Boutique Hotels near SMU in Dallas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking my daughter to visit SMU in June. Any ideas on a cute boutique hotel in a few mintes drive? Safe area.($100 budget)
Also, any fun different restaurants nearby?
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:52 PM

Hello as an SMU alumn welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay in Dallas and I hope you like SMU!
Ok...boutique hotels..check out
The Stoneleigh Hotel it is about 3.5 miles away from S.M.U. and in a great location for shopping and restaurants. Convenient to SMU. For giggles I checked on Expedia.com..not generally the lowest..I pulled up June 9-16th and the rate was $64.90 a night an absolute bargain for that hotel. I do not know your specific dates so you might want to check on Expedia. Another option would be the Melrose Hotel. Their rates for same dates were around $130.00. The Melrose is also convenient to SMU about 3-4 miles from SMU. The Melrose is very convenient to shopping and restaurants. The two aforementioned hotels are older and well established.
Now there are The Bradford Suites which are right across from Northpark Shopping Center and next to a strip center which has The Container Store, Barnes and Noble, The Cheesecake Factory just to name a few places. This hotel is just under 2 miles from SMU. This is a newer property within the last 2 years or so. The Bradford Suites are set up like an efficiency apartment. So you might want to consider it if you want to save some $$. There is a Tom Thumb grocery store within a 2 minute drive..you could probobly even walk if you wanted to..although June would be rather hot.
Now as far as restaurants what type of food would you like? Dallas is full of great places to eat so you might want to narrow it down a bit. A website that might help is guidelive.com. It covers Dallas and Fort Worth. If you see a restaurant that you have questions about post here.
Anyway I hope this helps. Have fun and welcome!
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Katherine,
Thanks for the terrific reply. I will look into those hotels. My daughter is very excited to go for a visit, as am I!!!
Do you know of any Pan-Asian or funky BBQ places. I know my daughter will like that.
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:22 AM

I would also suggest Greenville Ave. It is the hotspot on the weekends, but it is not just a bar scene. Greenville (and surrounding streets) has some great restaurants. I am not sure where you are coming from, but there are some great Tex-Mex, and other different places such as Cafe de Brazil (which has a great breakfast).
My favorite BBQ place in Dallas is Dickies, but it not really unique.
One thing to keep in mind about the SMU area is it is more upscale then other parts of Dallas. So shops and restaurants maybe more expensive.
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:41 AM

The Hilton Dallas Park Cities is about 3 miles west of SMU in Preston Center corners of Preston Road,Northwest Highway,Dallas North Tollway.I have gotten $89 triple A weekend rate and a Friday/Sat nite rate of $109 for 2 which includes breakfast buffet.Very nice,safe area,affluent NorthDallas.
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:56 AM

I'll agree with Hyatt that Greenville Avenue is the place to take your daughter! There are LOTS of fun restaurants there, and it is THE place for the college/yuppie crowd in Dallas on weekends. Some of my favorites: Two Rows (between Lovers and Caruth Haven), Lone Star Oyster Bar (at Martel), Nuevo Leon (between Belmont and Ross), and San Francisco Rose (just south of Mockingbird). Parking is a problem, so be advised to use the valet parking so your car won't be towed/ticketed!

The big Pan-Asian place in Dallas is P.F. Chang's and there is one in Northpark Mall near SMU.

Best BBQ in Dallas is definitely Sonny Bryan's, and they have many locations throughout the city. Red Hot & Blue is also pretty good. I know there is one at 75 and Walnut Hill.

HAVE FUN on your visit, and I hope your daughter likes SMU!
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:14 PM
JBX

THE boutique hotel to stay in is the new Hotel Zaza, which is just north of downtown Dallas just off McKinney Ave. (guestimate about 5-6 miles south of SMU). However as this place was listed in Conde Naste mag (or was it Travel & Leisure) I suspect it may be out of your targeted price range.

If you can get a good rate, I'd go with the Hilton Dallas/Park Cities. Only a few years old and conveniently located south of Northwest Hwy by the Dallas Tollway. It's in the Preston Center area and a short drive down Hillcrest Avenue to get to the school. There are several good restaurants in Preston Center area --- personally I like a pleasant & casual Italian place called "Macaroni Grille" (actually, I don't think they even serve macaroni) --- it's a chain, one of Brinker's restaurants but good and only a couple blocks away from the Hilton.

SMU / Snider Plaza area
Okay, so if your daughter may be attending school, then she'll become very familiar with some of the places in Snider Plaza --- it's across street from SMU. Peggy Sue's barbeque --- Kuby's restaurant (german) --- there's a decent seafood place which name escapes me at moment.

Lastly the lower Greenville area (stretch of Greenville runs south of Mockingbird) is where alot of students and young folks congregate. For more info on restaurants & events in Dallas area, look on the online website by the Dallas Morning News >>> www.guidelive.com
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I feel I have gotten a good start to planning the trip. I appreciate all the replies.
I look forward to seeing Dallas.