Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston Attractions with 2 -16 year old boys (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-attractions-with-2-16-year-old-boys-300031/)

cindi11764 Feb 7th, 2008 08:51 AM

Boston Attractions with 2 -16 year old boys

We are visiting Boston University. Any suggestions on places it visit in Feb? I checked the Duck Tours they are closed!! Any restaurant suggestions ... attractions - thanks

tchoiniere Feb 7th, 2008 09:02 AM

See if there is a Fenway tour. Museum of Science Tour. Boston Aquarium. Top of the Prudential.

John_T_Cuttino Feb 7th, 2008 09:12 AM

In addition to above suggestions: Harvard Square (eat at Fire and Ice, kids love it). Blue Man Group. Fanueil Hall area and North End, lots of eateries there.

MFNYC Feb 7th, 2008 10:11 AM

The Freedom tour is great. It's givent by the Parks Dept.

On Newbury and Boylston Sts, not for from BU, there are many, many restaurants. We've eaten at Vinny T's (inexpensive Italian), and STephanie's (a nice, and very popular place). Check boston.menupages.com to read user comments, and check menus.

MFNYC Feb 7th, 2008 10:14 AM

It's the Freedom Trail, not the Freedom tour. If you google it, you'll get lots of info.

MFNYC Feb 7th, 2008 10:31 AM

ANother nice place to eat is Brasserie Jo in the Colonnade Hotel. It you happen to be staying in the back bay area, there's a coffee shop on Huntington Ave, about a block away from the Colonnade that has a good inexpensive breakfast.

bennnie Feb 7th, 2008 10:33 AM

If you are traveling Feb 16-23, expect crowds as kid oriented venues as that is school vacation week in Massachusetts.

Skating on the Frog Pond is popular with kids of all ages.

Maybe tickets to a Bruins or Celtics game.

Anonymous Feb 7th, 2008 10:39 AM

"I checked the Duck Tours they are closed!! "

Um, yeah, they don't do so well when there's ice on the river!

TKT Feb 7th, 2008 11:14 AM

check out the improv asylum, kids that age like improv comedy, in my experience.

improvasylum.com

cindi11764 Feb 7th, 2008 11:19 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

wliwl Feb 7th, 2008 01:29 PM

My college boys love Legal Seafood. There are several in various locations. Top notch fish.

They also like visiting Faneuil Hall. Really touristy - but it's fun. Also, I agree with the suggestion of eating in the North End.

The Freedom Trail is pretty interesting, but my kids would want to race through it - especially in February. LOL

shaz60 Feb 7th, 2008 02:45 PM

Last year we went to Boston for a weekend with our two teenage boys during Feb. vacation. We spent two nights at the Doubletree. The boys liked Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market. We went to Blue Man Group which was a big hit with them. DH took one son to the Boat Show (look in the Thursday Boston Globe Calendar to see what's in town when you are). I took my other son to the Museum of Fine Arts for a school project. He moped the entire way but I love the MFA and made him drag his sorry butt through every exhibit. I would also recommend Kings Bowling Alley if it rains or snows. All my kids love the Museum of Science no matter what their age. One son loves the Prudential (mall at the bottom, observation at the top). They also like Harvard Square. The Aquarium is just okay. Good if you don't have an aquarium where you are. Same with the Franklin Park Zoo. Have a great time.