Boston to Maine & back in 5days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Debbie

We're considering a trip with friends & need some feedback on the following:
We're starting in Boston on Sat. (tix to Mama-Mia) and leaving Sun afternoon for Maine. It appears to only be 5 hours driving from Boston to Bar Harbor. We were considering driving to Bar Harbor early Mon. morning & spending Mon, Tue in Bar Harbor. Our friends have to drive to catch a ferry for Nantucket on Wed.
Question - is this enough time, or should we spend more time on the drive up to Portland, etc?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Andi

Hi Debbie. I think that's quite an aggressive schedule to try to keep. Depending on what you're looking for, you could go up as far as Boothbay Harbor area - 3 hrs vs. 5 hrs. Perhaps also look at Kennebunkport as well (a bit closer). Those are coastal towns within a reasonable distance. Bar Harbor is really a hike for only a day or two. For an "extra special" dinner, try the White Barn restaurant in Kennebunkport (it's been a while since I've been there, but it's very nice and quite romantic).

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Robin

Actually Debbie, Bar Harbour is about an 8 hour trip from Boston.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:06 PM
jeanette

If your not spending at least a week there don't bother there is so much to see and do. There are other towns closer than bar Habor and who ever told you it was 5 hours never drove it themselves.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:54 PM
maggie

It's more like a ten hour trip...it's a long way believe me.