Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   boston and the democratic convention (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-and-the-democratic-convention-435298/)

buttercup May 25th, 2004 06:04 AM

boston and the democratic convention

I'm planning a trip to the Northeast and trying to decide on dates. The Democratic National Convention is in Boston from July 26 - 29 (Mon-Thurs).

We will be flying into and out of Boston and would like to spend a few days there before going on to Maine. Does anyone know how the convention will affect the weekends before and after? Will delegates and others be arriving early or staying late, or is the crowd pretty much limited to the actual days of the convention?

BeachBoi May 25th, 2004 06:07 AM

bc.........I would avoid totally that area..there was another thread last week and how do you spell chaos????

buttercup May 25th, 2004 06:30 AM

Oops, sorry. I did a search but didn't scroll down far enough to see the previous post.

muffy183 May 25th, 2004 08:36 AM

How strange, my boyrfriend and I have been planning (for about a month now, but just recently started looking at accomodations) nearly the same trip.

Originally, we were going to put more emphasis on time spent in Maine, but got excited about Boston and decided to make that the main attraction.

We just found out about the convention, after tirelessly trying to book hotels. We are coming in on the 26th and leaving the 28th or 29th and have decided to stay in Hyannis.

Maybe someone can advise me on this.

I hear the area is pretty touristy, but less expensive, actually has openings, and only about an hour and a half away from Boston (I guess, with normal traffic).

This might be a good option for you as well, as I think we're going to drive to Braintree to catch the subway into Boston.

Anyway, thought I'd share that there's another out there with the same dilemma.

Have a great trip and wish us equal luck!

Anonymous May 25th, 2004 08:48 AM

Using Hyannis as a base for visiting Boston is simply not possible, even in normal times, which your visit surely is not. If you're staying in Hyannis, get used to the idea that you will be having a Cape Cod vacation, not a Boston vacation.

Major roads and public transport in Boston will be closed on parts of those convention days -- the public transportation that is operating will be in much higher demand than usual. And the parking garage at the T station in Braintree fills up before 8 AM even on "normal" days.

JoyceL May 25th, 2004 11:13 AM

All the highways into Boston will be closed starting July 23, the Friday before the convention week.

Unless you already have a hotel room IN Boston (so you do not have to travel in), I advise you to forget about visting the city during this time.

sam May 25th, 2004 11:30 AM

I'd have to agree with the other posters in saying, it will most likely be a nightmare beginning the Thursday afternoon prior, until the Sunday evening after the convention. Here is an article on the closings: http://www.boston.com/news/politics/...tions/traffic/
I'd enjoy the Cape and maybe take a day trip to Provincetown, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, or even Newport, RI. Don't get me wrong though, the cape has it's own traffic issues too, but it shouldn't be nearly what Boston will be. Enjoy your trip!

Anonymous May 25th, 2004 01:13 PM

The actual situation is bad enough without Joyce's exaggeration. The dates for road closures are July 26-29 (i.e., actual dates of the convention, not beginning on 7/23) and the closings begin at 4 PM (not all day) because the convention meets in the evenings.

Popular vacation spots (like the Cape) will be extra-crowded because everyone who works in Boston is being encouraged to take the week off.

bonniebroad May 25th, 2004 01:17 PM

Just visited family in the Boston area, and they and their friends are all livid about the way this convention is going to affect the area. Boston, overall, is going to lose a ton of money because of this thing. (There was a huge article about that in the Sunday Globe.) Go another time!!!

Anonymous May 25th, 2004 01:23 PM

That's what you get when you have a Democratic convention in a city with a Democratic mayor -- in a state where a Republican governor is running the (traffic and security) show.

The brouhaha is especially galling since the candidate (1) lives within walking distance of the convention site (surely this is a first) and (2) now is thinking of not accepting the nomination right away, in order to prolong his pre-nomination status and take advantage of financial rules to more closely parallel the incumbent's extra month.

wantsomesun May 25th, 2004 01:45 PM

If you really want to be in the Boston area during the convention, you might look into my hometown, which is just on the other side of Boston, has a nice beach area and there are 2 hotels in town. Winthrop, is a cute little town and a stone's throw from Boston. You can take the bus to the T (Orient Heights) and head into Boston, or you can drive and park at the stop which is in East Boston, but you have to be there early as the lot gets filled up.

The Winthrop Arms Hotel is very nice and was redone a couple of years ago. My chorus stayed there when we did a concert trip to Boston and thought the rooms were very nicely done and large. Staying there you are also a short walk to Winthrop Beach.

I just looked it up on the web, and trip advisor books rooms there, but you might call the hotel directly for availability.

Have a good time on your vacation, but know that Boston is a small "town" and the convention will make it BEYOND crowded.

ParrotMom May 25th, 2004 02:31 PM

Sad to say...'AVOID THE BOSTON AREA"!! Some idiot has decided to close all the major roadways in and out of Boston...north and south.. Please come after this security debacle.. NYC isn't closing anything..

buttercup May 25th, 2004 02:54 PM

Thanks for the help. I made reservations today. We will fly out of Boston the Saturday before the convention. Our time in Boston will be a week and a half earlier. We're planning about four days in Boston and nearby (want to see Concord), followed by a week in Maine.

It sounds like we'll have a hassle gettin to the airport Saturday, but hopefully we'll be so mellow after a week at the shore that we won't care.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as the trip approaches. Thanks again.

gail May 26th, 2004 02:00 AM

The only problem you should have getting to the airport Saturday is fighting the masses of Bostonians who are trying to leave town during the convention.
Summary for others
Roads closed 4 PM - 1 AM from about 10 miles outside city (Rte 93, Rte 1, Rte 28, Storrow and Memorial Drive)
Commuter rail and subways into North Station - stopping short of North Station for total duration of convention.
Many parking garages closed or limiting length of stay - so you can't just park your car and walk around city.
Those of us who work in Boston and can't (as Boston mayor suggests) take time off, work from home (I am a community health RN - someone tell me how I work from home) are angry, nervous, and dreading this.

Anonymous May 26th, 2004 04:55 AM

gail, come and stay with me -- I live within walking distance to the Red Line.

bennnie May 26th, 2004 05:24 AM

I'm headed out of town that week. We fortunately planned our trip to DC that week before we realized that the dates coincided with the convention. I commute down Rt 1 and can't image what its going to be like.

Buttercup - I'm glad you are coming before the convention. Boston is truly a great city to visit. Enjoy your stay. Be glad to answer any questions.

muffy183 Jun 14th, 2004 11:08 AM

I know this response is coming a little late, a I don't have a computer in my home. But thank you all so much for the advice, it was helpful enough that we decided to pospone our arrival in Hyannis til August 1st. Hotel is booked and we're ready to go. Thanks as well about the advice with the parking situations in Braintree as that's exactly what we were planning...driving there, leaving the car, and taking the subway to Boston. I will keep the 8 AM fill-up in mind when we leave.

Thanks again!

Anonymous Jun 14th, 2004 12:02 PM

I think perhaps you didn't understand the advice you were given. Hyannis just isn't a good base for visiting Boston. Driving from Hyannis to Braintree on a weekday morning will probably take you two hours. The parking garage fills up BEFORE 8 AM, not AT 8 AM -- it could fill up at 7 AM. There are plenty of other places, including Boston suburbs, with economical hotels, where you will not have to hit the road at 5 AM.

muffy183 Jun 18th, 2004 08:29 AM

Are you saying that there will be no where to leave our car once the garage fills up? I guess what I'm not understanding is, are there many places to leave your car throughout the city (that are safe)? It doesn't have to be right by the station, and we are prepared to throw out some cash to do so.

We want to stay in Hyannis to see the cape, as well as seeing Boston. Would it be a better idea to leave for Boston later in the morning, and instead of parking in Braintree, just driving to Boston and paying for a lot while we travel on the subway?

Lastly, (sorry this is so long) would it be feasible to take a ferry from Provincetown to Boston Harbor (I think I read something about this), and execute our visit that way?

I really appreciate the advice you've given me so far, and would appreciate any further you have to offer as it's been very helpful.

Thanks!

gc Jun 18th, 2004 08:57 AM

Muffy,

Hyannis is a great place to stay to see the Cape. Don't even consider it as a base to see Boston.