Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston Trip Approaching-- Now for Restaurants... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-trip-approaching-now-for-restaurants-430964/)

rjw_lgb_ca May 12th, 2004 09:12 AM

Boston Trip Approaching-- Now for Restaurants...

OK, the excitement is building for the Boston trip (it's been over two years since I've been), and now we need a couple of destination eateries in the city. I recall a thread recently on North End Italian joints, but frankly I don't feel like looking for it. How's that for honesty regarding my abject laziness?! So:

-- North End Italian. Is there consensus on The Best? Are there differing recommendations depending on type, i.e., Mom-'n'-Pop noodles & red sauce joint vs. Tuscan bistro?

-- Back Bay/Newbury St. area. What's the best? Is there a good breakfast joint in the area? Any off-beat recommendations?

-- I have, based on dim memories of a friend who left New Bedford at 4 years of age, been asked to find the best purveyor of Boston-style steak sandwiches in the city. WTF?! Could this be a mix-up with some place selling Philly-style cheese steak sandwiches...? Anyone have thoughts?

-- Any other hints for getting good grub in Boston will be appreciated.

And Happy Wednesday to everyone out there!! :)

rjw_lgb_ca May 12th, 2004 09:24 AM

Wait, I see recos on another active thread, "Boston Advise Needed". Helpful!! Anyone else want to help?

bounty May 12th, 2004 10:22 AM

Go to chowhounds.com-lots of info there.

s1a2r3 May 12th, 2004 10:44 AM

Huh?

This is a web-site about pets!! And it tried to change my home-page!!!

yk May 12th, 2004 10:50 AM

I think bounty meant to type
www.chowhound.com

no "s"

BuzzyJ May 12th, 2004 11:07 AM

Here are some of our favorites: Aquataine and Hammsersley's Bistro, both in the south end; if you feel like an adventure in Cambridge, go to the East Coast Grill. There are many places in the North End; we like Marruzio's (spelling?), and I read a great review today of a place called
Trattoria à Scalinatella, but I haven't been. The best places are off the beaten track (i.e. Hanover Street) and don't let anyone tell you that Mike's Pastry is the best--it isn't. We loved Julien in the Meridien, but the hotel has been sold, and I haven't heard if the restaurant is as good.

hbehr May 12th, 2004 01:15 PM

off-beat breakfast: go to sorella's in jamaica plain. delish and totally original. it's a 10 min drive (max) from downtown boston- plus then you get to see the rest of the emerald necklace! also - you can BIKE the emerald necklace- highly recommend this!

cigalechanta May 12th, 2004 01:20 PM

I'll echo Buzzy but add Rialto and Oleander in Cambridge.

bounty May 12th, 2004 02:01 PM

tyvm, yk!!!

Dioguardie May 13th, 2004 09:31 AM

One of my favorite places in the North End is called "Al Dente". It is a small, romantic Italian restaurant. The prices, service and food are excellent. I have been there several times and it was always a wonderful experience. It is located at 109 Salem Street.

ringerlu May 13th, 2004 10:02 AM

In the North End, definitely go with a recommendation. I never seem to get lucky when I stroll around and end up in the place with the most atmosphere. Prezza's is the very best and also the most expensive. On the cheaper side, I love Il Panino (the full restaurant, not the pizza/sandwich shop across the street). I hear Monica's Pizza is wonderful and cheap.

I disagree on going to Jamaica Plain. As a local, I love it, but I don't think it's worth it for a tourist, esp. if you're not fond of driving in Boston. The T to JP is kind of a pain.

I love Hamersley's Bistro in the South End. Also Sonsie on Newbury St. I remember someone saying a few weeks ago that Stephanie's on Newbury is great for lunch.

rjw_lgb_ca May 13th, 2004 02:05 PM

Just so everyone knows, I appreciate all the suggestions so far! I'm jotting them down for my trip. Thanks to everybody!! :)

aliyanonie May 13th, 2004 02:14 PM

Our favorites in the north end are Artu's on Prince street to eat and Modern Pastry for canolli to go.

Toro May 14th, 2004 05:08 AM

Definitely Modern Pastry over Mikes for Canoli. I think you will enjoy just about any restaurant you pick in the North End - they're all good. My favorite is Taranta.

rshersnow May 14th, 2004 06:10 PM

As a native to the area I recommend P. F. Changs in the theater district and the Naked Fish. The first is very good unique, Asian type food, the latter is Cuban style fish dishes.

cigalechanta May 14th, 2004 06:19 PM

Newbies, great in town, South end, Perlix, Butcher shop, B&G oyster bar.
In Cambridge a new great chef at East Coast Grill.

BostonJay May 14th, 2004 07:16 PM

I strongly disagree with the previous posting about JP. It's incredibly easy to get to by the T, and takes about the same time or less than it takes to get to Cambridge.

Sorella's in JP does have good breakfasts.. lines are usually outside it gets so packed. Plus, JP has some of the best parks (Arboretum) and green areas in the city.

Also, I strongly recommend Doyle's for some great food, a casual atmosphere and good beer. For that matter, the Dogwood and James Gate are also good options in JP.

For other restaurants to go to, I do recommend the East Coast Grill in Cambridge. I've never been disappointed. Great atomsphere and interesting, delicious food!

peggybauer May 15th, 2004 03:25 AM

P.F.Changs is a very good nationwide chain. I have dined there Scottsdale, LA and elsewhere when I was with my children and didn't have the time to research a unique dining experience. I would recommend looking at the latest Zagat's Boston. Stephanie's on Newbury is good for breakfast if you are not going too early. Terrra Mia in North End is quite good. For casual, traditional, inexpensive, I like Lo Conte's. I don't understand the debate between Modern Pastry and Mike's, neither of them are that good, but why don't you decide for yourself?.

bennie May 15th, 2004 04:47 PM

There is no consensus on the best in the North End but here's my opinion. I second Terra Mia - fresh food, well seasoned (not unnecessarily garlicky) its on Salem St one over from Hanover. - I'd pass on Al Dente. I heard raves and when I tries it Ifound it to be second rate. My meal was small, the veal was tough, the brushetta was stale and the salad was bland. Both Mike's and Modern are very good bakeries - try both.

In Boston we don't have cheese steaks - no cheez wiz!! We have steak and cheese subs. Shaved steak with real cheese (usually provolone)melted into it served on a sub roll. A steak bomb is a steak and cheese with grilled onions, mushrooms, green peppers, pepperoni or salami. Delicious!! If you are looking for a good one you have to wander into a real neighborhood but if you come across a D'Angelo's its pretty good for a chain.

Are you still headed to Wareham?

bennie May 15th, 2004 04:54 PM

"when I tries it Ifound it to be second rate"

I speaka da good english heh?

I really should edit before posting.