Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston questions--I can help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-questions-i-can-help-226384/)

Lisa May 29th, 2002 11:54 AM

Boston questions--I can help!

I have been living in downtown Boston for the past 5 yrs. and helping friends and family plan trips here. If you have any questions, please feel free to direct them my way!

Pat May 29th, 2002 07:31 PM

Could you tell me how big a problem it is to ride the "T" from Logan to Boston College area with a small piece of wheeled luggage? There is still no locker rental allowed at Logan....<BR>Thanks for your advice.

gail May 30th, 2002 01:52 AM

All depends on what you define as a problem - it is doable. You first take a shuttle bus from terminal to Blue Line of MBTA. Ride that to change to Green line, which has several branches. You may or may not be able to get on a specific Boston College train at that point, or you may have to get off and change to a BC branch train. There are info booths if you get confused and other riders are usually able to give directions. You can wheel luggage onto Blue Line, but green line train involves stairs. MBTA stations all have elevators and/or escalators, and sometimes they are working. You will need to know where in "BC area" you want to get off train.

Rae May 30th, 2002 02:16 AM

Hi Lisa - thanks for the kind offer!<BR><BR>My partner and I visit Boston each year (just before Christmas) for shopping and relaxing. I adore the City - its my favourite US place to visit!<BR><BR>However, one thing I have never been able to do is get tickets for the Boston Ballet's Nutcracker at the Wang Centre.<BR><BR>I love the ballet and would really like to see this so can you tell me how early the tickets go on sale at the Wang? I know I should use Ticketmaster but I arranged tickets for a broadway show once and they weren't at the box office as arranged/payed for - so I'm a bit unahppy about using them again!<BR><BR>Also, how easy is it to get tickets at the Fleet centre for an Ice Hockey game - are they sold out quickly?<BR><BR>Thanks very much.<BR><BR><BR>

Kathy May 30th, 2002 05:27 AM

Dear Lisa<BR> We are flying into Boston for the day on June 1st. Please advise us on a seafood resturant that has items that are not deep fried. We plan to eat seafood for both lunch and dinner. For lunch I would love a salad topped with lots of good seafood and no mayo. Also looking for a good bakery. We plan to walk the freedom trail and the waterfront. Thanks

Ann May 30th, 2002 05:45 AM

Kathy, most of the better seafood restaurants will prepare fish without frying. In fact, frying is probably one of the least ordered preparations at the better ones. Legal Seafoods has a dish which is my favorite, stemed shrimp and broccoli around jasmine rice, topped with melted cheese (optional). Just don't go to the NoName or other lesser expensive places, but even there I'm sure they would broil for you. <BR><BR>As for a bakery, do you want bread or pastry? Go to the North End and visit Mikes. There are also bakeries there which specialize in breads (Mike's is for pastry...try the canolli, it's filled right when you order). I don't think there's a bad bakery in the North End. You'll pass many of them when you walk the Freedom Trail up to the North Church. Have a good visit. Too bad it's only for one day.

Ian May 30th, 2002 08:29 AM

Hello Lisa<BR><BR>Thanks for offering advice. I am coming to Boston in mid July for a short family vacation. I will have two children with me aged 7 & 5. I want to take them whale watching. Do you have any advice on the best tour ? Is it worth driving up the coast to get a boat or do the tours from Boston harbor offer the same thing ?<BR>Thank you

Donde Esta Lisa? May 30th, 2002 08:42 AM

Where's Lisa, aka the Boston concierge?

Lisa May 31st, 2002 07:24 AM

Hi Ian! <BR>I went whale watching last July around the same time you will be in town, and I believe that it is actually a little late in the whale watching season (most of the whales have already moved to a more northern feeding spot. Check out<BR>http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/whalewatch/. They offer the best whale watching boat excursions, and they can probably also answer any questions you may have. Their number is 617-227-4321 or <BR>1-877-SEE-WHALE (733-9425). Good luck!<BR>

Parrot Mom May 31st, 2002 07:43 AM

For the Nutcracker it would be highly recommended to get tickets right now. As for the whale watching, the Aquarium sponsors I believe a boat right from that area. Also in Boston for great seafood we like SkipJacks on Clarendon Street...there is no need to eat fried foods..I do agre that the Legal shrimp with jasmine rice is incredible.. Right now, this very second I have a yen for fried clams...with the bellies thank you very much..and lobster is coming back. If your lucky you'll be here for a Italian Festival in the North End.. and I absolutely agree about Mike's..

Lisa May 31st, 2002 07:59 AM

Kathy,<BR>Indeed, Legal Seafoods will definitely fit your bill for your seafood preferences. Although there are numerous locations, I would recommend staying away from the one in the Prudential shopping center downtown, unless you are prepared for a long wait. There is a less crowded and equally good Legal Seafoods in the Copley Place shopping mall, also downtown and just a few blocks away. Or, if you are out exploring Cambridge or Harvard, you can just hop on the Red Line T and go to the Kendall/MIT stop (about a 1-minute train ride) where nearby there is also a Legal Seafoods. For some alternative seafood spots, try Chinatown, which has great hidden treasures!

Mike May 31st, 2002 08:06 AM

OK some thoughts from someone who spent 10 years in Boston: Legal Seafood is very good; so is the No Name restaurant on the Fish Pier. The whale watching tours all go to the same spot so it makes perfect sense to start your trip in Boston itself. There's a great children's museum you might want to visit if you're traveling with kids. Boston is a great city so I hope you enjoy yourselves.

danna May 31st, 2002 08:18 AM

OK...I'll take the free advice. I'm considering a weekend trip w/ my husband in August. Never been to Boston before. I will do my own obsessing over where to eat, but can you make suggestions on things to do, neighborhoods to visit, best areas for strolling around window shopping,etc. We don't usually "do" monuments and stuff, but are interested in good museums.<BR><BR>Also what is the best part of town to stay in. Hotel suggestions? I like industrial-chic stuff better than traditional luxury.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>

Lisa May 31st, 2002 09:00 AM

Danna,<BR>Before you do any planning, try to find a hotel room using an online discount reservation site, such as www.hoteldiscounts.com, Priceline, or Hotwire.com. Unfortunately, this is the best way to book slightly affordable rooms in Boston ($110-$190), whereas if you pay normal prices, you will be shelling out exhorbinant amounts for very normal accomodations. The hotels that you can get through these sights are all very nice, and if you specify a that you want a hotel downtown, you will likely not come up with a lemon. That said, if you are looking for "industrial chic" over traditional luxury and are willing to pay "normal" rates, check out XV Beacon, or Nine Zero (www.ninezerohotel.com), both very posh, great locations, with a more modern feel. As for things to do, the Isabella Stewart Garnder museum is outstanding, and try to get tickets ahead of time (do a search for their website) to avoid standing in lines once you arrive. Strolling is a great summer activity in Boston. Stroll up to the North End, have a meal, walk past the harbor, and don't leave without grabbing some tasty pastries. Stroll through the Boston Commons, and up Newbury St.--Boston's Rodeo Dr.--for great people watching and outdoor eateries. Take a "duck tour"-they depart from downtown outside of the Prudential shopping mall. Walk along the Charles River and feed the ducks. Have fun planning your trip!

Suzy May 31st, 2002 09:08 AM

I agree with what Lisa said, except that rather than "downtown" you'd probably prefer a hotel in the Back Bay/Copley area. Closer to more attractions (Public Garden, Newbury Street, etc.) and a nicer area in general.

Lisa May 31st, 2002 09:10 AM

Yes, when searching for hotels, the "Back Bay/Copley" area is the one you want to go with! "Downtown" may refer to the financial district, which is not as central to all the attractions!

brian May 31st, 2002 09:18 AM

Lisa, how gracious of you! Family of four kids 16 and 14 will be visiting 6-17 thru 6-22. We have lodging but no set plans on things to do and places to see. WE would like ideas on things to do including day trips outside of Boston. also ideas on food that will fill up a teen but won't empty Dads pockets. BIG BIG question how do I get from Boston to airport in Providence (flying Southwest) Is there a shuttle or something along those lines

Suzy May 31st, 2002 09:38 AM

The Bonanza Bus company runs a bus from Boston to the airport, via Providence. (T.F. Green airport is technically in Warwick, south of Providence.)<BR><BR>http://www.bonanzabus.com/bospro.htm

Lisa May 31st, 2002 11:00 AM

Brian, <BR>If I know where you will be staying, it will be easier to give you some recommendations. Thanks!

Kathy May 31st, 2002 11:32 AM

Dear Lisa,<BR> Thanks so much for the help. My favorite bakery items are cookies but, nothing with chocolate. We hope to come back to Boston and travel up the coast this year or next.