Boca Grande/Baby Friendly?

Mar 1st, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster
Boca Grande/Baby Friendly?

I am going to Boca Grande in March with my 18 month old twins. We are staying at a condo that my parents will be renting (they aren't there now or I would ask them to look). Is there any place to rent cribs? high chairs? for our 18 month old twins? Any child friendly restaurants or more specifically restaurants to avoid that are NOT child friendly?
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:10 PM
I know there's a place that rents out that stuff - try Island Bike n' Beach. If they don't rent baby stuff, they'll know who does.

I only know about the more casual restaurants - we've been taking our kids to Boca for years.

South Beach, near the southern end of the island, is the place I dream about when it's cold and snowy at home. It's very casual; you can sit outside with swimsuit and bare feet at tables in the sand (need clothes to sit inside) - it's great for kids. Depending on where your condo is, you may be able to walk to it. They have the world's best onion rings.

The Loose Caboose, in the middle of town, has ice cream and lunch food (though we've never gotten anything but ice cream). Loons on a Limb (great grits) or the bakery just down the street are good for breakfast.

PJ's Seagrille is a little more formal, but still very welcoming to kids. Has good seafood, and a good variety of it.

The Fishery is my favorite seafood place; it's right off the island in Placida (and they have great hush puppies too). You can go outside the restaurant and see crabs scuttling in the undergrowth. There's a place to buy fresh fish right next door, and if you're lucky, the shrimp boat will be in and you can buy very fresh shrimp. A shrimp boat also docks at Widden's Marina - take your kids there to see the pig and the other animals.

The Pink Elephant is more formal, maybe I wouldn't take kids that young there (though I probably took my kids there at that age) unless it's a special occasion.

For further thoughts: rent a jog stroller or bikes and a trailer, so you can take the twins biking on the bike path, or from your condo into town. The bike path runs the entire length of the island. There's a large playground at the community center.

Have a great time, but don't tell too many people about Boca Grande...

Search this Thread