Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston Freedom Trail (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-freedom-trail-1117584/)

traveler2005 Jul 10th, 2016 10:34 AM

Boston Freedom Trail

We are visiting Boston with friends this summer. We would like to do the Freedom Trail. I am done it before, but it probably have been 15 years ago so my memory is fuzzy and the details may have changed anyway.

When we did it, we just followed the trail and read comments in the AAA book. I see that there are tours offered by the National Park Service and think that might be a more interesting way to do it.

Here is my question - the AAA book says that they cap the tours at 30 people and only give one an hour for limited hours. I wonder what the chances are of us actually getting on a tour.

I wonder whether we should do a tour on our own, try to get on the NPS tour, or do a commercial tour. I am trying to figure this out in advance because there are groupons on the commercial tours.

I also wonder how much time we should allow for the trail. If we were on our own, I think we would be in the middle of time-takers - we'd be interested enough to read signs or a flyer, but wouldn't need to tarry over every word. I suppose looking at the time allowed for the NPS tour or the commercial tour could give us a general idea.

sassy_cat Jul 10th, 2016 11:33 AM

I've never taken a commercial tour but have toured the Freedom trail myself several times including 2 school trips (accompanying 5th graders).

I prefer self tours and provided you have read up on a few details I think you will enjoy this more (30 people sounds like a lot to me as I'd prefer a much smaller group of 10 or less).

Ask your friends if they enjoy narrated tours as that would be the determining factor for me. How long it takes depends on your interest and stops ..stopping for ice-cream / cannolis is always fun ;)

cw Jul 10th, 2016 11:33 AM

I'd call the Park Service and ask if their tours fill up. I suppose they can at busy times. They also have an app for the trail. They only cover part of the trail.

You could identify the spots that interest you, and take a tour of the building. Old North Church, Revere House, etc. and walk the trail yourselves.

Also check tours by Boston by Foot. The guides are excellent. www.bostonbyfoot.org.

The whole trail is 2 1/2 miles so you can easily spend up to a day, with detours, lunch, and snack stops. It all depends on your level of interest.

scdreamer Jul 10th, 2016 02:26 PM

We did the Park Service's Bunker Hill tour a couple years ago - on the spur of the moment in late September. We had been walking the Freedom Trail, and just kind of wandered upon the tour - it was fun and informative.

Joy2 Jul 20th, 2016 05:39 AM

I used City View Trolley. I'm not sure what the price is but it was a great way to see the city.

traveler2005 Aug 14th, 2016 08:47 AM

Follow-up -

We bought a group-on for the CityView Trolley which came with a free harbor tour.

We were pleased with it. With the group-on, we had to use our vouchers at a trolley stop near the harbor. We took the trolley as far as the Boston Commons and then got off and walked part of the Freedom Trail. We eventually got back on the trolley and rode it to the harbor for the harbor tour.

Both of our trolley drivers were engaging - full of interesting stories.

HappyTrvlr Aug 14th, 2016 09:45 AM

You do not need an organized tour. We have sone this many rimes, follow the red brick line in the pavement.
Best Freedom Trail tour help is to download the App on your phone:NPS Boston. Click on Tours, then Freedom Trail. Even has an Freedom Trail Highlights tour that takes less time. The historic places you'll see are listed, info on them. The National Park HQ in Faneuil Hall recommended the app to us when we went to them for a Freedom Trail map to give our guests. Highly recommend it.
Do the Freedom Trail in the morning. End in the North End at lunchtime ( we love Saraceno's, Hanover St.)) and enjoy a meal there in Boston's Little Italy. For dessert, buy a cannoli from Mike's Pastry on Hanover Street.