Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   boston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-436497/)

jcn Sep 19th, 2008 06:32 AM

boston

My husband and I will be in Boston next weekend - our first visit - and will be going to a game at Fenway Friday night. We won't be leaving for home until Sunday at lunch. We'll have one full day to spend sightseeing. Can you narrow down a few things that we absolutely shouldn't miss? I've read about the Freedom Trail and the U.S.S. Constitution. Hubby is a history buff so I'm sure we'll spend some time with that. I'm more interested in some great seafood. Any help will be appreciated.

Also, we're staying at the Westin Copley Place and I already have passes for the beantown trolley.

Thanks!

gail Sep 19th, 2008 07:29 AM

Seems like you already have your weekend planned. If Friday you are goin got Fenway and Saturday you have trolley tickets (I am assuming this is hop on/hop off trolley). And Sunday does not leave you time to do much of anything.

Do Boston seafood search here - much discussion on that. I like Summer Shack - the one in Cambridge, not the one in Boston; I also like Legal Seafoods, although it is now a much bigger chain than when I first encountered it many years ago - but there are just as many Boston people and visitors here who can not stand either of these places. One thing to keep in mind about decent seafood - it is not cheap. If you find inexpensive seafood, run away.

wyatt92 Sep 19th, 2008 07:37 AM

I'll be at the game Friday night too. If you want to have drinks before the game, get down to the Fenway area early, since it's a Yankee game, the bars will fill up early.

For seafood, I like Atlantic Fish on Boylston St, about 2 blocks from your hotel. The best experience for you might be the North End. It's on the Freedom Trail, very historic, European feeling Italian section. There's tons of good restaurants there but if you're interested in seafood, you might try Neptune Oyster or Giacomo's.

china_cat Sep 19th, 2008 08:49 AM

if you want to do seafood dinner in conjunction with Fenway, consider making an early dinner reservation (5:30) at Great Bay, in the Commonwealth Hotel at Kenmore. Its crowded on a game night, but since you can make a reservation, and its kind of upscale, its not as much of a zoo as the other restaurants around Fenway. And they dress code is very lax on game day (except Yankee hats are frowned on :) ). Excellent seafood from the same owners as Radius and Via Matta.

gail Sep 19th, 2008 08:58 AM

You did not ask - but some tips about Fenway. It will be cold - I know it is only the end of September, but it is always cold (except when it is an afternoon game and you are in the bleachers and it is 100 degrees).

Despite what website says, you can bring in a small bag/large pocketbook - they will search it upon entry and tag it as acceptable.

Food at Fenway is bad, even for ballpark food. Eat elsewhere.

The 4th place Yankee fans will be in an evil mood - do not torment them. If by some chance you are a Yankee fan, I am not going to give you any advice. There will be several "Yankees Suck" cheers during the game, although these have been much fewer this year now that it is actually true.

The 8th inning Sweet Caroline singing is probably the strangest thing in professional sports.

jcn Sep 20th, 2008 05:14 AM

Thanks so much for the tips.....especially the one about the weather being cold. We live in the Southeast and were chilly last night at a high school football game. I can only imagine the difference in the north! We'll come prepared - thanks to you. We are not Yankees fans, actually Braves fans to be exact - but it's easy to be a Red Sox fan and Fenway is a place we've always wanted to go.

Also, yes we do have ideas mapped out and that's why I bought trolley tickets, BUT I didn't know what we actually needed to get off the trolley and see. I don't know if it's an informative trolley or just a ride. I guess we'll just play it by ear and follow the signs.

I definitely have a better idea about the seafood! Thanks for the help.

cigalechanta Sep 20th, 2008 09:10 AM

If it's a nice day you can sit outside at the Legal's in Harvard Square at the Charles Hotel. They even have a tented bar. Their oysters are wonderful!

bachslunch Sep 22nd, 2008 04:19 PM

Best seafood option would be Neptune Oyster in the North End. Legal's is certainly OK as is Atlantic Fish, but Neptune is better. Summer Shack is major-league lousy, and if anyone pops on to suggest Barking Crab, Union Oyster House, or Anthony's Pier 4, don't -- just don't.

gail Sep 24th, 2008 01:31 AM

Hope you are still reading these posts - This Friday night is going to be very special at Fenway for Red Sox fans. They are going to retire the number of Johnny Pesky - just so you know what is going on.

Pesky has worked for the Red Sox in some capacity - player and everything else - for 57 of his 89 years. He is still active and takes a special interest in young players - they love him. The foul ball pole is named for him.

The Red Sox have a policy of not retiring any number of a player not in the Hall of Fame - and this is the first exception they have made. There will be some sort of ceremony prior to the game - and he will undoubtedly get an enormous ovation - even if you are not from the area it will be worth getting there early to watch.

On another note, weather may be iffy for that part of the weekend. If by some chance the game is rained out get good info from Red Sox website on when the ticket will be good for - they will play the game, likely as part of a double header on Sat or possibly Sunday (MLB rules there can only be one night game on Sunday, the ESPN game of the week, so more likely Sunday) Pay attention to which game your ticket is good for.

jcn Sep 24th, 2008 04:23 AM

Gail,
Thanks for the info about the weather. Just one concern......we are traveling from the southeast and bought these tickets on Ebay. Our flight leaves at noon on Sunday. Any idea on the best way to sell these tickets if it's a rain-out? We won't be able to stay later on Sunday.

gail Sep 24th, 2008 04:44 AM

I have never sold tickets on ebay. It is worth a call to Ace Tickets (1-800-myseats) to see what they would pay you for them - it is one of last games of season and it is the Yankees, so there is a market for the tickets.

gail Sep 24th, 2008 04:44 AM

One other thought - look out the window and wave to me on your flight - we are flying RDU-Boston late Sunday.

gail Sep 24th, 2008 04:46 AM

Correction - more likely SATURDAY game make-up, weather permitting.

china_cat Sep 24th, 2008 04:49 AM

actually, its possible they could decide to play the game on Monday or even not make up the game at all if it is not pertinent to the standings (which seems likely, unless the Rays start losing games quickly).

On the origin of the "Pesky Pole". Its the foul pole on the first base line. A home run which curves around that pole into the stands is a mere 309 feet, the shortest homer in the majors. When Johnny Pesky was playing, in the forties, he was a light hitting shortstop and his friends, including Ted Williams, used to tease him that the only homers he could hit were the ones that wrapped around that pole.

It should be a fun night. I hope the weather holds for you.

jcn Sep 24th, 2008 04:55 PM

Thanks for the help. I hope the weather is at least good enough for them to start the game. Even if they play one inning, it'll be worth it. Every baseball fan dreams of seeing a game played at Fenway and my husband is a sports nut! My concern is that I was crazy enough to pay $200/ticket for these things and I'm going crazy at the thought of not seeing them play. A reschedule on Saturday would be great. Maybe that'll happen and it won't be on Sunday.

By the way, I made reservations at Summer Shack for Friday afternoon before the game. I've just gotta try this lobster roll.....we don't have that in South Carolina.....and I figured that would be a good place to go in our game clothes. We are planning to go to the North End on Saturday . I just noticed, Gail, that you said you didn't like Summer Shack in Boston. Maybe we'll have a good experience and either way it'll be something new. You never can tell by the website how good the food will be.

I've even considered changing our plans, losing the baseball tickets, and going somewhere else. Boston is expecting lots of rain according to the weather channel. Surely, there are things we can do there, even in the rain though, right? I don't mind walking and holding an umbrella as long as the wind won't knock us down. Any ideas of where to spend a rainy day?

china_cat Sep 24th, 2008 07:41 PM

oh, I do hope you get to see the game, it would be such a shame to miss out! Sorry the weather report is such a downer :(

you can always spend some time in the museums (the MFA, the Gardner, the ICA), or go to the Kennedy Library, or the Aquarium in the rain.

I actually like the Summer Shack, so I think you'll be okay. If you like clams, the grilled clams with garlic are really good.

escargot Sep 24th, 2008 08:11 PM

Will keep my fingers crossed for you weather wise - right now, unfortunately, the weekend looks like a wash out for Friday and Saturday - with almost 100% chance of rain - but it is New England, so you never know -it has held off before long enough for a game - I would be sure to bring a good raincoat with a hood or even one of those traveling ponchos - a strong umbrella and keep in mind shoes that are waterproof or dry quickly - or carry a change -

Sunday right now looks about 50% chance of rain -

there is PLENTY to do in the rain if you have the right attitude, which it sounds like you do - you won't melt - so if you dress accordingly you can still have fun-

good you have the trolly tix, you can hop on and off at places of interest -

and as mentioned, no shortage of museums - and your hotel is close to the Boston Public Library which is full of history, great exhibits, murals, etc -
and best of all it is free -
so keep that in mind as a possibility -
www.bpl.org

*If you don't get to see the whole game, or a game, see if they are still running the tours of Fenway park and at least your husband will get to see more of it that way !

jcn Sep 25th, 2008 04:16 AM

Thanks for all the tips! I'll give you a trip report when we get back and let you know all the cool things we found to do. It's been over a year since hubby and I have been away without the kids so it will be fun just to re-connect, regardless of which sights we get to see. We just always want to make the most of being in a new place.

26 hours and counting...............

gail Sep 25th, 2008 04:26 AM

Depending on where your seats are at Fenway, many of the seats are covered. You are also allowed to bring umbrella into Park, just not allowed to have up during the game.

Love2RV Sep 25th, 2008 07:53 AM

I just returned last weekend from a girls weekend at the Westin-Copley. Nice Hotel! One thing we did that I thought was neat was to take the elevator up to the 50th floor of the Prudential Building. There's are Skyline Walk where you can view Boston 360 degrees. Also ate at Legal Seafoods, which was pricey but good. Enjoy!