COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Book hotels now for June/July western trip -- or wait?

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:16 PM
sjr
Original Poster

We are going from Wisconsin -- to Black Hills, Yellowstone, Tetons, through Salt Lake City, over to SF, down the California Coast, over to LV, Grand Canyon, Utah Parks, Colorado, and home.

We are going to be on the road between 18, to 21 days. I have been holding off on reserving hotel rooms -- because as the trip goes on towards the middle and end -- the dates that we plan to be at a particular place might be off from 1 to 3 days.

But now I am worried! I just booked our 3rd night of the trip (in Cody, WY) -- and found that half of the hotels are sold out (for June 19th, a Monday!)

Will this be the case everywhere? Should I start booking now; with the later stops having to book 2 or 3 nights, and then later cancelling?

Also, I booked our Yellowstone Park Lodging 4 and 1/2 months ago. Should I have done the same thing for the Grand Canyon (South Rim) (about July 1st)? How about Moab (for Arches and Canyonlands)(about July 2nd or 3rd)? Or the California Coast between SF and LA(about June 26th, 27th, 28th)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM

This is far from too early to book your vacation. I would book your accomodations as soon as possible.
If your unsure where you'll be, try to find places that let you cancel up to 24 hours in advance. Some will let you cancel up to 4pm on the date of arrival.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM

I book as soon as I map out my itinerary and then I check back as departure time arrives to see if better deals are available--sometimes they are. On a recent trip to LA, I saved $30 a night by double checking for a better rate as the trip drew near.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:25 PM
trippinkpj

That is a popular time in all the places you listed. Yes, book now! I think those are weekdays for the Cal Coast, which is better than the weekend. But still book now, LOL!

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:30 PM

If you want to stay at the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon then as soon as you can would probably be a good idea.

I doubt Moab will be necessary in the summer, but then I only camp...so what do I know.

Utahtea

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM

agree with previous replies, esp. for Grand Canyon -- those lodgings are booked MONTHS in advance!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM

Book immediately!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:34 PM
sjr
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

I have now booked lodging through the first 10 days of our trip; currently working my way down the California Coast.

But I jumped ahead, and booked our 1 night in Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim -- Xanterra)!
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Check out this site: http://www.blackhillsmarket.com

My friend is compiling info for people interested in staying in some of the nicer, out-of-the-way places in the Black Hills.

~CJ