Boston - Museum of Fine Arts or Institute of Contemporary Art

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you only had time to hit one of these two museums on a Friday night, which do you prefer; Museum of Fine Arts or Institute of Contemporary Art. Also, can you recommend a place for dinner nearby

Thanks for your help.
Laurie
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 09:58 AM
cw

I guess there may not be any replies to your question because what museum you visit is entirely a matter of personal taste.

If it was my only museum visit in Boston, I would go to the MFA. But if you're interested in contemporary art or in visiting a new modern building overlooking Boston Harbor, I'd go to the ICA. Take a look at their websites and preview a collection or exhibit that you might want to see.

Depending on where you're staying, one may be more convenient for a visit that the other. Knowing that, it would be easier to give you dinner recommendations. There aren't a whole lot of choices really close to either one. The new location of the store Louis is near the ICA and has a restaurant, though reviews I've seen have been mixed. http://samsatlouis.com/menu

The same can be said of Pier 4, a restaurant right next to the ICA.

If you went to the MFA, you'd probably head back towards Copley Square and Back Bay afterwards for many dinner options. What kind of food/atmosphere are you looking for?
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Well, the MFA is one of the greatest museums in the United States with huge collections of things you have seen pictures of all your life and a lot of stuff you didn't even know existed. If you like Impressionists and American paintings, you can't go wrong.

The ICA is spectacularly located though hard to get to (even finding the front door from nearby parking lots was not trivial last time I was there. What is seeable at any given time depending on what is showing. That sounds dumb, but what I really mean is that they don't have a big permanent collection on view like MOMA.

I agree with CW that there is no place decent to eat near either of them, though the MFA has a restaurant and cafe. I would go back to the Back Bay or South End to eat.

If you are good walkers, you can walk along the waterfront from the ICA to the North End. On the way and in the North End, you will see many choices in all price ranges.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 04:11 PM

I would choose the MFA, a spectacular art museum, with an awesome Impressionist collection!! Agree with Ackislander that you have seen pictures of these collections, now you can see the real thing.
If you go to MFA, I would try Back Bay for dining.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 12:28 AM

Again personal preference - have been to both a number of times. So very difficult to say which one you should visit for a one-time visit. You can spend much longer at the MFA wandering thru various centuries. You have probably been to many similar museums.

The ICA is unique - the building and view being part of the art. Much of the art is 3-D (actual 3-D - not something you view thru silly glasses), some of it has a sense of humor or at least a sense of irony which is something I find missing in some classic art.

The view over the harbor towards the airport is almost worth the trip, and the way a huge glass wall is built into a passageway between galleries is appealing to me.

Agree not much to eat very close to either - there are some little funky restaurants along Mass Ave area in general area of MFA but I have not been to any of them - probably some hidden gem there, but I wonder if the emphasis would be on the "hidden" rather than the "gem".

ICA is in waterfront area near newish Convention Center and one of the reasons people give negative comments here about that area as a place to stay is the lack of anything else there - it has been an "up and coming" area of Boston for about 20 years and I am still waiting. Hop in a cab and go to the North End
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 07:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are passionate about contemporary art, then the ICA will be a good choice. If you are passionate about any other style of art, then the MFA will be a good choice.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 07:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
When are you going? If it's after early November, MFA no doubt. They are about to open the new American Wing and if it is as good as it's being hyped, it will be phenomenal! Even without the American Wing, the MFA stands on its own as an excellent museum.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I work at the MFA, so of course that is the one I would suggest. Yes, if you are going in late November the MFA is a must. The new American wing in opening, which unfortunately means that there is almost nothing out American in the rest of the museum right now. However, everything else is in place and fabulous.

For eating, there is a cafeteria, very nice cafe and high end restaurant at the MFA, otherwise I wouldn't recommend anything outside the building. There is the trolley line however, and good eating is only a few stops away going east.

As for the ICA, it is a very funky building but the exhibits are only as good as your own personal interest. There is very good eating within walking distance. Across the street is the Seaport Hotel, next to that Legal Sea Foods Test Kitchen, the funky No Name restaurant, a quarter of a mile going east and a delicious seafood restaurant on the Harbor with a view of the city walking west. There are a couple of pubs and bars in that area too and a Morton's Steak House. I would still recommend the MFA.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Agree that unless you really like contemporary art, go to the MFA. I have been to the ICA once, am glad it was on free admission night, and have no desire to go back. I must admit the view from the top floor was pretty impressive though - the best thing about the ICA, IMO.

Whichever one you choose, confirm that it is open late the Friday you want to visit. Both close early on some Fridays.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 06:15 PM

MFA if you can only go to one. If you have an account with Bank of America, maybe you can go during one of their free museum weekends and save $$$.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 06:22 PM

http://museums.bankofamerica.com/
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! The MFA it is.
Laurie