping random passersby outside Penn Station.

From The Breslin to Dunkin Donuts?

PEOPLE magazine, indeed!"</i>

Wow! That's a pretty harsh statement about the suggestion from Fodor's editor, Doug_Stallings. He's the one who suggested DD.

Wow.

sf7307 Dec 1st, 2011 10:31 AM

<<<more discerning advice>>>

Except that people here ignore the OP's original request for "diner-type spots". I just looked at the menu for the Breslin. If I asked for a "diner-type spot" and that's what somebody recommended to me, I'd assume they weren't listening.

starrs Dec 1st, 2011 10:50 AM

sf, he mentioned the Breslin on another thread.

He's also staying in the Flatiron district (we know from other threads). That's why the new Doughnut Plant was mentioned (between his hotel and Penn station). The OP has several planning threads going on.