Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston/Fitchburg day trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-fitchburg-day-trips-46262/)

Kathy Jun 12th, 1999 09:33 PM

Boston/Fitchburg day trips

Well,now that I have my lodgings squared away I can concentrate on planning my site-seeing. My husband will be attending a dog show in Fitchburg, Massachusetts,and the kids and I get to tour around while he's busy. We will rent a car in Boston and drive to Fburg on Wed. so we will have wheels. Any suggestions on where to go? We're from Oklahoma and the kids are 8 and 11years old. For me, just seeing all the history would be enough, but I don't really know how long it will satisfy the kids. <BR> Thank's for any ideas that you folks can give. Donna? Any suggestions?

Donna F Jun 13th, 1999 03:55 AM

Hi from a different Donna. If you want history: head to Sturbridge Village and/or Salem MA. The Salem witch displays are a little spooky, even for an adult. Sturbridge is wonderful for kids to see how things were done in the "olden days". Since you come from OK I would also try to include a boat ride. There are some good ones out of Portsmouth NH where you could also visit Strawbery Banke, another historical village. But you should also see the USS Constitution in Boston. The Museum of Science is great and I've heard the Duck Tours are great fun. Don't do anything you can do at home. It would be a long drive to NH mountains. What would the kids like to see? Maybe they would like to play in the ocean waves for a bit and someone will recommend a good visitors beach. It's too cold right now for swimming in the ocean. If you're outdoorsy, maybe you would like to try a canoe trip. There are several rental places in the Concord NH area. You should probably also visit the Boston Aquarium or for a Odiorne Point outside Portsmouth NH (a small, hands-on ocean science center). I would also take the kids on a subway if you visit Boston. Park the car someplace on the outskirts and use public transportation. There are plenty of adults who have never been on a subway or train. I think it is a good idea to teach kids how to use public transportation. Besides, you do NOT want to drive in downtown Boston. The streets are too confusing and there's no place to park. There are plenty of people in Boston who live there and don't own cars. I don't think midwestern cities have a big downtown residential population so it has always surprised me how quiet a city can be on a Sat whereas Boston is always crowded. Have a great time! I commend you on your adventurous spirit. <BR>

Howard Jun 13th, 1999 05:55 AM

In addition to the previous suggestions, you should walk the Freedom Trail in Boston, an easy self-guided walking tour in the central area. Also take in a Red Sox game at historic Fenway Park. <BR>Sutrbridge Village is something your children will enjoy, but it's about a two-hour drive from Boston (and the opposite direction of Fitchburg). When you are in Fitchburg, you'll be close to the New Hampshire line, so you can take in that beautiful state easily.

Donna Jun 13th, 1999 06:27 AM

When are you going? How long are you staying?

Kathy Jun 13th, 1999 03:21 PM

Actually my trip starts in NYC on Oct 1, take train to Boston on Oct. 4. Tour Boston then rent car on Wed Oct. 6. Drive to Fitchburg on Wed. The dog show is Thurs, Fri, and Sat, so we have that much tour time before flying out of boston on Sunday. This may explain the intro to my initial post "lodgings squared away". My daughter has informed me that she must at least get real close to the ocean if she can't swim in it due to weather etc. Thanks for your comments. Hopefully this info will help narrow down the must-sees.

Beth Jun 14th, 1999 07:21 AM

Although Fitchburg is not far from the New Hampshire border, its still a pretty long trip to go to the mountains for the day. The suggestion of Sturbridge is a good one, I think that would only be about an hour. Your daughter can see the ocean from Boston harbor. But I highly recommend taking a harbor cruise or a whalewatch if they are still running in October. Bring warm clothes if you are going to go out on the Ocean. Once you are in Fitchburg you are really in the middle of the state and it will take a minimum of 90 minutes to get back to the ocean. Although if you are up for that kind of driving, you could go down to Newport for the day. The mansions are gorgeous, and you can walk along the cliffs and see the ocean below (its a safe, wide sidewalk, the kids would be fine). <BR> <BR>Some closer ideas... the Higgins Armoury in Worcester is pretty cool, and usually has some interesting kids programs. It will be foliage season, so you might enjoy going to Mt Wachusett. You can drive to the top, hike to the top, or ride the ski lift if its operating. If your kids like nature and walks, but you want something a little tamer, try the Wachusett Meadows Mass Audobon preserve. <BR> <BR>By the way, the best Italian food in Fitchburg is "Al Forno" restaurant. There's often a wait for a table, they take no reservations, and they have no liquor license so BYO, but the food is great.

Donna Jun 14th, 1999 02:59 PM

While in Boston, I highly recommend the Duck Tours (see the website for info on getting tickets - it's very popular), the Freedom Trail and the Aquarium. As someone mentioned, Fitchburg is a ways from the ocean, but if you don't mind driving, there are lots of terrific day trips. Portsmouth, NH (80 miles, 1-1/2 hours) is a lovely seaport town with lots of places to enjoy seafood by the water. For history, there are many historical homes which offer tours and there's Strawbery Banke (an assortment of homes representing all periods). Plymouth, MA (90 miles, 1-3/4 hours) on the eastern shore is home of Plymouth Rock, the Mayflower II (replica, you can climb aboard), a wonderful wax museum (depicting the plans to cross, the crossing, arrival...), Plimouth Plantation (replica of the first settlement) and the Ocean Spray Cranberry Factory. Salem, MA (60 miles, 1-1/4 hours)(home of witch history, but much, much more) is also a gorgeous seaport town with lots of historical sights and attractions and an excellent trolley tour. All of these places are wonderful destinations. Depends upon your kids' interests. HOWEVER, because the foliage will be positively splendid at this time of year, you may want to consider the following: From Fitchburg head north to Route 2 and take this west (Mowhawk Trail) to Williamstown. Along the way, you'll want to stop at "hairpin curve" to take in the stunning views. Then, head south through Lenox and on to Stockbridge (a town with no fast food joints, traffic lights, etc.). If you are a Norman Rockwell affectionado, the museum is fabulous. Or, from Williamstown, you could head north to Bennington, VT and take Route 9 East over to I-91 South. Either way, there are lots of villages, craft shops, pumpkins and apple cider along the way - and spectacular foliage. There's a terrific tour guide called "Massachussets, An Explorer's Guide" with everything imaginable about visiting MA (exclusing Boston and Cape Cod). You might want to pick up a copy and see what most appeals to you and the kids. All of these destinations have websites and excellent visitor's bureaus (which will mail terrific tourist literature - especially Salem, MA). As, for Old Sturbridge Village - this is very well done, and I took my son there when he was about 9 to give him a look at life before microwaves, computers, TV, and rap music. But, he missed the point and was completely bored. (Said, "You know, Mom, it's okay 'cause I might get the idea when I'm older.")

Beth Jun 15th, 1999 06:06 AM

Just a teeny correction to Donna's posting above, which has many wonderful suggestions (I particularly wish I'd thought to suggest Portsmouth. its a great location, and not a bad drive). Anywasy, Fitchburg is almost entirely located north of route 2, so you head south to get there. <BR> <BR>Another thing you might want to know, is there is a very small amusement park in Fitchburg called Whalom Park. Its really not got much in it, (frankly I've never gone), but its open into the evenings, and might be a good way to entertain your kids for a couple hours.

Donna Jun 15th, 1999 04:12 PM

Thanks for the correction! Sorry...

Kathy Jun 15th, 1999 04:18 PM

Thanks for all these great ideas. I'll certainly look into the "Exploring.." book too, as suggested. I still have time to make my plans, so if anyone has any other ideas/favorite places I would love to hear about them. Also, I remember visiting a place called Mystic back in my college days (so I can barely remember it!). It was a seaport town and I really enjoyed it. Are any of the places that were mentioned similar to that? Thanks!

Ralph Jun 15th, 1999 08:34 PM

Oh, Puleeze! Folks like YOU are contributing to the "bad attitude" on this forum! It's not ENOUGH that several folks provide valuable "insider" suggestions - on top of what you might find in any tour guide, should you care to actually locate and purchase one - not to mention READ it. Fitchburgh, MA is pretty much in the middle of NOwhere, MA. Yet, you have received excellent suggestions. So, if you have a BETTER IDEA, such as MYSTIC, where anyone in the "know" would, if they were so well inclined, advise is overpriced, overpromoted, and overhyped, tell you to AVOID. Well, whatever...But, what you want is "MORE!". Shame on YOU! I'd bet everyone who's responded is very sorry for having bothered! If you're not really interested in suggestions and recommendations, and have another idea entirely - PLEASE, oh PLEASE, don't BOTHER us!

Howard Jun 16th, 1999 05:04 AM

Wha's with the previous poster? Have I missed something?

Beth Jun 16th, 1999 07:35 AM

I don't know Howard, I must have missed something too. I'm not sure what set that off. It's true that Fitchburg is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. But its also true that its about 10 miles from my home, so I guess I live in "nowheresville MA". Should I take offense?? <BR> <BR>Kathy, Mystic Seaport is in Connecticut and is a charming, if somewhat touristy location. They do have an interesting whaling museum and a great Aquarium. I don't think any of the places mentioned are really quite like that. IF you want to visit another quaint seaport town, you might consider Rockport MA, or Marblehead although if you read the earlier posting,Rockports gotten a bit over-touristy too. <BR> <BR>And please go ahead and ask furthur questions. I don't think you are causing any "attitude" problems on this forum, in spite of earlier rantings.

Kathy Jun 16th, 1999 05:11 PM

Ralph, So sorry to have offended you. If you feel so put upon by my previous post, then I guess that you can just keep on scrolling past my message from now on. <BR> <BR>Everyone Else, Thanks again for all the great suggestions. With the little traveling that I do, it's hard to know just how much of the tour book info to believe, so it's great to get first hand info from people who live around where I'm going. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Linda Jun 17th, 1999 04:06 PM

We drove up to Maine for the day & saw lighthouses, beautiful coastline & shopped in Freeport at the L.L.Bean store & other outlets. Another day we went to Martha's Vineyard, Newport R.I. and back.

Cathy Jul 13th, 1999 08:00 AM

Go to Lowell National Park. It has all sorts of museums, including restored mills, the American Textile museum, quilt museum and sports museum. Great canal tours, trolley rides; also with large SE asian and greek population, great Cambodian and Greek restaurant. <BR> <BR>On Friday/Saturday nights, GREAT concerts at the National Park--outdoors for only $5 per person.

sara Jul 13th, 1999 01:03 PM

Here's a suggestion for something kind of different that you and your kids might enjoy. There's a place in Sterling, MA (quite near Fitchburg) called Davis Megamaze that is a 14 acre field of sorghum (Which is quite high, you can't see over it) with a giant maze all through it. There are over 3 miles of trails through the maze, with bridges over it at several points so you can get a birds eye view, and speaking tubes located at various points so you can get help if you feel too lost. It's supposed to open sometime in July (I guess when the sorghum gets high enough). My kids and I went through it last year and thought it was really neat - you could easily spend a couple of hours there. They also have a snack bar and picnic area. They have a web page at www.davisfarmland.com if you want to check it out. <BR>If you're into history, you could pay a visit to Concord, that's not too far from Fitchburg. Besides the museum and historical sites, it's charming and has lots of neat shops, including a great toy store. You could rent a canoe from the South Bridge Boat House and go out on the river for a couple of hours, it's a fun outing, very pretty but safe - the river's not all that wide & has very little current. You can paddle down to the Old North Bridge and see where "the shot heard round the world" was fired. Whatever you decide to do, have fun and enjoy your New England visit!