Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   BOSTON, MARTHA'S VINEYARD, NANTUCKET SEAFOOD DINING (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-marthas-vineyard-nantucket-seafood-dining-14573/)

April May 24th, 1997 02:28 PM

BOSTON, MARTHA'S VINEYARD, NANTUCKET SEAFOOD DINING

my husband and i are going to boston, martha's vineyard and nantucket this summer and would like to get some recommendations on great seafood restaurants. if you have anything else to add in terms of things we should definitely not miss on our vacation, let me know.

Jeanne Danek May 27th, 1997 08:41 AM

If you like bike riding, that is the best way to see the Islands. Of course don't miss the Gingerbread
houses. And a walk around town at night is nice. The houses are all lit up, and they look beautiful.

B.Irving May 27th, 1997 10:37 AM

A number of years back, spent a day in Boston & ate at an excellent seafood place called
Durgan's Wharf. It was highly recommended by somebody who had been there. Not sure if the
place is still there, but it should be. I think it is listed in the AAA travel book. It is
not a fancy place, you can go there in jeans, & after 1 table is done they clear it & just
throw another table cloth on the table. The food was excellent. We had ordered 1 pound lobster.
& it was 1 pound worth -- WITHOUT the shell. the restaurant is upstairs from a bar, & the
waiting line can be rather long -- down the stairs & out the door. There is a trick though,
or atleast there was. Go into the bar, order a drink & tell them you are going upstairs to
eat, they used to then give you a pass, then you could go up a different staircase that may
have only 1 or 2 groups, if any, & you will then get seated much quicker & bypass the main
line.

John May 29th, 1997 06:08 PM

For the best seafood in Boston, go to one of many Legal Seafoods restaurants. Although they have a number of locations including the airport, believe me, it's no Red Lobster! They are the only restaurant that has a micro-biology lab on site to check for bacteria levels in the food. It may not be romantic, but it sure is tasty.

Audrey May 30th, 1997 05:33 AM

I think B. Irving is referring to Durgin Park which is at the Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall area. But I agree with John that Legal Seafoods is the best.

Connie Mcginnis May 30th, 1997 08:38 AM

The Vineyard is my favorite place on earth--you will love it. You must have dinner at the Black Dog Tavern. In Boston, I ditto that Legal Seafoods is great. I'm not a big seafood lover but even I love Legals.(I saw Huey Lewis eating there once which was kind of fun.) Durgin Park, also previously mentioned, is real fun and is a tourist hot spot. It is famous for its "rude" waitresses and casual atmosphere. Have fun. Sounds like a great trip.

Mario & Donna Rocci May 31st, 1997 05:12 AM

Almost all of the restaurants we went to featured excellent seafood dishes. We would recommend L'Etoile, Dry Town Cafe, and The Oyster Bar. Enjoy and don't forget your wallet!!!

Mario & Donna Rocci May 31st, 1997 05:16 AM

The restaurants we previously posted are on Martha's Vineyard.