Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston to Foxborough (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-to-foxborough-774474/)

OldTrout Mar 22nd, 2009 12:09 PM

Boston to Foxborough

How long is it from Boston to Foxborough (sp?), and where you recommend staying if we were to attend a Patriots game?

capxxx Mar 22nd, 2009 12:48 PM

Its about 30 miles, depending on where you are starting in Boston. Probably a 45 minute drive or more in traffic.

If you are not touristing in Boston, stay in Foxborough. F. is too far away to be a convenient commute if you have any plans to visit Boston. There are lots of chain hotels (and mostly malls and suburbs) along I-95.

Jaya Mar 22nd, 2009 01:23 PM

The Patriot's play at Gilette Stadium in Foxboro. The website is www.gilettestadium.com.

Courtyard By Marriott
35 Foxborough Boulevard, Foxboro, MA

Comfort Inn Foxboro
4 Fisher Street, Foxboro, MA

Residence Inn By Marriott Boston Foxboro
250 Foxborough Boulevard Foxboro, MA

These hotels are just 3 to 4 miles from Gilette Stadium.

cw Mar 22nd, 2009 06:39 PM

There is a special train from Boston to Foxboro on game days. If you are on an extended trip to Boston and not coming only for the game, you might be better off staying in Boston and commuting to the game.

You can check www.mbta.com for times.

china_cat Mar 22nd, 2009 07:10 PM

It's WAY more than 45 minutes in game day traffic! The traffic on the section of route 1 that you drive down to Gillette stadium is outrageous when the Pats are playing. That stretch from 95 to the stadium can take an hour. Leave PLENTY early if you are driving, and plan to tailgate before and after. or stay some place close by.

The teams and sportscasters who visit the Pats often stay in Providence. I guess its slightly further, and its cheaper though I can't imagine that influences the likes of John Madden. Still, as I understand, they usually stay that way.

china_cat Mar 22nd, 2009 07:12 PM

oh, also, the last time I went to a game the security line to get into the stadium took a pretty long time too. They may have improved this (though friends with season tickets say not so much). So make sure to give yourself maybe 30 minutes to get from your car to your seat, if entering close to kickoff.

cw Mar 22nd, 2009 07:19 PM

Ah--I forgot about the security line. I didn't really know the routine and had my pocketbook. Those in the know did not have bags--their lines were long. They separate those with and without bags. The bag lines were short, so I was able to walk right in.

china cat is right--traffic is heavy, though pretty well managed. Where you park will affect how fast you are able to walk to the stadium.

OldTrout Mar 23rd, 2009 08:48 AM

well, we're flying into Logan on a Saturday, going back on a Monday, seeing the game sunday evening and we'd like to see/take the freedom trail somewhere in between...any thoughts??

Anonymous Mar 23rd, 2009 09:07 AM

Stay in Boston and take the train to Foxboro.

sharona Mar 23rd, 2009 11:19 AM

I second the suggestion by Anonymous. With the short time you have in Boston and your desire to walk the Freedom Trail you should definitely stay in Boston and take the special train that the MBTA offers to Gillette Stadium for Patriot games. I looked at mbta.com and they don't have any information listed yet for the upcoming football season but in the past the trains typically leave Boston about 2 hours before gametime and depart 30 minutes after the game. It was $12 roundtrip last year. You really do not want to rent a car just to get to the game. It takes a LONG time in traffic.