Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston nightlife & Cape Cod (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-nightlife-and-cape-cod-153298/)

Sue Aug 1st, 2001 01:30 PM

Boston nightlife & Cape Cod

<BR>I’m going with my husband to Boston in early September for a conference. Staying at the Sheraton. We’re looking for dancing – ballroom type. Any suggestions from those of you who know the area? Also, after the conference we’d like to rent a car and drive to the Cape for a couple days. I’m looking for suggestions on where to go and where to stay? We’d like to walk the beaches and check out quaint little shops. Thanks. <BR>

Beth Aug 1st, 2001 05:01 PM

The Bay Tower Room usually has dancing; check before you make the reservation. Also the Top of the Hub at the Prudential for cocktails. Check to see if the Roof at the Ritz is still open! Also, check into that fancy dinner boat; they supposedly have dancing too, but I can't remember the name. About 45 min. outside Boston, near Dedham, is "Mosleys" - a real old-time ballroom dance hall. <BR>You may be interested in the North End Culinery tour during your husband's conference. The phone is 671-523-6032. <BR>On the cape, I think you'd love Chatham. Check out the Chatham Bars Inn, the Wequasset Inn, and the Bradford Inn. (They are not "inns" in the traditional sense!) Just don't try to drive on to the Cape Friday afternoon, or off cape Sunday afternoon - the traffic will ruin your time! Enjoy!

lucy Aug 3rd, 2001 07:17 AM

Try Martha's vineyard on the cape.

Jean Aug 7th, 2001 01:57 PM

Shame on you Lucy, you did the anti-tourist thang! Martha's Vineyard is an Island, you must take a ferry, there is no bridge, tunnel nor causeway. It is not on the Cape but a 45min. ferry ride away from Woods Hole. Lots to see and do on Cape and just a day trip to the Vineyard. Welcome.

arvid Aug 8th, 2001 05:01 AM

Stay away from Mosely's per the first post!!! It is not very nice. <BR> <BR>I would check with the concierge at the Sheraton. I am not into ballroom-type dancing, so I cannot make suggestions (sorry). <BR> <BR>I also recommend Chatham on Cape Cod (and the inns/hotels mentioned are excellent).

jackie Aug 17th, 2001 04:34 PM

Boston <BR>On your trip to the Cape, I'd recommend you get off Route 6 and head down 6A. Its very quaint and has lots of interesting shops. You should have a casual lunch at Daniel Webster Inn in Sandwich; you may even want to spend a night here. If you want to travel further south, I'd also recommend spending n Chatham. I've stayed at the Bradford Inn and it is very nice. The Chatham Bar Inn is in a beautiful spot, but is quite expensive. Enjoy your trip.

Cathy Aug 18th, 2001 02:43 PM

Another nice spot would be Brewster on Rt 6a there are many quaint shops. Two nice Inns come to mind - The Bramble Inn and the Brewster Farmhouse Inn. Chatham as previous posters have mentioned is also very nice and downtown is wonderful for shopping.You will love the fall on the Cape!

Carrie Aug 20th, 2001 08:02 PM

I'm heading to the Cape in September and will be staying in Wellfleet at a place called Holbrook House (www.holbrookwellfleet.com). It's costing me around $140 a night (holiday price). It looks like a really nice B&B... only 6 guests at a time, so it's very quaint. I looked at a ton of places, and ended up going with one that I got off of Fodor's.