Confused first timer

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused first timer

First time in Alaska and we are going for 7 days. JUst wondering what would be our best option. We are arriving late thurs in sept and will spend the first night in ANC for sure. Now here comes the hard part. Should we go ahead and book 2 nights in Anc and spend the rest of the week in Seward/Homer and spend the last nite in ANC before our flight? or should we book one night in ANC and spend the week in Seward and book the last 2 NIGHTS in ANC to enjoy before our flight? We just want to do basic tourist stuff and spend most of our time in the outdoors including flightseeing over MT MCkinely.

Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:54 PM

A lot depends on the time you depart Anchorage. I'd try not to spend more than two nights there.

With a week, I'd spend arrival night in Anchorage and then head to Homer for two nights and Seward. This is where flight time comes in: if you have a morning departure, spend one night in Seward. If it's an afteroon or evening, spend two.

After leaving Seward, head to Talkeetna for flightseeing, spending the night and returning the next day to Anchorage. The difference is -- if you spent one night in Seward and leave ANC in the a.m., you'd have a night in ANC before leaving. If it's a later flight, just drive down from Talkeetna on the day of the flight.

It's a lot of driving. If it this is a concern, consider dropping the Homer segment. I hope this makes sense, it's almost 3 a.m. and I'm a bit hazy.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:27 AM

The above is just excellent advice. I too would definately split up your Kenai Peninsula time between Homer and Seward. BUT a great deal depends also when in Sept. If late, this goes into the "shoulder" season for wildlife with the sea birds gone etc. McMckinley flightseeing is tops out of Talkeetna, but be aware of the different flight options. There is a big difference in summit views and summit flights. With my preference for the latter.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

We are arriving in ANC almost midnite so we will stay the night for sure and leaving at 8:50pm on the last nite.
The dates we will be there are 9/8 - 9/15.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

I don't have any problems driving. I always drive alot on my vacations. What would be the better option for us as for as hiking, wildlife, bear viewing,boat tours and spending time in nature? Spend 2 nights in Seward and 3 nights in Homer or the other way around? I don't care for the touristy stuff.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:39 AM

Boat tours are out of Homer, Seward and Whittier. All different. You will NEED tours for wildlife with Denali Park the best bargain. If you want bears eating salmon- then fly out of Homer on one of their tours. Both Seward and Homer have plenty to occupy your time, request their visitor guide for more information, then plan your stay based on your preferences.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Tantuti - as you are truly a "first timer" (as far as posting at Fodors) I'll suggest you use a complete, but short title for your posts.

You probably clicked on "Alaska" when you started the new thread, but that's only for indexing the threads. Your post merely goes into one big "United States" message area, and anyone reading only sees the subject "Confused first timer" ... there might be people who can give you great suggestions who skip right over such a vague thread title. How about "Need Alaska suggestions"? Welcome to Fodors.