Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston-Winchester, VA - thru Scranton/Harrisburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving mid-March to Winchester from north of Boston. All mapping programs take me diagonally thru NJ (287, etc). I went that route some years ago and remember NJ as having infuriating traffic lights and general congestion.

Considering Rte 84 thru CT, then heading a bit north, crossing Hudson at Newburgh and eventually south thru Scranton and Harrisburg. I am OK with boring and big scary trucks. Any thoughts on either of these - or even a 3rd route option.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 01:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done the 287 route and over the Tappan-Zee but only remember a little traffic at the bridge.

(btw, did you see the post on the gtg thread about the Amtrak sale?)
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 02:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Just checked my map program. Fastest route was via Allentown PA and the second fastest route was on the NJ Turnpike and through Baltimore. the difference was 2 miles and less than 5 minutes.
Through White Haven PA using some non Interstate roads it was over 50 miles farther and about an hour longer.
510 miles from Revere MA to Winchester VA in about 8.2 hours.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Mapping programs have given me several options - it is just that in the many years that I have driven from MA to Savannah, Greensboro, NC, and Washington DC area, if something is going to happen to screw up my trip, it is going to be in NJ. So while mapping programs have several NJ options, my route avoids it completely. But since trip is mid-March and my proposed route is higher elevation, will watch weather. Still undecided. Usually fly - but will be stopping in Winchester and then on to northern VA.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 02:58 AM

Gail, we tried all these routes when we were driving our kids from Boston to NC for college -- just as you did.

Twice we had fog on the Scranton-Newburgh route to I-84. Serious fog, the kind where you worry about someone running over you from the rear.

So we adopted some version of I-84 to Brewster, then 684 to the Tappan Zee. We then took either the GSP to I-78 or 287 to 78 and connected with I-81 near Harrisburg.

We made the trip so often (our kids were in Chapel Hill for a combined eight years and my mother was in poor health in western South Carolina) that we explored many, many routes -- scenic and otherwise -- below I-64, but I'm not sure of your final destination or how long you plan to spend on the road,
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 03:29 AM

Duh. I got up early this morning and missed that you are only going as far as Winchester.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 06:27 AM

If you're going to be using a rental car anyway, you can take the train from Boston South to Washington. You can rent a car in Washington Union Station.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Not renting a car. Leaving mid-week, mid-day and driving half way to Winchester (somewhere just past Newburgh if I take my proposed route).

Spending 2 days in Winchester, then the weekend in VA near DC. Leaving Monday AM really early - like 6 AM - and driving back home via Baltimore, NJ Turnpike, GS Parkway, Tappan Zee Bridge. Idea on return is to leave just before worst of DC rush hour, hit NJ/NYC area after rush hour and metro Boston before evening rush hour.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 07:56 AM

Why not start earlier and spend a night in PA off I-81 between Scranton and Harrisburg?
I-81 is a breeze once you're on it unless you get in a traffic jam in Harrisburg.