Boat vs. Zodiac (RIBs) north shore Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deciding between the Zodiac trip for Na Pali coast or a nice slower boat! Husband wants the Zociac but it seems a bit rough and bumpy and you may not be able to enjoy the sights since you are bouncing around-any comments or comparisons would be helpful. thanks
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 11:37 AM

The power cats are by no means slow. It was the best of both. We liked the Napali Catamaran tour out of Hanalei Bay. we took this May.

Bill
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM

we just did the power cat and it was so wild, rough and bumpy (a true e ticket ride if you're familar with that term!) that we were sooooo glad we didn't take zodiac!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 01:17 PM

A few years ago I did a tour with Na Pali Catamaran, so this past summer I thought the zodiac tour with Captain Andy's would be fun. It was, but tiring! You have to hold on to a rope handle the entire time, so taking pictures is almost impossible while you're in transit. They do slow every once in a while and you can snap a few photos then (even so, I was glad I had my waterproof camera). They stop on a beach for lunch, weather permitting, and that was very nice.

My personal advice is to not do the zodiac if this will be your first tour of the Na Pali coast. The slower boat allows you to just enjoy the scenery and take pictures without having to hold on so you don't fly off the boat! I also vastly preferred the Na Pali Catamaran tour out Hanalei Bay, because you get great scenery right from the get-go. Yes, we did have to get up very early to drive up there for the morning tour, but we had wonderful scenery during the whole tour. It was nice to see the other side of the island on the zodiac, but not as dramatic, and I definitely recommend the better scenery for a first-timer. Of course, if you're considering a zodiac out of the north shore, this won't be an issue.

The zodiacs do go into more sea caves, and that was very cool. Of course, depends on the sea conditions that day.

If I ever do another tour, it would be with Na Pali Catamaran. And, as Bill says, they do go pretty fast, especially on the return trip -- so be sure you're snapping photos at the beginning! If your main objective is a fun adventure, go with the zodiac; if it's scenery and picture-taking, go with the slower boat.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM

My husband and I took the zodiac tour last September, and although it was beautiful, it was incredbily rough. We are fit and in our thirties and both ended up bruised. Take the other boat; you'll still see the gorgeous coast without the physcial toll!
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM

We went with NaPali SeaBreeze on a cat. It was great fun. In fact, we road on the bow on the way back & the waves were huge! We were going airborne. The swells were so big that they cancelled the afternoon tour. Saw the folks on the zodiac. They looked pretty miserable. With the wild seas that day, we were thankful to be on a cat.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Seabreeze is your best bet. Captain Bob is very experienced and will not fool around with your safety. When the seas get rough, your stomach will suffer. Zodiac is good, but I would not recommend it. Also, on Seabreeze you will be able to get some beautiful close up shots. It is fast, but you will not breeze by and miss some magnificent sights. It leaves from Anini Beach.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Another vote here for Captain Andy's catamaran. I like to get up and walk around the boat. I think I would restless sitting that whole time. I assume you have to sit the whole time on the zodiac anyway.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM

We took Napali Sea Breeze just last Wednesday and were very happy about it. I saw the Zodiacs, and I'm quite sure I would have hated it. Too bouncy, no back support, hard to get in and out of, and no shade whatsover. I imagine it is exciting and if you are a bit younger and a bit more slender than us, it could be fun. But for me....not in a million years.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 07:10 PM

It should be noted that Captain Andy's is not a power cat. That's not to say it isn't a wonderful boat or it's unsafe, but it is considerably slower than the power cats.

From my experience, the first boat out of the habor and the first anchoring at the designated snorkel area was the Na Pali Catamaran.

There are a few choices from the north side and it's a matter of individual preference as to which boat is right for you.