Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston Hotel - Hyatt in September (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-hotel-hyatt-in-september-438362/)

BettyBoop Jun 2nd, 2004 06:10 PM

Boston Hotel - Hyatt in September

Travelling to Boston in September 2004. Plan to use Priceline for a hotel. Recently the Hyatt Financial District has been accepting $40 per night bids, so I figure I'll bid downtown. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I've read reviews on trip advisor and bidding for travel; mostly favorable. Just looking to increase my comfort zone.

cigalechanta Jun 2nd, 2004 06:48 PM

Betty, living here, I canot advise about quality of a room in any hotel, but the financial district is dead at night. You are better off to stay in the back bay.

Gekko Jun 2nd, 2004 07:08 PM

Just stayed there last week for business. Fine hotel, typical Hyatt. While I prefer the Back Bay, the Hyatt is close to Tremont Street and plenty of action -- in other words it's not particularly a "dead" area at night.

And $40?? You can't beat that. (Although if you're driving, parking at the Hyatt is very expensive, so be aware.)

milemarker0 Jun 3rd, 2004 07:16 AM

I stay there alot with the $40 special...love it. A little "quiet" at night but not totally dead. A short walk or T-Ride and there's more going on.

Dan Jun 3rd, 2004 07:51 AM

Stayed last year when it was still the Swissotel. Nice enough hotel, okay neighborhood. Price is certainly right! I think I paid $70 or so via Priceline and was pleased with it.

lvitaly Jun 3rd, 2004 09:28 AM

On Priceline is this considered a 3 star hotel? I have tried for a four star without success.I am also booking for Sept.

milemarker0 Jun 3rd, 2004 10:35 AM

Priceline rates the Hyatt as a 4*

patsfan Jun 3rd, 2004 12:03 PM

40 bucks is a great deal we stayed there a few months back. It is very close to Chinatown with all of ite restuarants & Downtown Crossing with all of its shopping.We go to Boston 4 or 5 times a year and our family loves that location because it's close to everything we want

BettyBoop Jun 3rd, 2004 04:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll look at my calendar and then bid. I'll let you know if I'm successful. As part of my trip I also plan to go to Providence to visit my niece at Brown.

Ivitaly - Look in biddingfortravel.com for specifics, and yes Priceline lists the property as a 4*.

Anonymous Jun 4th, 2004 02:45 AM

Betty, you might already know this, but since you're bargain-minded, I'll mention it: On weekdays, the cheapest way to get from Boston to Providence is via the Commuter Rail trains; much cheaper than Amtrak or renting a car, and Brown isn't far from the train station. You can get map, schedules, etc. at www.mbta.com.

BettyBoop Jun 7th, 2004 04:43 PM

I got the Hyatt Harborside - Airport for $50/night. Would have rather been in downtown, but the price is right. I probably could have waited and rebid over the next few weeks but I'm glad to have my lodgings firmed up.

Thanks for the advice about taking the train to Providence. Now that my hotel is set, I'll figure out my itinerary. I hope to drive in Maine, my aunt says it is beautiful, during my visit. If time doesn't permit I'll just have to plan another trip.

SloJan Jul 5th, 2004 10:33 PM

Darn, I wish I had never read this thread! I booked this hotel through Priceline (last minute type thing) and bid a whopping $90 :'( Oh well. That is what happens when you wait until the last minute and are inexperienced.

Glad to hear that the area is OK!
Cheers,
Jan