Portland ME heads up

Search

Portland ME heads up

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland ME heads up

Lucky us, Maine can be a day trip for us but we usually ignore southern Maine as too built up, too much traffic etc. DH wanted to make a quick visit to Wells so it was a good opportunity to see something new in Portland and add to our list of lobster rolls places. The goal: Bite Into Mane food truck that is parked in Fort Williams Park. I had read on Chowhound that it served the best lobster rolls. Doing a little research, I found that they offered six different varieties of lobster rolls. SIX! Of course, we still ordered the Maine version (a little mayo, butter toasted hot dog roll) and some local root beer. DH opted for chips but I chose the corn, blueberry and cucumber salad for a side. Our usual venues are the deep fried seafood places where onion rings are our usual choice.

What I did not expect was Fort Williams Park. I don't think I have ever seen this mentioned in Maine trip reports. Everyone walks the Marginal Way in Ogunquit. This is similar. Nice walk, probably shorter along the edge of the cliffs. The beach is tiny but the park is huge, 90 acres and home to Portland Head Light. We brought our bag chairs but there were quite a few picnic tables scattered around and benches along the walkway. The Fort operated from the 1800s to 1963 and protected Portland during WW2.
http://www.capeelizabeth.com/visitor...park/home.html

It's not crowded. Free parking. No fee to visit! We enjoyed our lobster rolls while watching beautiful Casco Bay. A small cruise ship went by. Lots of sailboats out and a yacht or two. Some people were sunbathing. Some walking dogs. What a jewel on the coast. Definitely worth a visit whether you are looking for lobster rolls or not. This is the Cape Elizabeth area just south of Portland.

If you have decent directions, you can be in the Old Port area of Portland in 15 minutes. Two Fat Cats Bakery was our destination for dessert - maybe the best whoopie pies in Maine. (Filling is more like whipped cream.)
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 03:11 AM

Wow! Six kinds! My wife will go crazy, though I bet she will ultimately make the same choice as you!
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 05:05 AM

What a great place to know about, my SIL lives in York but has never taken us there.

so what were the six kinds?
Were there other sides ? ( yours sounds terrific)
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll be up that way in September. Will definately check it out.

~Liz
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the food truck info! We stumbled upon the same walking path last year while we were visiting the Portland Headlight. We'd seen the lighthouse before, but had never noticed the path along the cliffs. It did remind us of Marginal Way, but at least when we were there, it was a lot less crowded on a summer weekend.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:44 PM

GREAT reminder dsf!

For others, one should also consider the Eastern Prominade and Fort Allen Park. A picnic of duck fat fries and a duck confit panini from just up the street is nice too!

This is an outdated trip report. I love Portland Maine!

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Six kinds were: Maine, Connecticut (hot butter), wasabi, chipotle, curry, and picnic style (layer of cole slaw). Here's the link to their menu http://www.biteintomaine.com/#!menu/cnkn
The sides rotate. I think they also had potato salad and baked beans.
Elberko, they should be there until November but check ahead of time.

Jubilada, do you get any time to explore Portland? A friend rents a cottage in Wells and I have never been to the Rachel Carson preserve.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 03:39 PM

I have never really done so dfrost though every year we say we will. My SIL knows the area well but we just haven't done it yet.