Booking shows in April

Search

Booking shows in April

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booking shows in April

Hi, we're coming over in April with a 13 yr old and a 17 yr old and are thinking of booking a show in New York, any recommendations and how should I book, I've heard Ticketmaster are over priced in their fees but is there an alternative?
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:50 AM

Esme, if you want to see the most popular shows (Hairspray, the Producers) I think ticketmaster is your only option (besides going to the theater), although I understand sometimes tickets are available on ebay from people who can't use them.

There are, however, a number of websites that offer discount tickets to less popular shows or ones that have been playing for a while. Things like Rent (very popular with teens-less so with adults), 42nd St, Phantom, Wicked are currently available. A few of these sites are

playbill.com
theatermania.com
hitshowclub.com

The playbill website will also lead you to buying any ticket, whether discount or not along with reviews.

There are also some off Broadway shows (less expensive) like De La Guarda that are popular with teens & available on discount.

The TKTS booth (like in Leicester Square)also offers discounts same day of performance but requires standing on line & paying cash.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Unfortunately, Esme, you have little choice in buying tickets for hit shows. You've got to go through Ticketmaster or Telecharge (depending on which the show uses, obviously).
Also unfortunately, it's too early to find any discount offers for shows in April. You'll probably have to wait until February to find any offers. So while the previous info provided is accurate, you'll have to wait awhile to take advantage of it!
What particular shows are you interested in?
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mclaurie and Howard, I;m sort of thinking of Phantom (love it to bits) or maybe The Lion King if it's still showing somewhere otherwise don't really know what's on. Probably could wait until February I guess and see what's about.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 05:10 AM

For Lion King, I would suggest getting tickets now. They will NOT be available at a discount in April. As for Phantom, you can wait and probably will be able to get them at a discount.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Esme, let me step in here and ask what your requirements or interests are for the show you see? I may be misinterpreting what you're saying, but I get the idea you're only mentioning those two shows because you've seen them and liked them. You really might want to do something newer and more special. The big hit that might appeal to the kids is HAIRSPRAY -- a whole lot of fun, and not available in London (am I right in assuming you're from the UK?). You would want to get tickets for that now as it too would not be available by discount in April.
Sure Lion King is great, but most people I know liked it better in London where the sound was better. (I only saw it in London, so can't compare.) And nearly anyone who's seen it both places will tell you to see Phantom in London rather than New York. So since you're coming to Broadway, I'd suggest you stick with something a little more "Broadway". Wicked, a new musical about the early lives and friendship of the two witches from Wizard of Oz is another good choice.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 04:28 AM
GoTravel

May I also suggest you purchase your tickets now? April is a very very busy month in Manhattan.