Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston logan airport arriving term B (US) departing term E with baggage (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-logan-airport-arriving-term-b-us-departing-term-e-with-baggage-1040721/)

DreaMPoweR Mar 20th, 2015 02:35 AM

Boston logan airport arriving term B (US) departing term E with baggage

Hi Guys,

I will be arriving in Boston from NJ and would like to go to the terminal E for my transfer flight. I will be carrying 4 luggages from terminal B to E (I think I have to take them in terminal B and bring to my international flight by myself?) So my question is how long would it take to go from terminal B to E and are there some available carts in terminal B that I can carry my luggages to terminal E.

Thanks

J62 Mar 20th, 2015 02:45 AM

Can you give more information about the 2 flights? That will help us help you determine if your baggage will be checked all the way from NJ to your final destination or not.

Same or different airline? IF so, which airlines?
Both flights purchased on a single ticket, or separate tickets?

DreaMPoweR Mar 20th, 2015 02:52 AM

Thanks for your response. Actually, my first flight will be from Ithaca, NY to NJ by United Airlines. The second one will be from NJ to Boston Logan airport by Unites Airlines. The last one will be from Boston Logan terminal E to Istanbul, Turkey by Turkish airlines. I purchased my tickets as a single ticket, not separately.

J62 Mar 20th, 2015 03:00 AM

United and Turkish are both members of the Star alliance. Your bags can be checked all the way from Ithaca to Istanbul - you will not see them in either Newark or Boston.

DreaMPoweR Mar 20th, 2015 03:05 AM

Oh, thanks a lot, I did not know that. Actually, the agency from which I bought my tickets said that I had to pick up my luggages and bring them to my last flight. That is why I am worried. Is it possible to check that information? I mean, I do not want to experience a last minute problem with my luggages because the time between my flights is really short.

SambaChula Mar 20th, 2015 03:21 AM

If the flights are on a single ticket, luggage might go through. Check with the airlines directly.
Also terminal B is a separate building from terminal E on the other side of the airport, and is not really walkable. There is a bus that circulates, but it does not accommodate carts.
Airport map:
https://www.massport.com/logan-airpo...eractive-maps/

china_cat Mar 20th, 2015 03:44 AM

How tight is that connection? Because even if you don't need to drag your luggage, you do have to go through security again at terminal e, which can have very long lines at times. If you do have to wait for your bags, and drag them across the airport, wait in line to recheck them, and go through security, well, I hope you have 3 hours.

nytraveler Mar 20th, 2015 04:46 AM

Agree that you need to confirm this directly with the airlines.

Also, how much time do you have to get from one terminal to another. Yes, the security lines for international flights can be very long and you need to make sure you have a realistic chance of making this - or switch to earlier flights to get to Boston sooner.

Similarly your change in NJ. Is this at Newark? Have you allowed enough time there for switching planes (on time record is often dreadful)?

DreaMPoweR Mar 20th, 2015 06:00 AM

The time between my first and second flights is 67 min. The second time between my second and third flights is 135 min. I am trying to call United Airline, I am hoping that I will get a precise response from them.

DreaMPoweR Mar 20th, 2015 06:16 AM

I was able to talk to one of the representatives on the phone and she said there is an agreement between Turkish Airlines and United Airlines (probably the same reason that J62 gave: the star alliance members) and when I check my luggages in Ithaca, they will go all the way to Istanbul.

So, you think 135 min. is enough between 2 flights?

J62 Mar 20th, 2015 07:15 AM

yes, i think 135min is enough time. UA should also issue you boarding passes for BOS to Istanbul, so you would just need to get yourself to the departure terminal & gate.

Since it is booked on one ticket, if there are UA delays that cause you to miss your connection, the airline will rebook you on the next available flight. That could be same flight the next day, or an alternate route eg through FRA Lufthansa, for example.

If you are concerned about making the connecting flight, I suggest you inform yourself of backup plans so you can have an informed disussion with the airline about options.

SambaChula Mar 20th, 2015 08:12 AM

I (in Boston, using that airport often) think 135 minutes would be very tight. Any small thing that causes a delay, from a late arrival into Boston, to not being able to find the bus right away, to long lines at security in Terminal E, might be enough to cause you to miss your Istanbul flight. As mentioned above, know what your backup options would be.

cw Mar 20th, 2015 09:06 AM

From Terminal B, you can take the #11 or 55 shuttle bus to Terminal E, or you can walk (just follow the signs, there is no terminal D). The Logan airport website estimates the walk at 7 minutes. I would think it would be closer to 10.

Here's a link to the airport map: https://www.massport.com/logan-airpo...ractive-maps/#

It might be faster to walk if you don't have a heavy carry-on. With your boarding pass you can go directly to the security line in Terminal E. If you're short of time, tell the person at the security entrance what flight you're taking. Since you won't have to wait for luggage, just head for Terminal E after you land.

DreaMPoweR Mar 20th, 2015 11:56 AM

Thanks a lot to everyone, you were of a great help. I think I can make it in 10-15 min walking. Then it should be enough.