Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

BOSTON --Democratic National Convention, July 26 - 29, 2004 -- city will be hectic !

Search

BOSTON --Democratic National Convention, July 26 - 29, 2004 -- city will be hectic !

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2004, 08:02 AM
JBX
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>
The Democratic National Convention will be held in Boston this summer from July 26 to July 29, 2004 at the Fleet Center. Website is http://www.boston04.com/home.asp. As per one of the other travel forums I frequent, the DNCC has booked most of the hotel rooms in the city. They have also booked several university housing sites. The Convention starts on July 26th, however many support people will be arriving earlier, a week or so before. Add security measures that will be implemented in the city and you may want to rethink a trip to Boston during this time period.

Old May 18th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Living in Boston and following the press coverage (subway & highway closures etc.), I have to suggest that "paralyzed" might be a better description rather than "hectic".

My daughter works in the North End, in a bulding that doesn't even have a view of the Fleet Center, yet she and all her co-workers must get an FBI security clearance in order to enter the bulding and of course having clients in for meetings that week is out of the question. When she asked to take vacation days, she was told that too many people had already spoken up, there had to be a core staff in the office that week. With any luck, she'll fail the clearance process!

In addition to JBX's comment on conventioneers arriving early to prepare for the conference, we can assume that many of them will stick around for a few days of R&R in the area after it ends.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:00 AM
JBX
Original Poster

Thanks for additional insider info, Anonymous. Also read that a portion of I-93 will be closed on Convention days, however don't have details. Any other local residents ?
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:07 AM

This post is moot since there are no rooms available July 26-29 anyway......
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Portions of I93 North and South will be closed for the evening rush hour as will Storrow Drive. The commuter train lines are also effected as they will not be allowed to come into the Fleet Center. I work 1/2 block from there and no one has talked about the need for security here. Most everyone I know is taking the week off--it'll be too hard to get out of town.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Some of the gory details: Yes, indeed, I-93, which goes thru the center of the city, will be closed. The news last week was that the highway closure would have to begin at 4 PM (yes, the height of "rush hour") each day. And the Orange Line and Green Line subway stops at North Station (across from the Fleet Center) will be closed -- IIRC, the trains will just skip the station for one line, while there will be buses for the other one. North Station is also a terminus for many of the Commuter Rail lines. What a mess!
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:18 AM

The issue isn't moot, there are still hotels in outlying areas; check the recent long thread about the famly of 5 who has Red Sox tickets and who's going to be based in Marlborough. Or maybe Burlington. Or Braintree. Visiting will be that much tougher for visitors who are staying in the burbs and trying to get into the city.
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Husband works across street from Fleet Center - building is considered in security zone. They are advising people to work from home, take vacation. Another problem with I93 being closed is that means of public transportation from north of city will be impacted - as they are talking about closing North Station (commuter rail and MBTA).

Several people here have also suggested that local vacation spots may be over-booked that week (CApe Cod, Southern Maine) - something I had not thought about, but makes sense.

Maybe we will all be plesantly surprised and things will be fine - but in a city where a minor rain shower or an inch of snow can create 2-3 hour commutes, I doubt it.
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Hey...Parrot Mom lives in Marlboro...there is no problem getting into Fenway Park, they can get off right from the Turnpike..lol.. Frankly, if I worked in Boston I'd take off on a cruise or anywhere not to deal with the traffic mess. On the other hand I think it'ls going to be an exciting time for the City of Boston. Many people I've met would never think of coming to Boston but when they did the comments were interesting..it's walkable, no grafitti (never thought of that) and clean..Hey let's give ourselves a hand over that.. I understand though hotel rooms in the Rout 495 area, i.e. Marlboro are pretty booked too..As long as people are here they may want to go to Maine or Cape Cod when the convention is over.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:44 AM

My husband and daughter have tickets to the Red Sox/Yankees game on Sunday, July 25. We just found out that the game time has changed from 2 pm to be an evening game. They now need to stay overnight in the area, and of course all rooms are sold out. We finally found a room in Waltham...

However, after reading through these threads, it seems there may still be some issues. My husband prefers to park at the Prudential garage (they will be having an early dinner nearby). According to comments here, there may be difficulty obtaining parking spaces in certain locations. I checked the Pru's garage website, and there is no info concerning spots during that evening. Does anyone know how to determine if they will be able to park there for the game time? Any recommendations for another garage that would be convenient to getting out of the city (going towards Waltham)after the late game?

Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:03 AM

My guess would be that regular garage spaces will be unavailable, and they'd be better-off parking closer to Fenway Park, in the spaces that are usually active only during games.

The traffic plans for downtown include eliminating some on-street parking spaces in the Back Bay area that are usually available for visitors and residents, as well as closings of garages closer to the Fleet Center, so other garages, such as Prudential, will experience extra demand quite apart from the Yankees games.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Seeing that Kerry plans to postpone accepting the nomination, this will be a big party rather than a convention. Leave it to Boston and the DNC to screw it up and inconvenience everyone.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:30 AM

The regional security and traffic plans, such as the closings of highways and train stations, have been put in place by our Republican governor, not by the DNC.

I agree that Kerry's plan to postpone his acceptance is dismaying -- too bad the Dems didn't realize sooner what an advantage it would beto the Rpublicans to have their convention/official nomination a month later.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Kerry voted for this campaign finance reform. he knew what it was all about. Romney wanted the convention in south Boston.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:44 AM

Not clear how much input Kerry had into the selection of the convention date!

And Romney's suggestion of Southie was made at the last minute, he knew it wasn't feasible.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:01 AM

I never mentioned the date. The finance reform that kerry voted for means once he accepts the nomination,no more public funds. Once again, straddling both sides of the issues
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info, Anonymous.