Boston in March w/10 teenagers? What to do?

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 07:35 PM
Steve

Boston in March w/10 teenagers? What to do?

I'm a high school counselor taking 10 H.S. students to visit colleges in the Boston area. The problem is we're visiting in mid-March (cold and rainy). Need help coming up w/activities to entertain them in the evening. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 04:13 AM
betsy

Hi Steve-
Take them to the OMNI Theater at The Museum of Science. Not sure what will be playing there in March, but if you do a web search for the Museum's web page, I'm sure you could find out there.
Jillians is a fun place also--a huge arcade and pool hall. Not sure of age requirements though (I think it's definatly 18+ on weekend nights), but a quick call or check at their website should tell you. www.jillians.com
You could go walk around Harvard Sq which is pretty lively at night. See if the Celtics are in town (you can get $10 seats). Bruins would be way more expensive. Blue Man Group is a great "play" that the kids would love if you want to shell out the $$$ for tickets. It is playing at the Charles Playhouse. Maybe you could get a group rate?? Hope this helps!

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Dawn

You could also take them to the Aquarium which is a wonderful place to blow a few hours.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 03:51 PM
edie

you might get lucky and not get rain.

emphasize to the kids to pack comfy shoes and warm outerwear, so if it's nice at night, you can walk up and down newbury st.

another possibility is a nice italian dinner in the north end. i NEVER reccomend this restaurant, but for 10 teenagers, it should be fine...La Famiglia. it's a family style typical italian restaurant, large plates of pasta w/lots of garlic. reasonable prices, no "weird" things on the menu. walk off your meal in the north end, stopping for an espresso somewhere.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Laura

I would also suggest going to the top of the Hancock Tower. Great view at night and they have a diarama show (15 minutes) that recounts the Paul Revere ride and the battles that ensued. Another thing that is fun is Fanuel Hall/Quincy Market -- lots of great shops and street performers.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:11 PM
sharona

All of the above are good suggestions. I'll also throw out the laser shows at the Museum of Science (www.mos.org). There are several shows (45-60 minutes each) featuring all different kinds of music. Those shows seem to be popular with the under 21 set since there is no minimum age. I'll also second the Jillians suggestion as well (www.jilliansboston.com) but be aware that Sunday - Thursday after 7 pm is 18+ and Friday and Saturday after 7pm is 19+.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Diane

Why don't you ask them what they want to do? Afterall, if they want to go to college in Boston, what are they going to do at night once they are accepted to the college of their dreams? And, they better have money to do it!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Penny

Take them to Harvard Square. I recently posted a question here about a dinner for my teenage daughter, and people recommended a place called Fire & Ice. http://www.fire-ice.com/

There's also a branch in the Back Bay--so if you go to the top of the Hancock, you'd be nearby.

where will you be staying?

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 04:38 AM
Amy

Take them to The Garment District in Kendall square. It's this funky, CHEAP vintage clothing store. It's so huge that they call themselves an "alternative department store". Perhaps even better is Buck-A-Pound (Garment District is on the second floor, bucka pund is on the first). Here, they have clothes, shoes, housewares, and other random junk everywhere, and it all costs a dollar per pound. I find most of my clothes there. They'll have a ton of fun, and can get a whole new wardrobe for less than 10 bucks. But they need to have an adventurous spirit.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 10:11 PM
chris

Why?????????????????????????????????????

VALIUM hAVE FUN.. wALK FREDOOM TRAIL BOSTON COMMON STATE HOUSE. tHERE IS ALSO AGRAVE YARD BETWEEN FANIUEL HALL AND BOSTON COMMON THAT HAS ALOT OF HISTORY IN THERE. ALSO HAVE DIMSUM IN CHINA TOWN.. JFK LIBRARY. TAKE THE DUCK TOURS OLD WWII WAR TRUCKS/BOATS

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Ann

Take them for a meal at the Movenpick Marche in the Prudential Center. It's a marketplace sort of thing where you go to individual stations for your foods (and everyone can get exactly what they want). Lots of fun, and open well beyond midnight.

Check out what's happening on campus in the evenings at the schools you'll be visiting. Often there are concerts, shows, etc. that may give your kids an additional taste of college life and be low cost or free as well. Many of the local college newspapers are online so you could check them in advance. Also, you might ask the admissions office what they'd reccomend on campus during your visits. Have a great visit.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:47 AM
marj

Take the freedom trail given free by the parks department. They do a great job. It's a walking tour stopping at various sights of activitity during the revolutionary war days. Very interesting and educational. I don't have the info handy but most tour books would mention it (including AAA guide) and i'm sure there are posts here and other info on the internet. The fine arts museum is also very good and i hear the acquarium is great.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 01:24 AM
gail

There is a ticket booth in Harvard Square that does same-day 1/2-price tickets to major and minor plays/concerts, etc. in Boston area. You have to go in person. If you do the Freedom trail, the Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market area is near end and has lots of little shops, restaurants. This is also a very short walk to North End (Italian area) where you will find cute narrow streets and a huge variety of eateries. If you are around this area on Friday/Sat during day, Haymarket has hundreds of pushcart food vendors - an open-air market. My kids think it is fun to walk through there are see people selling whole squid, fish and cow tongues. March is school vacation time for a lot of colleges, so I am not sure what will be going on, but check with them. I would guess that the admission offices at various colleges could also steer you to on-campus events.