Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   BOSTON : WHERE TO STAY IN A DELUXE HOTEL ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-where-to-stay-in-a-deluxe-hotel-20740/)

Monica Jan 21st, 1998 11:10 PM

BOSTON : WHERE TO STAY IN A DELUXE HOTEL ?

Next Summer I will spend a some days in Boston.
Which do you prefere between Four Season and Ritz ?
Do you have other suggestions ?

Donna Jan 21st, 1998 11:22 PM

Good heavens - either would be a spectacular choice. Although the restaurant (favored by Julia herself) at the Four Seasons receives much better reviews. Be sure to request a room overlooking the Public Gardens if you choose either of these. Another excellent possibility would be a room at the Boston Harbor Hotel with a Harbor view. Then, there's the Meridien if you prefer a European style hotel with a fabulous French restaurant, or the Bostonian, or the Marriott Long Wharf. Just to mention a few. In nearby Cambridge, the Charles Hotel is also spectacular. Or, the Sonesta overlooking the Charles River. Or the Hyatt with it's spectacular panoramic view of the skyline of the city across the river.

Neal Sanders Jan 22nd, 1998 06:01 AM

Donna certainly hit all of the high spots in her posting above. I've stayed at most of the ones she mentioned: I would rule out the Marriott Long Wharf as its rooms are too close to its party/convention facilities. The rooms at the Meridien are small for a luxury hotel, though the hotel's Cafe Fleuri has far and away Boston's best Sunday brunch, and the restaurant she mentions (the Julien) has superb food served inside a vault (the hotel was created from the old Federal Reserve bank). The Bostonian is another "Eoropean" style hotel and is across from the Quincy Market. Unfortunately, it is also next to the "big dig," and on my last trip to Boston, the proximity made getting into and out of the hotel very difficult. That leaves the Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton, which sit cater-corner from one another at the southwest corner of the public garden. They're both superb hotels; the Four Seasons has larger rooms. Either one would be a great selection, and the views are superb. Have a good visit.

Donna Jan 22nd, 1998 11:41 PM

Neal: You have supplemented my comments perfectly! Touche!

Maureen Mar 2nd, 1998 09:22 AM

The other posts really give you plenty of good info. I like the Boston Harbor particularly because, if you're coming in by air, there is a ferry from the airport directly to the Hotel. No traffic problems.

Stacy Mar 2nd, 1998 11:12 AM

I just stayed at the Marriot Long Wharf in January and it was WONDERFUL!! One of the nicest hotels I have ever been in. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Kat Mar 2nd, 1998 04:16 PM

In Boston, both the Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton are tops. It's difficult to choose. When I have to (about twice a year)choose, I try to alternate my stays. The Four Seasons restaurant Adjour'hui (sp?) is among the best in the world. Forced into a choice based on accommodation only, I would opt for a club-level room in the Ritz. The rates are about equal to the Four Seasons rooms and the Ritz club-levels are all at the top of the hotel (superb views) and include access to the restricted club-level lounge with free meals, food and drinks all day long (from splendid and varied continental breakfast choices through lunch, afternoon tea and even caviar and champange in the evening!). You'll enjoy either one, though. Both offer the best service I've encountered anywhere in the U.S. Honestly, I don't think any of the other hotels mentioned can hold a candle to the Four Seasons or the Ritz-Carlton. One last thing, if you travel with a pet, then it's definitely the Four Seasons -- this hotel welcomes small and medium-size furry critters! They even offer room service for cats and dogs!