Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston-how long walking back bay to fanueil hall?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Allegori

Approximately how long would it take me to walk from one end of Boston to the other. As in: back bay to fanueil hall for example? That is, not counting stopping to shop or rest? about how many miles or how many hours walking time? thanks..really need to know.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 03:33 PM
gail

I believe it took me about 50 minutes walking briskly, without jaywalking etc.I decided to catch a cab back as it got darker though.It did not feel as appealing at the end of the day to the return the same way!

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 03:46 PM
Allegori

thanks Gail. did you start at fanueil hall or back bay? 50 minutes doesn't sound bad...that pretty much covers all of boston downtown doesn't it? including copley and prudential???

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 06:36 PM
gail

Started at Back Bay.I should tell you I was extremley motivated to go to the basement sale at Filenes so I REALLY did not stop to see anything else (don't forget to leave time to visit North End). We had stopped many times on other days to see the many sights along the way!!!P.S.Don't miss the Swan Boats or the Boston Pops!Have a great trip!

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 08:21 PM
charles

Depends how fast you walk. If I were doing it, fastest time would be around a half hour. If I were doing south end to North end (longer) it would be around 45 minutes. Of course, I know the city and walk quickly.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 03:56 AM
Allegori

WOW! I'm pleasantly surprised. I wanted to cover the Fanueil Hall area, the Boston Common, area around Freedom Trail, Newbury Street and then Copley Place and Back Bay. If that takes around an hour walking, that's not bad at all. Thanks!

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 04:15 AM
betsy

Allegori--
A little clarification--Copley Sq, Prudential Center, and Newbury St are located in the Back Bay--the Back Bay is not a seperate place-it's a neighborhood. I agree with the above posters on walking times--Boston is what I call a "big little city"-and it's very walkable. Hope you have a great time!!!

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 05:56 AM
Neal Sanders

Allegori, fifty minutes makes the rash assumption that you aren't planning on any stops. You wouldn't come to Boston and do that, would you?

If I start at the Arlington Street end of Newbury Street (by the Public Garden), walk the six long blocks to Gloucester, pause to take in a few shops and many store windows, and come back via Commonwealth Avenue (one block north of Newbury) to admire the architecture; that's roughly a three hour walk. Add another hour or so through the Public Garden and Boston Common to watch the swan boats, find the ducklings statues, with a side trip up into Beacon Hill. Fifteen minutes takes you from the northeast corner of Boston Common, by the state house, across Government Center to Faneuil Hall (Faneuil Hall is a destination in and of itself). Then, about two hours to see the lower part of the Freedom Trail, stopping to read the history; wandering into places like Old South Church.

In other words, fifty minutes portal to portal if you're rushing to a meeting. If you're a tourist -- and especially a first time tourist -- give it all day.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Allegori

I'll play it by ear too then. Worst case scenario, I hail a cab.. LOL

Listen...other than asking..if I'm on newbury (don't know what cross road) - it's where the trollies stop...how do I know which end the Public Garden is at? Pls.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 09:52 AM
charles

Definitely wanted to agree with Neal - my half hour is an "I'm going to a meeting" half hour. Boston is definitely a great walking city though - it is the best way to see the city. And if you get tiret, you can take the T (subway) back. But to reiterate our motto, don't drive in Boston. You will be very unhappy if you do.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 09:52 AM
betsy

The public garden is at the east end.
One trick is to notice the streets that Cross Newbury St. From East to West the streets are alphabetical. Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth and so on. The Public Garden is at Arlington Street. Say you're at the corner of Fairfield St and the next street you come to is Gloucester, you're heading in the wrong direction.....Hope this helps!

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 10:12 AM
Craig

Neal is quite right. Boston is a great city in that you can walk 30 minutes from one thing to another. If you're thinking half hour from Back Bay (I would consider it starting at Fenway Park for sightseeing purposes) to Fanueil Hall (through to the Aquarium) you are no longer walking. Take all day, please, and save the shoe leather.

-Craig

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 11:03 AM
tweedy

I would suggest getting a map of the city at a local bookstore or on the web. That way you have an idea of where you are going, not that you will get lost, it's kind of tuff to get really lost the city is fairly small, but so you get to see all the things you want to fit into your trip. Think of it this way from Back Bay to Fanuiel Hall you will see, starting at Huntington and Mass Ave,

Symphony Hall
Prudential Center
Newbury St
Boston Public Library
Boston Common
Boston Garden (State House Building)
With several historic churches on the way.
On Tremont St. there is a historic cemetery where Paul Rever is buried and several other important patriots.

A tour of Boston really gives you an appreciation of our history.

Look for the spot where the Boston Massacre happened, (close to Old City Hall) the Church where the patriots left to do the Boston Tea Party. And so much more.

Enjoy.

tweedy

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 02:35 PM
Allegori

I truly don't know how to show my appreciation to all of you for your kind response to my query. Thank you all and the best always. You have helped me tremendously;more than you know. <sigh> Thanks to you all for your time and thanks to Fodors for this forum.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 04:14 AM
Adam

I walk around Boston all the time. When I walk from Fenway Park to the waterfront it takes me about 45 minutes to an hour. I would pretty much say that is one end of Boston to the other. Boston is a great city to walk through so don't worry. People are very friendly and will help you make it from one end to the other end.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 05:13 AM
Allegori

Adam, thank you.