Boundary Waters Cabin Recommendation?

Jul 26th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Boundary Waters Cabin Recommendation?

Hi -
My friends and I are planning our summer 2005 trip to the boundary waters in MN. We are interested in renting waterfront cabins. We are open to any of the areas up there, provided we can get in plenty of canoeing and hiking! Can anyone make any suggestions on where to stay based on your experience there?
Thanks for your help.
Jul 26th, 2004, 07:35 PM

We have stayed at Gunflint Lodge which is north of Grand Marais, MN and loved it. There are lots of other lodges and cabins up the Gunflint Trail and I am sure they have websites. I highly recommend Gunflint Lodge - we have gone back several times.
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:08 AM

If you decide to rent a canoe or other equipment, I can't express how pleased we were with every aspect of the rental we did with Voyageurs Canoes back in 1999. This was our first canoe trip and, even though we had done enough research to not need a ton of guidance, they would have been more than willing to help. They provided us with everything that we needed, exactly what we asked for, and did not try to force one penny more from us. The topper was that we arrived back a day early; they willingly picked us up and then refunded us the money for that day. I wouldn't have blamed them if they had charged us for that day, as we HAD reserved the canoes and equipment.

Voyageurs Canoes gets our 100% endorsement.
Jul 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM

My son and I have made backcountry trips into the Quetico and Boundry Waters for several years but have never stayed at any cabins up there. However, there is a web site at canoecountry.com that has a lot of locals and visitors that know the area very well. While it is mostly for folks that travel the back country, I'm sure they would gladly help you. Good luck!

Search this Thread