Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston Weekend Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-weekend-trip-report-797323/)

aggiegirl Jul 24th, 2009 08:24 AM

Boston Weekend Trip Report

Thought I’d write a little trip report from my three day weekend in Boston. I went with a friend from work.

We went this past Saturday, arriving in the mid afternoon. Our lodging was Adams B&B on Edgerly Rd, just two blocks away from the Hynes subway stop. This place is clean with friendly staff, but I do think it was overpriced ($139 for a room with two twin beds). We lucked out with the weather, having rain-free days until the day we flew home.

After checking in, we walked down Boylston to head towards the historical section. We stopped in the big public library to check out the neat interior staircase and artwork. We ambled through the beautiful public garden where we saw at least five bridal parties having photo shoots. It’s a lovely and relaxing place. Boston Common is next door and isn’t much compared to the garden. We were able to have a few minutes in the central burying ground before the park ranger shooed everyone out for the 5 pm closing.

We got off track, ending up in Chinatown when we were trying to get to the Quincy Market area. Finally got there and wandered around. It was packed with people around there.

Headed back to Boylston St. in the direction of our hotel, stopping at the Lindt store for some chocolates before having dinner at the Lir Irish pub. It was pretty good and we enjoyed sitting up front by the open window. Great people watching! Hit the Trader Joe’s for some bottled water and snacks and then made our way back to the hotel as we were tired from a long day.

Sunday: Time to hit the freedom trail! We followed the trail seeing the sites until we go to the Quincy Market area and then we deviated to the harbor to buy tickets for the historic harbor cruise. We had planned on the 11 am, but it was so crazy we ended up getting tickets for the 3 pm. I think the company does a terrible job of keeping the line organized and fair. When we came back later, we got there early to have a good place in line, but they don’t have the line roped off so lots of rude people came late and barged in front of the long line. But, I digress...

We picked up the freedom trail again and headed into the North End. Loved this area!! Lots of restaurants and shops. Picked up some cupcakes from Mike’s Pastry. So delicious and fresh!! Wanted to try Pizzeria Regina for lunch, but it was packed and with a long wait. Ended up lunching at a place called Florentina and had pretty good pizza there.

We enjoyed the walk and the historical sites and in particular the Copp’s Hill graveyard with its nice location. After some more meandering, we headed back to the harbor. The cruise was pretty full and you have to hustle if you want a seat on the top. Felt like musical chairs with everybody racing to get a chair. It was quite warm and I ended up with a bad sunburn, but oh well. The cruise is 90 minutes long and rather relaxing.

We then went across the river to the USS Constitution and followed that with dinner at Warren Tavern, a historic old place dating to the days of Paul Revere and George Washington. Enjoyed the ambiance, but I later got a touch of food poisoning on this trip that I think was from this place.

Monday: Headed back to the historical area to see the few sites we had missed. Stopped in the public garden again and got my picture taken with the mother duck from the “Make Way for Ducklings” sculpture. Immensely popular with the toddler set! My friend headed back to the harbor for the whale watching cruise she was taking and I headed to the North End to get more cupcakes from Mike’s Pastry. Tried a cupcake from “Modern Pastry” but it wasn’t anywhere near as good or fresh as Mike’s. Mike’s was busy both times I went in.

I meandered around the area and then took the subway to Harvard. Wandered the pretty campus and then decided to have lunch at Mr. Bartley’s Burger Cottage. Wow, that’s a pricey burger! I didn’t realize that fries don’t come with the burgers, so in the end my tab for a regular burger, fries and coke (no refills) was $12, not counting tip. And I was shocked to find that they don’t provide a restroom for customers. Not a good thing when you were counting on being able to go!

Wandered around the Harvard Square area and was astonished by the number of vagrants and beggars. Never expected that!

Took the subway back to my hotel where I was able to print out my boarding place for my flight the following day and then I headed out to go see Fenway park. Walked through the fens park area. The Red Sox were not in town while I was there, so I was content to just see the park. Since it was late in the day, I didn’t have the attention span to take the tour.

Met up with my friend after her cruise and we went back into the North End to see the inside of the Old North Church since it was closed previously. Then headed to Beacon Hill to see the area and go to the original Cheers bar. Bought a couple of t-shirts. Beacon Street, along with Newbury and Commonwealth Street have fantastic architecture. I especially loved the Burrage Mansion.

Totally loved Boston and all it has to offer. Beautiful parks, lovely harbor, pretty skyline, good transportation, and more. I will definitely return!

Tuesday: Home

isabel Jul 24th, 2009 09:12 AM

Nice report. I live in Mass and know Boston quite well and you got a really good taste of the highlights. Glad you had a good time.

cw Jul 24th, 2009 09:35 AM

Happy you had a good time and that the weather cooperated! Thanks for taking the time to report back. You did see a lot in the time you were there.

cigalechanta Jul 24th, 2009 10:35 AM

I'm happy you had a great time. We may have passed eachother in the public Garden where I was walking my dog that Saturday.
The common is nicer in winter when the colored lights are up and the skating rink is open.

aggiegirl Jul 24th, 2009 11:37 AM

cigalechanta, what kind of dog do you have? I was totally admiring this beautiful golden retriever. I have a golden, so I'm always excited to see others. I even got to meet a golden puppy over at Bunker Hill (oops, forgot to include Bunker Hill in my report).

bachslunch Jul 24th, 2009 01:55 PM

Thanks for the report.

Will concur on Warren Tavern, which is certainly historic but has weak food. Am surprised to hear about Modern Pastries, though am thinking cupcakes aren't their strong suit (would go for a cannoli or other Italian specialty, myself). Florentina is certainly OK, though there are preferable North End options -- sorry the Pizzeria Regina line was so long, as they're excellent. Antico Forno is a very good second choice for pizza in this area, as is Galleria Umberto (though they close for a month during the summer).