Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston Public Transportation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-public-transportation-1083452/)

spirobulldog Jan 9th, 2016 10:04 AM

Boston Public Transportation

I always get so confused by Cities public transportation systems. The all try to have cute little names that just add to the confusion.

So, If I am going to be in Boston for say 5 days. I think I want a Charlie Card or a Charlie Ticket, but then I need to add a Link Pass to that?

So, What does the Charlie Card or Charlie Ticket cost?
The Link Pass is $19 and good for 7 days.

Apparently, you can also do this on your phone. I downloaded the APP and got absolutely nowhere. It would only let me do from one trip at a time. Furthermore, I couldn't find very many of the Stops on the APP.

I also realize that it is Inner Harbor Ferry only. So, if I am taking the ferry from the airport it would be more? Also, what if I take the subway from the airport on the Silver Line. The wording on that was useless too.

VERY VERY CONFUSED

SambaChula Jan 9th, 2016 11:31 AM

Go to the "T" site ( www.mbta.com) and look at a subway map. The routes are pretty clear. They all have a color. (The a Green line trolley has a few letter coded branches.) There are maps every few feet in every station too.

The only thing a bit odd to understand about signage is that "Inbound" means in the direction of Park Street station downtown from anywhere in the system ( a holdover from when most people worked in the city's downtown) and "Outbound" means any direction away from Park Street station.

The plastic Charlie Card saves a few cents (2.10 vs. 2.65) on every ride, over the fare on a Charlie Ticket. However, Charlie Cards are available only from T staff, and are not always readily available at all stations at all times. If you put money in, or use a credit/debit card in, a fare machine, you will be issued a paper Charlie Ticket.

There are also passes, as you mentioned. Only you know how many times you anticipate riding the T, and if a pass would save you money.

The silver Line from the airport to South Station, a Red line subway stop as well, is still free, afaik.

I am not familiar with any apps or with the ferries.

SambaChula Jan 9th, 2016 11:34 AM

To add:
Iirc the passes issue from the fare machine on a paper Charlie ticket, if no Charlie Card is tapped on the electronic pad.

cw Jan 9th, 2016 12:17 PM

If you're coming into Logan Airport there are machines where you buy the weekly pass. That is probably the best for you at $19 for unlimited rides on the subway and buses for your stay. Regular fare on the subway is $2.65 per ride, cheaper if you have a Charlie card, but they are not always easily available.

The Silver Line (stops at every terminal) is free from the airport to South Station, but not on the return to the airport. From South Station you can transfer (also for free) to the Red Line. Where are you going upon arrival?

www.mbta.com has a route planner to help you out, but the lines are not complicated and you will find it easy to navigate. Note that if you're coming in the next few months, Government Center Station is closed.

If you are traveling to the Copley Square/Prudential Center area, you can take the Logan Express bus, free with your weekly pass.

spirobulldog Jan 9th, 2016 01:40 PM

Don't I have to have a Charlie Ticket or Card to get the Link Pass?

Haven't decided on a hotel yet. Somewhere downtown I would think.
I am having a very very hard time making this work. I want simplicity and the website might be good for someone familiar with the area, but for me as a typical tourist it is terrible.

Perhaps I should forget the public transportation and just use one of the Trolleys?

I was just going to pay the $19 and use it whenever I wanted to. But, I am having a hard time figuring out what I actually need and where it actually goes.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/passes/

Ackislander Jan 9th, 2016 03:15 PM

Buy the $19 pass at the airport. Cheap at the price, bcheaper than London, Paris, New York, Washington.

You can go to all the universities, all the museums, all the different parts of the city by bus or subway or tram for less than $4 per day.

You can ride the back Bay shuttle to and from the airport to Copley Square, you can ride the Silver Line to and from the airport to South [AMTRAK and commuter rail] Station with connections to the Red Line subway.

You can take the Blue Line to the beach or take the Red line between Ashmont and Mattapan on antique tram cars. You can take ferries between Charlestown and Long Wharf and elsewhere.

Why would you not do this? There are information kiosks at the airport and at the airport station. Get a grip.

spirobulldog Jan 9th, 2016 04:01 PM

I'm not complaining about the price. I simply do not know if I need a Charlie Card or Charlie Ticket at all. The website seems to indicate that. That was my question. Which hasn't been answered.

SambaChula Jan 9th, 2016 05:21 PM

You have to decide where you intend to stay and the sights you hope to see, in order to try to estimate how many times you might ride the T. If you are going to ride more than 7 times, and you can't locate a Charlie Card, the pass is a good value. (7x2.65/ ride) if you locate a Charlie Vard, divide the $19 pass cost by $2.10 to see how many rides give you value for money. As I mentioned, I believe that if you locate a plastic Charlie Card, you can tap it on the fare machine during the transaction to purchase a pass. If not, the pass issues as a paper Charlie Ticket if you do not have an existing ticket to use. The website states that you can load a pass on either one.
Question answered now?

SambaChula Jan 9th, 2016 05:26 PM

If you are contemplating taking one of the Hop On/Off trolley services that go around to the sights, you still gave to get to a stop to buy that ticket and board. That may involve a walk or a T ride, depending on where you decide to stay. The HopOn/Off trolleys have nothing to do with the T.

SambaChula Jan 9th, 2016 05:56 PM

To help you with the T map, try making it larger (if you can) so just a small part fits on your screen. Or try to trace the icons/stops described below with your finger.

In the top left corner, place the Harvard Square stop on the Red Line.
At the top center, place Lechmere station at one end of the a Green line.
Include near the upper right corner, the airport.
At the bottom right, place the logo for the SL2 Silver line.

That is the only part of the T system you as a tourist would probably be using.

Red line stops in order: Harvard (for the obvious) , Central, Kendall, Charles/ MGH, Park Street (near some hotels), Downtown Crossing (only a block from Park)

Green line stops in order: Lechmere (end of line in Cambridge), Science Park ( for Science Museum), North Station, closed Gov't Ctr,, Park Street (where it crosses the Red line to change lines if needed), Boylston, Arlington, Copley (where some hotels are), and onward only maybe to go to the art museum (MFA and Gardner)

Blue line: if you want to go to the beach or take an alternate route to the airport

Orange line: to maybe get to a brewery tour at Sam Adams or not walk the short distance to Chinatown or to Quincy Market (where in addition to the market buildings/shops/bars, a few hotels are located)

Silver line:airport or contemporary art museum (iCA)

Don't know if that helps or confuses further, but really, the T is one of the simplest subway/metro systems I've encountered anywhere in the world.

cw Jan 9th, 2016 11:13 PM

The weekly pass is your Charlie ticket. No need for two purchases.

spirobulldog Jan 11th, 2016 04:42 PM

THANKS CW. That's what I wanted to know.