Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Booked the new Hampton Inn in Soho! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/booked-the-new-hampton-inn-in-soho-451864/)

tambennett Nov 17th, 2008 05:07 AM

Booked the new Hampton Inn in Soho!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions for our NYC trip! We finally decided on the new Hampton Inn in Soho thanks to a suggestion from mclaurie! So know could ya'll please recommend restaurants in the area! Also, I think we are going to only one show! Which one should we see? The kids are 16 and 11!

mclaurie Nov 17th, 2008 05:17 AM

Just did on your other thread.

mclaurie Nov 17th, 2008 05:20 AM

Btw, many of Aduchamp's recos are downtown. Do you know that maps.google.com gives walking and public transport directions now? For the most part you can just type in the names of places (ie Hampton Inn Soho nyc to Lombardi's pizza NYC) You usually have to select the correct listing by clicking it.

tambennett Nov 17th, 2008 05:24 AM

Wow that's interesting! I will definitely check that out! One thing about that site is that I"m not sure how often it's updated! When I used it last night to look at the Hampton Inn. The street view was when the hotel was still under construction! Hopefully that won't affect walking directions though! Thanks again!

mclaurie Nov 17th, 2008 05:32 AM

True. Very often the photos are older but for walking directions, shouldn't matter.
hopstop.com
is another good way to get directions but you don't get any photos and you generally have to know addresses.

mp Nov 17th, 2008 07:22 AM

That's a very convenient to transportation neighborhood. The block itself is a little industrial - and gets backed up at rush hours with Holland Tunnel traffic, but you're close to lots of places. Across 6th Avenue is a reliable Cal/Mex place, full of locals, called Lupe's. You're also close to Mooncake foods - very tasty, asian inspired food great for inexpensive lunch and dinner. For a more upscale, terrific seafood dinner, try Aquagrill on Spring St. There is also Giorgione, a bit pricey but delicious Italian, on Spring and Greenwich St. - run by the original owner of Dean and DeLuca.

Check out menus and prices at www.menupages.com

joebear Nov 17th, 2008 09:23 AM

We are staying at the Embassy Suites coming in on Monday night..

Where is a good place to get a quick dinner? W

e are flying in at 7:00 so I was thinking we would eat later dinner and turn in early so get a good start on the first morning. But I am sure our teen girls will want to explore a little.

What is a good choice for that time of evening? HOw late are the stores opne.

tambennett Nov 17th, 2008 03:42 PM

joebear, Did you mean to post in this blog? Are you staying in NYC?

tambennett Nov 18th, 2008 05:16 AM

mclaurie- Once again I am thankful for your hotel rec! The airlines just changed our flight out on the 31st! We are now flying out of LaGaurdia, so we are a little closer and have more time to enjoy our last day! I also booked the Blue Man Group for Sat evening, the kids are excited about that! Although my daughter says "Mom that's not really a broadway show", so I will try to book something else! Any suggestions?

mclaurie Nov 18th, 2008 06:03 AM

Unfortunately all the discounts currently listed on broadwaybox.com expire before your trip. I'd wait a bit to see which are extended unless you're prepared to splurge on something like Wicked or Lion King which are never discounted.

Shows that would be good for your kids that are usually discounted are Hairspray, Spamalot, Mama Mia (maybe more for girls), Grease, Mary Poppins.

Your other option is to take a chance and wait til you arrive and get same day tickets from the TKTS booth. There's one at the South sTreet seaport that's not that far from your hotel and it's less crowded than the one in Times Square. They sell matinee tickets there the day before the performance but evening performance same day. Info at
tdf.org/tkts
Usually same shows are available that are on broadwaybox. Seats are generally better on broadwaybox though.

joebear, Gigino's is an Italian restaurant right near the hotel that has some nice views of the harbor. That's one idea. They also have a kids menu.
http://www.gigino-trattoria.com/

joebear Nov 18th, 2008 06:26 AM

Yes, I did mean to post in this blog...staying at the Embassy Suites which is close to the New Hampton...

mclaurie Nov 18th, 2008 07:49 AM

They're more than a mile apart joe.

joebear Nov 22nd, 2008 05:42 AM

Yep, that they are....

I actually made reservations there also but more for the $ at Embassy but new has lots of appeal!!