Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   BOSTON - Nice restaurant for hubby's birthday (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-nice-restaurant-for-hubbys-birthday-699876/)

epaulino Apr 25th, 2007 06:51 AM

BOSTON - Nice restaurant for hubby's birthday

Originally though of taking him to Lock Ober or Four Seasons restaurant. They are great but too much money, especially a weeknight with an early start next day.

Do you a recommendation for a great restaurant, great ambiance but not so much money?

Thanks in advance!

BostonGal Apr 25th, 2007 06:54 AM

Lots of recs here..

But what kind of food do you like? What area do you prefer?
How much are you thinking of spending?

Hammersley's is a great place and it's got great ambiance, fab food, awesome location and decent prices.
That'd be my first rec.

Thomas6 Apr 25th, 2007 07:08 AM

We love the Blue Ginger, Ming Tsai's restaurant in Wellesley, and the Elephant Walk in Somerville - if you are interested in ethnic foods.

steviegene Apr 25th, 2007 07:21 AM

We had a very nice dinner at the Blue room in Cambridge.
Recommended from the Chowhound Boards (an excellent place to go to pick a special restaurant).

sofee Apr 25th, 2007 03:22 PM

2nd vote for Hammersley's Bistro. Food is fantastic, service attentive and the atmosphere is nice without being stuffy. It's expensive, but not Lock Ober expensive.

Shandy1977 Apr 25th, 2007 07:49 PM

I would recommend McCormack & Schmick's.

Yes, they are a chain. They also offer a very nice atmosphere, great service, and the best seafood in Boston.

Being a seafood lover born and bred in Boston, I travel the city looking for that great fish. If seafood is what you want, you will not go wrong with this spot.

wyatt92 Apr 26th, 2007 04:57 AM

How about 28 Degrees or Union in the South End?

jb04 Apr 26th, 2007 05:22 AM

I don't post much but I do lurk often and am born and bred in Boston. My vote for you is Taranta in the North End. I've been there twice for my anniversary and not been disappointed either time. It's a bit expensive but not Four Seasons expensive. We sat upstairs by a window and the food and ambience was perfect. So was the waiter.

djkbooks Apr 26th, 2007 06:00 AM

If you want to go to Lock Ober, you can always order off the menu at the bar. You can order a selection of appetizers, share a main course (portions are huge), or go for dessert and coffee.

If your husband likes steak, highly recommend Abe & Louie's. Another great place to "dine" at the bar or in the bar area (where portions are also huge).

If the weather is really nice, a table outdoors at McCormack & Schmidt is fabulous.

AntInNewYork Apr 27th, 2007 01:13 PM

Has anyone eaten at Top of the Hub? I was there for drinks this week and thought it was really nice.

wyatt92 Apr 27th, 2007 01:42 PM

The food is average. You really go for the view.

cigalechanta Apr 27th, 2007 08:27 PM

/I think Legal Seafoods has the freshest seafood. They haave thier own boats and microbioligist to ensure the fish have nothing to avoid.

tovarich Apr 28th, 2007 02:36 AM

If you're an Italian food fan you cant go wrong with La Famiglia Giorgio's on Newbury street.Great and not expensive family restaurant in a posh neighbourhood.For seafood McCormick & Smiccs is always a good choice.Paul