Boston hotel near BU

Search

Boston hotel near BU

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston hotel near BU

I usually stay at a very nice hotel near BU but for graduation, that hotel has doubled it's price and all others are pretty exp. too that I've checked so am wondering if any of you know a reasonable but decent hotel near the campus or Copley Sq/Back Bay area?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 08:21 AM
yk

The most convenient and decent hotel near BU campus (assuming you mean the main campus), is the Commonwealth Hotel at Kenmore Sq.

Otherwise, any of the hotels in Copley area would do, as long as you don't mind a short ride on the Green Line B train. There are dozens of hotels in the Copley area:
Marriott, Hilton, Westin, Sheraton, Copley Sq Hotel, Fairmont, Colonnade, Lenox, Mandarin Oriental, Charlesmark Hotel ...

Another option would be to stay in Brookline near Coolidge Corner. There's a Courtyard Marriott and a Holiday Inn; plus several B&Bs. If you can walk, it's only 1 mile from Coolidge Corner to BU's Nickerson Field, where commencement is held. You can also take the T, but it involves taking the C line inbound to Kenmore, then switch for the B line outbound.

Finally, the HOtel Buckminster is located right at Kenmore Sq, very close to Hotel Commonwealth. However, I don't know what the quality is, and you should check all reviews before booking it.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks and the CH is where I usually stay but I hadn't thought about Brookline so will check out those hotels.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM
cw

There's also a Courtyard Marriott on Exeter St., right near Copley Square and across the street from the regular Marriott, though I would think the Brookline one might be less expensive. Also, the Back Bay Hotel (formerly Jury's) isn't too far from Copley Square either.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thx, Courtyard in Brookline is already sold out and there are plenty of other available hotels, just exp for grad. weekend.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 09:07 AM
yk

Unfortunately, graduation weekend(s) is probably one of the most expensive times for hotel rates in Boston, with tens of thousands of parents and relatives descending on Boston. I'd recommend making a cancellable reservation for *somewhere*. You can always cancel it later if you find a cheaper rate elsewhere. Good luck!
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I've done that and some relatives may stay at the Crosstown center area which doesn't seem too close but it's more reasonable.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM

crosstown center?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM
yk

moremiles, do you mean the Hampton Inn Crosstown Center?

I would not recommend it, unless you and your relatives have stayed there before and are familiar with the area.

There is another Hampton Inn in Cambridge, within walking distance to the green Line Lechmere station. I'd recommend that one WAY over the "crosstown center" Hampton Inn.

Have you checked John Hancock Confernece hotel? Or the John Jeffries B&B?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM
cw

Maybe moremiles means Downtown Crossing.

Actually staying where you have access to the Green Line will be convenient for you. Just a few extra stops on the subway/trolley.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM

I am once again going to suggest Priceline, but it is probably way too early to try it for that weekend. I got the Sheraton behind the Pru one graduation weekend for about twice what I would have paid on Priceline for an ordinary weekend but about half what I would have paid rack rate at most of the Copley-Prudential hotels.

Have you tried the Holiday Inn on Beacon in Brookline? Easy walking distance to Coolidge Corner for restaurants. From Brookline, you can take the C train to St Mary's, (where there are lots of good restaurants) then walk about three blocks to Comm Ave right at the bridge to Cambridge.

How about something in the Longwood-Medical area? From Longwood, you would probably a D car on the west side or an E trolley down Huntington on the east side, both going to Arlington for a free cross over, then come back outbound on a B train.

If you are talking about the Hampton Inn at Melnea Cass and Mass Ave, I would not recommend staying there unless you have someone in the hospital at Boston City. There are buses on Mass Ave, but it is not near any rapid transit, and none of the places you want to go to will be accessible by car on graduation days, i.e., you won't be able to find anywhere to park.

One possibility would be to stay at the airport and take the T or water shuttle in. Or hire a limo. If you bid 4 star on Priceline in the airport zone, you will get either the Hyatt (good views on the Harbor Side) or the Hilton, although check betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com for the latest.

There is a nice small Hilton in Dedham at Rte 128(I95) with good access to commuter rail, but I don't know the schedules outside commuting hours.

Whatever you do, be glad you are starting now. This forum will be filled with gnashing of teeth come February.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

I believe their hotel is in the Longwood-Medical area so is that terribly inconvenient or a bad neighborhood? I will check that Holiday Inn in Brookline and the B&B mentioned-thanks!
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

The Holiday Inn in Brookline is going to be $400/nt also-will keep looking!
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
yk

moremiles - which hotel are you referring to exactly? If you're asking about the Hampton Inn Crosstown Center (@ corner of Melnea Cass & Mass Ave, as Ackislander mentioned above), then NO, it's not at Longwood medical area. That Hampton Inn is near the BU Medical Center; not a pretty part of town and not an area I'd want to be in at night.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

I will check and if so, insist on a change. I just checked out J.Hancock and it's very reasonable but a two star hotel-how is it? The location is great.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

I believe it's the Hampton Inn on Mass. Ave near Boston Med. Center-not good?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 01:56 PM
yk

I repeat - the Hampton Inn on Mass Ave is not an area I'd want to be in at night; and not an area I'd recommend any of my out-of-town family or friends to stay in, unless they are going for treatment at the Boston Medical Center.

Did you check the other Hampton Inn I suggested earlier? The one in Cambridge on O'Brien Highway? It's a much better location and you/they can take the Green Line to BU.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I will check into that Hampton Inn and what about the Radisson on Stuart St? Is that a decent neighborhood? I've already sent an email to my SIL about changing her booking. Thanks.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 02:51 PM
cw

The John Hancock is a conference center. It is a great location, right near the Hancock Tower and Trinity Church in Copley Square. I don't think it has a real restaurant nor a bar but you're in the middle of Back Bay and all the restaurants there. So it's a room in a perfect location. If the price is right, take it. Don't even give it a second thought.

I ran a conference there years ago and everyone was delighted with the hotel and the price. It is clean and safe--no frills like the swimming pool, spas, restaurants, and bars, like all the hotels around you. One of the best locations in Boston.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 03:14 PM
yk

Radisson on Stuart St is totally fine. It's right in the heart of theatre district, with hundreds of restaurants to choose from in the area, and just one block from the Green Line Boylston St station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -