Bourne, Mass to VT, NH, MAINE day trips

Sep 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Bourne, Mass to VT, NH, MAINE day trips

This is a strange request, I am certain. We are staying in Bourne, Mass. (in Cape Cod) and want to dip into Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Would love to see foliage and a general feel of the state. I know this is a mass idea for day trips but what would you advise? We appreciate any help or info you can give. Thanks in advance!
Sep 13th, 2009, 01:48 PM

When will you be traveling? Vermont especially will be a long day trip.
Sep 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply. I will be flying out on September 25 through Oct. 7.
Sep 14th, 2009, 01:34 AM

Enjoy the Cape and nearby on weekends. Foliage should be great in NH's White Mountains toward the end of your trip but you should have some nice color in southern NH (rt 101, Peterborough west to Keene). Portsmouth NH can be a great experience any time. Take a harbor or inland rivers cruise. It depends on how many hours you want to drive. Color is beginning here in the Concord NH area but mostly in the swampy areas. I always get fooled and expect early color. But there is a big difference in color/no color between Concord and Boston. Had dinner with friends who just went zip lining at the Mt Washington resort and can hardly wait to go again. Pick a destination, whether it be a great restaurant or apple orchard so all the driving doesn't seem aimless. I think it would be worth it to do an overnight somewhere further north even if it's a cheap motel (find a great place for breakfast). Traffic on weekends is going to be extremely heavy. Due to such a rainy summer it seems more than usual are traveling on weekends if weather looks good. Labor Day weekend DS hit tons of traffic sunday afternoon heading south from White Mountains so got off at exit 23 (Meredith NH) to take back roads. Have a good map with your but as long as you stick to weekdays, you should be fine except for commuting hours.
Sep 14th, 2009, 03:32 AM

Not sure what your request means. You want to take day trips from Bourne to NH, VT and Maine? Bourne is about 4 hours from Portland, ME so that would be quite a long trip up and back in one day.
Sep 14th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Yes, day trips is a "want" that I have but might not be feasible. Do you think it is really too far to try to do NH or MAINE? Someone has already said the VT would be an extremely long day trip. I do appreciate your input so much.
Sep 14th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Portsmouth NH is a very cute little city on the harbor, it would be a nice day trip, although it will probably be just the beginning of the foliage. You're probably looking at about a 2.5 hour drive. And you definitely don't want to be doing that drive anytime near rush hour on the weekdays.

Maine is just over the bridge from Portsmouth so it might be worthwhile to overnight there and then spend a day in either Kennebunkport or Portland. Kennebunkport is about a half hour or so from Portsmouth, Portland is about an hour.

I definitely think VT is too far for a day trip.
Sep 14th, 2009, 05:53 AM

It all depends on your willingness to drive, I think you are looking at a minimum of 2 1/4 - 3 hours each way depending on where in Maine or New Hampshire you want to go.

The best colors that early in the season will be farther North (like the White Mountains and Lakes Region) but between the crowds/traffic and distance I would think you are looking at a minimum of three hours in each direction.

If it was me, I would travel to NH or ME midweek and find a place to stay overnight...even if it is just one night.
Sep 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for sharing. If it isn't possible to be away a night, is there anything that we should not miss? I certainly appreciate your info. Mycuppajava
Sep 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM

One suggestion for a day trip would drive to the Monadnock Region of Southwest NH. It would take you approximately 2 1/2 hours to get to the area but you would be able to completely avoid the Boston area while driving up and it would get scenic about 1 1/2 hours into the drive after you get off the highway North of Worcester.

The Monadnock region is really anchored by Peterborough to the East and Keene to the West. Once there:

Peterborough area:
--Walking charming downtown Peterborough and browsing the shops and restaurants is great!

--5 minutes East: Miller State Park (Pack Monadnock) has an autoroad to the top from which there is a short rim trail to hike, a fire watch tower you can climb to get great views of the surrounding area, or join the Audobon Society as the monitor the hawk migration (one of the best spots in NH to view the migration from).

--15 minutes Northeast: If it's the weekend you can take in Yankee Seige in Greenfield where a catapult launches 8-10 pound pumpkins up to 2000' feet out into a field towards a castle (this is fin for kids)

--15 minutes South: Cathedral in the Pines is a very scenic peace memorial with nice walking trails. Wonderful views of Mt Monadnock (the most popular hiking mountain in the Western Hemisphere)

--10 minutes North: Hancock is a charming small town and...

--15 minutes Northwest: Harrisville is a picturesque quiet town where it seems every building is on the National Historic Register (so if you want to see what a New England town might have been like 100 years ago...this is it)!

Keene area:
--Main Street Keene is another nice town to get out and stretch your legs. It's a college town and Main Street is lined with neat and unique shopping and restaurants.

--5 minutes South: This is where a covered bridges tour begins (there are five or six in total and you can drive a loop around to see them).

--20 minutes North: The charming village of Walpole which is famous for Burdick's chocolate and ice cream. There is also an excellent orchard up there called Alyson's.

One other stop I really enjoy is a 30 minute drive North of Peterborough to Hillsborough. There is a stone arch bridge drive which is quite scenic!
Sep 15th, 2009, 03:35 AM

RLFox made some great suggestions. Hillsborough is about 1/2 hour from Concord NH so you could plan dinner in either Concord or Manchester and then take I93 to Everett Turnpike to Rt 3 to Rt 495 back to the Cape. Friend from VT said she was surprised at the amount of early color on Rt 2. She traveled to Marlborough MA which is right off Rt 495.

If you did the southern NH trip one day and another to Portsmouth/southern ME, you would have covered some great territory. The only thing you would miss would be lots of tall mountains. The smaller ones in southern NH are still nice. If you live in an area that is flat, you will be amazed at all the hills and scenic vistas.