Boston Hotels? Backbay vs. Boston Common

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into hotels for our Boston stay in Sept. 2003. Several people recommend staying in Backbay since it is close to pretty much everything-metro, tourist sites. However, hotels in this area are more expensive. How does Boston Common compare to Backbay? Is it safe? Any recommendation for hotels--between $100-$150 for both area?

Thanks,
Adrienne
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:45 AM

Boston Common borders Beacon Hill and the Financial District. Its a safe area but I'm wondering specifically what hotels you have in mind. Its easier to give feedback if we know which hotel.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:15 AM

Check out Priceline and Hotwire. We're staying at the Marriott Copley Place (Back Bay) next month for $82.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

djkbooks,

Wow! you got a great deal. I'd be lucky to find something like that. I'm holding on to see if I could get a deal later on (we'll be in Boston sept. 10-14).

Bennie--thanks for your reply. I don't have any specific hotel in mind--a clean room, not too small, convenient to tourist spots..stuff like that. I figured that most of the time we'll be out; a place to crash that's decent is what I am looking for, especially since I am not forking out the big cash, although it would be great if I could get a deal like djkbooks did.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 01:25 AM

For that price, you should be able to get a 4* on Hotwire or Priceline. I got the Sheraton in Back Bay for four nights for $76 per night on Hotwire (that was back in January though).

If you select the Back Bay area and go for a 4* I think you're pretty sure to end up in a good location near the T.

Back Bay seemed very safe as did most of the areas in Boston I saw.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 11:24 AM

Now that you've mentioned your exact dates, I would offer the following:

For Boston, rates are their highest in September and October, due to the numerous meetings and conventions and "Fall Foliage". And, weekday nights are sometimes significantly higher than weekend nights.

For a 4-night stay, Downtown/Financial District, Back Bay, Copley, Theater District, would all be just fine, as you'll want to go all over during your visit.

You can get far lower rates with online booking services as opposed to booking directly with the hotel.

Your best bet is to book something you can cancel, making careful note of the cancellation policies.

Check out www.cityres.com - you could book the Radisson for $99, which is nicely located two short blocks south of Boston Common and 4 blocks east of Copley Square. I noted cityres is offering the Lenox for your dates for $139, which is quite the bargain! An inquiry at the Lenox website produced rates over $200/night for the same dates. The Lenox has just undergone extensive restoration/renovations (these low rates and the fact that it's popping up on Hotwire would indicate they're trying to lure back patrons).

At any rate, a good tactic is to book something you can cancel, then watch Hotwire, and think about bidding on Priceline. If you really aren't comfortable with Hotwire or Priceline, you'll still have a nice room at a more reasonably price and will have been able to select the hotel yourself.

The best rates with Priceline and Hotwire tend to be available closer to your dates, for "leftover" rooms.

Before bidding on Priceline, it is highly recommended that you carefully study the Hotel FAQ's and post a "bidding form" and request assistance. The assistance at BFT is expert.

If you stick to 4*'s for Boston, there are plenty of "free re-bids" - areas with no 4*'s.

You do have to adjust your expectations with Hotwire and Priceline. They change hotel ratings and the borders of their areas constantly. You never know what results you'll get, so it's best not to "hope for" any particular hotel.

I've used both Priceline and Hotwire many, many times for Boston. Each booking is an entirely new endeavor. I've been more pleased with the Hotwire hotels and their location, but have gotten (often significantly) lower rates with Priceline.

It really pays to do some serious shopping. But, no matter how you book, you must carefully read everything before providing your credit card number and finalizing your reservation or bid.

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Boston Common is across the street from the Public Gardens in the back Bay. The old Ritz overlooks the garden. Part of the common is back bay(Four Seasons Hotel) on Boylston and it goes around to Tremont street(downtown) to the other side Beacon St(Beacon Hill)
As I live here, I don't know hotel prices but a new hotel in Copley Square on Boylston opened "The "Charlessmark"starting at $119,,charlesmarkhotel.com
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Adrienne,
I just booked a room yesterday through priceline.com I will be staying at the Marriott Copley Place in backbay for $80.00 with taxes it comes to 96.77 plus 35.00 to park your car. My stay begins this Friday. This is much cheaper than the quote I got from the hotel when I called. For the same room they were charging $179 + tax.
I also went to hot wire and they were listing 4 star hotels for S86.00. That is why I tried priceline for an $80 quote because I knew I could get an $86.00 throught Hotwire.
Good luck with your search- there are certainly bargains out there.
JoAnne58
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
topping for ediee
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone and JoAnne58 for your very helpful suggestions. I finally made bookings using priceline--would never have thought to do so without your inputs!

Adrienne