Breakfast & Dinner near the W - City Centre Chicago/Willis Towers

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be staying at the W - City Centre in Chicago this June. I'd like to venture out for breakfast the two mornings that we are there. I also need a dinner recommendation for one evening. The restriction? I'll have my 5 year old with me. So I need something somewhat kid friendly and not a terribly long walk. TIA!
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Doh

If you just want and a muffin or something (plus coffee) for breakfast, Lavazza and Intelligentsia are probably good options.

Generally I hate to criticize travel decisions that people have already made, but I just wanted to say that I found the W City Centre to have the tiniest hotel room I have ever stayed in in the US (although others I traveled with said they didn't their rooms weren't as small), and the lobby was also the loudest (it is more bar/lounge than lobby and they seem to have a DJ at times).
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:11 AM

There's Giordano's on Jackson between Franklin and Wells, one block south of your hotel, for dinner. Otherwise, there's McDonald's next door and several Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks within a block or so.

If you'll be there during the week, most places will be open early. However, if you're coming over a weekend, it's not a great place to stay. It's safe and all, it's just that you're surrounded by banks and offices so the area is pretty quiet outside business hours.

If you can cancel and rebook elsewhere for a similar rate, I'd consider that. There are several suite hotels in the River North area that would give you a bit of extra space and a refrigerator or even a full kitchen to store snacks or eat and most also include a free breakfast. Check for Homewood Suites on E Grand Ave, Hampton Inn and Suites on W Illinois or Spring Hill Suites and Residence Inn on N Dearborn.

There are literally hundreds of restaurants in River North including Rainforest Cafe, Gino's East, Buca de Beppo and Maggiano's among others.
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:28 AM

One of my favorite breakfast places in Chicago is the Corner Bakery. They're all over the city and have consistently great food for breakfast and lunch.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:00 PM

There are countless chain restaurants in that area. If you are willing to venture a few miles South, try Eleven City Diner or the Bongo Room. It's well worth the short trip.

You are also close to Fox and Obel - a gourmet grocery which has a wonderful cafe for breakfast, lunch, pastry items, etc.

There are also some great places in the West Loop and many other neighborhoods only a few miles away. I'd make the trip and get a taste of some local Chicago food.