Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston-bound Aug. 26-29--advice? Traffic to the Cape?

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've planned a weekend getaway to Boston and wonder what special events/exhibits/off-the-beaten-path suggestions you can share.

My husband wants to visit the Cape, but I'm not so sure I want to spend a whole day in the car for an hour or two "out there." I love the Cape, but he's never been and thinks it's "all right there together."

I'm inclined to plan another trip to just the Cape in the shoulder seasons. Advice?

Valerie

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
sistahlou

Hard to offer advice without knowing what you have in place. Staying in Boston, I'd consider taking the train to Rockport or Gloucester. Are you hoping to do a day trip to the cape or an overnight. Many could suggest fantastic day or overnight trips....more info pleeze

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:51 PM

As a compromise, consider the fast ferry to Provincetown. It leaves from downtown Boston, takes just 90 minutes each way, and P'town is definitely "out there" in every sense of the term. On weekends, you can take the 2 PM ferry out, the 8:30 back. The boat is really nice.

http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/ptown_main.html
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick reply! We have a hotel for all three nights so a day trip to the Cape is best. A train sounds like a great idea--is there a website where I can check schedules?

We have different interests--I love Boston's history, shopping, and people-watching. He loves baseball (Sox are away this weekend), beaches, and history.

Our biggest challenge traveling together has always been to avoid cramming too many "things to do"/expectations into a long weekend.
My favorite travel adage, from a wise, elder in Italy:

"You Americans. You go everywhere, you try to see everything; you end up going nowhere and seeing nothing." I sat right down and had an espresso with him and changed my plans so I could stay longer in one place. He was right, I don't think you can truly appreciate a place as you breeze by . . .
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:54 PM
sistahlou

Amen on the boat trip to PTown!

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

A fast ferry! That sounds like fun. Any recommendations for P-town restaurants for mid-day? I'm liking this idea . . .
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:14 PM

Fast Ferry is a great way to travel! And Provincetown is a blast. You will enjoy the shopping and people-watching, he'll love the ecological history and beach/coastal ecosystem.

I like a couple of the traditional tourist places for dining. Pepe's has a great deck for afternoon seaside dining; great casual food. And the Lobster Pot is a hustle and bustle hopping place with very good food.

If you can, take a Dune Tour. After living in New England all my life, I finally did it last year. It was amazing. We didn't even feel like we were still on earth! There are several options; it would be great to make a reservation ahead of time.

By the way, there is a neat Fenway Park tour that you can take when the Sox are away.
The Duck Tour is always a fun option, too - but not "off the beaten path." Well, maybe literally, but not in the figurative sense you intended.
You might also really enjoy the North End (Italian) Culinery Tour. Google "Michelle Topor." Lots of cooking tips, samples at food stores, and even a couple restaurant recommendations!

Have fun!

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM

Mid-day, Ptown restaurants Short list.
Lobster Pot, Bubalas, Napis, Bayside Betty's, Clem & ursie's.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Sistahlou, Gene & Dreamer (anon, too):

All great ideas, thank you! I feel better about finding things we both like in a short time. I've been to Provincetown once and loved it.

Any thoughts on the North End Feast of St. Anthony? The website says it's on this weekend. Hmm, opposite end of the spectrum from P-town? Variety is the spice . . .