COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Book hotels now for June/July western trip -- or wait?

Book hotels now for June/July western trip -- or wait?

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13
Book hotels now for June/July western trip -- or wait?

We are going from Wisconsin -- to Black Hills, Yellowstone, Tetons, through Salt Lake City, over to SF, down the California Coast, over to LV, Grand Canyon, Utah Parks, Colorado, and home.

We are going to be on the road between 18, to 21 days. I have been holding off on reserving hotel rooms -- because as the trip goes on towards the middle and end -- the dates that we plan to be at a particular place might be off from 1 to 3 days.

But now I am worried! I just booked our 3rd night of the trip (in Cody, WY) -- and found that half of the hotels are sold out (for June 19th, a Monday!)

Will this be the case everywhere? Should I start booking now; with the later stops having to book 2 or 3 nights, and then later cancelling?

Also, I booked our Yellowstone Park Lodging 4 and 1/2 months ago. Should I have done the same thing for the Grand Canyon (South Rim) (about July 1st)? How about Moab (for Arches and Canyonlands)(about July 2nd or 3rd)? Or the California Coast between SF and LA(about June 26th, 27th, 28th)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
sjr is offline  
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,294
This is far from too early to book your vacation. I would book your accomodations as soon as possible.
If your unsure where you'll be, try to find places that let you cancel up to 24 hours in advance. Some will let you cancel up to 4pm on the date of arrival.
tcapp is offline  
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,966
I book as soon as I map out my itinerary and then I check back as departure time arrives to see if better deals are available--sometimes they are. On a recent trip to LA, I saved $30 a night by double checking for a better rate as the trip drew near.
happytrailstoyou is offline  
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:25 PM
Posts: n/a
That is a popular time in all the places you listed. Yes, book now! I think those are weekdays for the Cal Coast, which is better than the weekend. But still book now, LOL!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:30 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,189
If you want to stay at the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon then as soon as you can would probably be a good idea.

I doubt Moab will be necessary in the summer, but then I only what do I know.


utahtea is offline  
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 66
agree with previous replies, esp. for Grand Canyon -- those lodgings are booked MONTHS in advance!
spunki is offline  
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 418
Book immediately!
irishswampyankee is offline  
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13
Thanks, everyone.

I have now booked lodging through the first 10 days of our trip; currently working my way down the California Coast.

But I jumped ahead, and booked our 1 night in Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim -- Xanterra)!
sjr is offline  
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Check out this site:

My friend is compiling info for people interested in staying in some of the nicer, out-of-the-way places in the Black Hills.

CalamityJane is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Apr 18th, 2014 05:22 AM
Mar 29th, 2013 04:49 AM
Jan 23rd, 2005 05:22 PM
Jul 28th, 2003 05:12 AM
Caribbean Islands
Apr 4th, 2003 11:15 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information