Search

Moab vs Bryce/Zion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moab vs Bryce/Zion

Trying to decide on where to go in Utah. Never been to either place and wanted to get some opinions.
Bryce would be hiking trip. Moab would be a multisport. Any opinions of which would be more fun/spectacular? Thanks.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Oh, that is a tough one. Both areas are so beautiful that I don't think you could go wrong with either. What time of year are you thinking of going? Utah is very warm in July and August which limits hiking to mornings or late afternoons for all but the very hardy. Sorry not to be more help! Anyone else?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Moab will be hot in August. Bryce is much higher elevation wise and cooler,but if you drop down off the plateau, things heat up. Zion can top 100 F in the summer.

If I were doing it, I would opt for Bryce.

However, if your motel has a nice pool, you could visit Arches in the morning. Paddle around in the pool mid day, and then visit Arches again in the evening nearer sunset.

And the same is true of Canyonlands NP,which is also close to Moab -- at least the Island In the Sky part.

If you are in very good physical condition, the heat may not matter all that much. But dehydration is a threat if you are highly active.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Planning on May. Will that make a difference as to which would be better?
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:27 PM

May is ideal. Even so, if you are at Zion, the temperatures can get up there.
But Moab would be much better.

I still prefer Bryce and Capitol Reef over the others, except for Arches.

But, you need to see them all. Otherwise, you cannot have a preference. Preferences are personal!!

Would I go back to Arches? In a heart beat.

I would go again to any of them, even though I have seen them before!! All have a different kind of beauty.

And, as I said, if you are in good shape,the heat may not be a factor at all. It was not for me when I was 32.
But I played sports and was conditioned for extremes.

Today, I would have to be careful because of age.

But May is beautiful. Go and enjoy.
You cannot go wrong. And don't worry which ones you see, really. You will win either way. It is a win/win/win situation. I love them all.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, bob. Exactly what I was looking for. Think I'll head for Moab and Arches (I'm young and fit but have some problems with extreme heat).
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:53 AM

It would be a very hard choice for me too, but I think Moab in May is an excellent choice.

Utahtea
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:47 PM

If you are up for a unique, exciting adventure in Arches, try the hiking/rapelling trip to Lomatium Canyon in the Fiery Furnace with Desert Highlights. We did it 2 yrs ago & are going back for another adventure this summer. It was a highlight of my life!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:17 AM

been to both several times, Moab is hot by june but who cares it's moab. you've got fantastic hiking, more of a town for down time than zion and bryce, mountain biking, float trips etc. however zion and bryce have absolutely spectacular things as well. i have to admit for a longer stay moab is the ticket, you have different regions of canyonlands to explore, along with arches. i always think it's worth the drive down to montecello (from moab) and hit that region of canyonlands, check out the rock climbers on the cliffs etc. bryce and zion may edge out spectacular in scenery catagory for me and there is the narrows hike a zion which in may may be too cold or have the water pretty high so maybe that would also steer me to moab. yep. moab.