Boston Hotel/resturants

Search

Boston Hotel/resturants

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Sharon

Boston Hotel/resturants

Will be coming to Boston in June.
Have reservations at the Wyndum Tremont.
Haven't read about any one staying there.
Will I be disappointed in the location?
Is is convienient (commuting to trains, tourist things?)
Any feed back would be appreciated.
Also, seafood is on the menu of order with our group. Experience has shown me that the locals know where the great resturants are and they don't necessarily have the tourist prices. Any good suggestions?
Thanks
Sharon

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Carrie

The Daily Catch on Hanover Street in the North End looks like a hole in the wall, the wine is served in Dixie cups, and you might have to wait on the sidewalk for half an hour, but it's phenomenal seafood and pasta. I've lived in Boston for 6 years and it's the best in the city.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Ted

Sounds like there are lots of great restaurants on Hanover Street. Where is it? Convenient to public transportation?

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:25 AM
sandy

Hanover Street is in the North End of Boston, the neighborhood in the city best known for it's Italian heritage. Home to many wonderful restaurants, bakeries, cafes etc.

Although there is no "T" stop in the North End itself, there are several very close by, Haymarket and North Station to name 2. The North End is in walking distance to the Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market/Governmat Center areas of the city.

Haven't heard much about the Wyndham. Is located downtown, so location is fine. Only comment I ever heard was from business associates that complained the rooms were tiny. Other than that- I haven't heard much of anything good, bad or indifferent.

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Kate

We stayed there a couple of months ago and it wasn't our greatest hotel experience. On check in I asked if they had a map showing the location of the hotel - most hotels do this for you and circle the hotel and have a bit of a chat. I was handed a Where magazine, no conversation, nothing - just an apathetic look. There was no line waiting behind us, so it's not like we were holding things up.
It was the weekend of the marathon, it was really hot, and they hadn't turned on the air conditioning for the season, so we sweltered through the first night. Had the windown open but it was incredibly noisy - and we live in NY on a pretty busy street, so that's saying something. There was a bar somewhere, couldn't figure out exactly where, but the noise eventually died down around 4am. Some law school was having a function that night and the fire alarms went off for about an hour or so, starting around 1am. Fire engines came and went - no explanation from the staff. Apparently they made an announcement that everything was alright - but it wasn't played on our floor.
Next night the air conditioning had been turned on, so could shut the windows, which definitely can't be double glazed. Woke to our bedside alarm, set for 5.45am, by the eager cleaning staff, ready to boot us out I presume. Our friends down the hall had the same thing happen.
On check out when the manager asked if we'd had a pleasant stay we told him not really and he was quite apologetic but didn't sound terribly surprised and deducted one night's stay.
So I don't know if we just had a bad experience or this is the norm. On a more positive note, yes the rooms were small but nicely furnished, if you like the circus. Must have been recently renovated. Great location. Close to theatres and a couple of minutes walk to the common.
We ate at Legal Sea Foods on the wharf, which was great and the service is well intentioned but they really rush you, even when it's not that busy. Sonsie on Newbury St was pretty good and the Beacon Hill Bistro on Charles St was fantastic - wonderful food and service. So good we went back for breakfast the next day. Just a tip - it's nearly impossible to get breakfast on Newbury St before 11am on a Sunday. Not sure why - there were heaps of hungry people like us desperately looking for food! Hope this helps and I wasn't too harsh on the Wyndham.

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:01 PM
Deed

Is there a better alternative to the Wyndham Tremont? Need 5 nights in June near or at the Wyndham Tremont. Don't know very much about the area. Help!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:48 AM
Leslie

Try the Radisson, which is a couple of blocks away. The Wyndham Tremont is the second closest hotel to the New England Medical Center, and its right in the heart of the theatre district which may be some of the reasons for the excessive noise that was mentioned.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:01 PM
Deirdre Seiler

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to get the best rate at the Wyndham Tremont Boston or the Radisson Boston. I'm from Canada, and our dollar sure doesn't go very far at Boston prices!

Thanks

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:55 AM
Rae in UK

Sharon/Leslie/Deidre

I've stayed at both the Tremont and the Radisson. Both are OK tourist class hotels in good locations for visiting all that Boston has to offer.

The rooms in the Radisson are much bigger than the Tremont, although the furnishings/bathrooms in the Tremont are a little nicer - swings and roundabouts!

I liked the service at the Radisson - very friendly and helpful during out visit. Tremont check-in is as indifferent as it comes but room service was excellent.

Expedia and Quikbook both have deals on these hotels but I find the way to get the best rates is to ring the hotel direct and ask for their best deals. You can often get a suite for the price of a standard room (the Suites at the tremont are very nice)

We enjoyed out meal at Legal's but as a previous poster noted, it was rushed.

Good luck with your choices.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:21 AM
Kris

Rae - okay I just have to know - what are "swings and roundabouts"?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:28 AM
Jen

"Swings and roundabouts" sounds like playground equipment!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:47 PM
Deirdre

Which area is the Wyndham Tremont in? What are some other hotels of the same or better quality that are within walking distance of the Wyndham Tremont?

Old May 24th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Leslie

Within a 5 minute walk of the Wyndham Tremont is The Guest Quarters Downtown (its in the heart of the New England Medical Center) and the Radisson on Stuart Street.

Old May 24th, 2002, 03:41 AM
Rae in UK

Kris/Jen

Apologies for the delay (I'm on UK time!)

Swings and Roundabouts - yes, its children's play ground equipment. I suppose it must be a british way of saying "horses for courses"..or .."take your pick" (between either)

I didn't mean that there literally were swings and roundabouts in the guest rooms (although if you're travelling with children that may be fun!)

Does that make sense? Hope so!

Old May 24th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Suzy

Rae, thanks for the explanation. I think some of us were confused by your sentence structure and thought the "swings and roundabouts" comment applied to the bathrooms at the Tremont.

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Rae

Suzy - I see what you mean!

PS - there wouldn't be room for a swing or a roundabout in the Tremont's bathrooms...!!

Old May 26th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Deirdre

Thanks Leslie and Rae for hotel info. Still not sure which hotel near the Wyndham Tremont would be good. I'm looking for my brother who will be in Boston on business in June. He said near or at the Wyndham Tremont. None of the posts I've read really rave about the Tremont and I'd like to find him a really nice place at a decent price (if there is such a place in Boston!) All this needs to be near the Tremont. Leslie, you mentioned The Guest Quarters but you didn't elaborate. Would this be good? I've heard the Radisson is a little lower end than the Tremont. Is this true?
Appreciate all your help. Thanks

Old May 26th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Leslie

The Radisson is a decent hotel. It's well located, across the street from the Transportation Building (it's an office building), and across the street from the Four Seasons Hotel. The hotel is constantly being remodeled, and has only been a Radisson for about 5 years or so. I stayed there many years ago, and the rooms are a very good size. Also, one of the good things about the hotel is that the parking garage is on levels above ground, but beneath the hotel, so being higher up kind of cuts down on the street noise. I haven't been in the new Guest Quarters yet, but the location is in the center of the New England Medical Center. I've been told that the windows are thermapane, which would eliminate any noise from ambulances. It's probably a 10 minute walk from the Radisson, with the Wyndham Tremont in the middle of the 2 hotels.

Old May 27th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Donna

"Guest Quarters" is the Doubletree on Washington Street (not to be confused with the one on Soldiers Field Road - "Guest Suites - or Mount Vernon St.), which is one block east from the Tremont. We used to stay at the Wyndham Tremont frequently, but gave up on the place due to ridiculous rates for compact rooms with showers only and horrendous service. The Doubletree on Washington St.is just fine. Brand new, nice rooms and bathrooms. We've stayed there through Hotwire.com.

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Deirdre

Thanks Donna and Leslie. I'll pass along the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -