Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston restaurants - Great lobster + stuff for the land lubber? Chinese food?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family will be traveling to Boston for a four night getaway. I absolutely love lobster, but my wife and 12 year old daughter won't eat any seafood.

Any restaurant suggestions that serve great lobster and has a good selection of items for the non-seafood eater? We live near Philly and have a Legal and McCormick & Schmicks, so we are looking for something more local. We expect to dine after a day of touring, so we prefer someplace where we can dress casually.

Our entire family loves Asian food. Any suggestions for a great Chinese or Asian fusion restaurant?

We will be staying at the Hyatt on the Avenue de Lafayette, but expect to be near most of the tourist spots during the trip.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 07:42 PM

Well, you'll be a 5-minute walk from Chinatown.

Sorry I can't recommend a specific restaurant there. The only one I have eaten at is Penang, which had good food but slow service, but that was several years ago.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 09:21 PM
cw

Peach Farm in Chinatown is known for its lobster. Tia's on the waterfront also has lobster and some non-seafood items.

As you walk around near Quincy Market, you'll see signs outside of restaurants for lobster specials. If you're going for a tour of Fenway Park, the Summer Shack near the Prudential Center has an pan roasted lobster that always gets good reviews.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 01:59 AM

Although some here have disagreed, I love Summer Shack - but the Cambridge location, not the Boston one. Take the Red Line of MBTA to Alewife - it is across the parking lot.

While primarily seafood, they have some of the best fried chicken I have ever eaten. Check out a menu online to make sure there are enough choices for non-fish person, since I don't really pay attention to non-fish when I am there. And if you are into raw oysters, make sure you get some Wellfleet oysters there. Or they will make you up a selection of different location oysters, identify them to you when brought to table, and you can play oyster critic.

Take a walk thru Chinatown, pick a restaurant. Be sure to sightsee the live chickens in cages, just ready to be ordered and slaughtered to take home (not suggesting you do so). Walk around one of the Asian markets and wonder what you do with some of the stuff they sell.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! Summer Shack was on my list of considerations. We will give it a try.